Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm linkquote
Hey guys,

Not sure if I posted this but about a year ago I pulled the trigger on a 1980 P125X that has a real nice (not perfect) body. I got it for $1200 and am very happy with it. It started right up when I was at the sellers house and also ran when I got it home. However, it was popping out of every gear. I have been extremely busy getting our winery building finished and the business open so it has sat for the last year slowly leaking two stroke oil. Now that I have the business open I have a bit of time and want to get back to this thing. My hope is to have it rideable by the time it warms up for some summer fun.

So...Before I dive in what do you think I am looking at to get it to stop jumping out of gear. And what will be involved getting the 2 stroke oil to stop leaking?

Cheers,

Alan

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 am

Hooked
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe

Hooked
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 am linkquote
I haven't had to deal with this (yet), so no personal experience, but since no one else has stepped up, I'll give my 2 cents. The most likely cause of jumping out of gear is a worn shifter cross (aka cruciform). If you do a search here you will get lots of information.

How many miles are on your scoot? High mileage would tend to confirm a worn cruciform. Low mileage would tend to point toward something else. Replacing the cruciform requires splitting the cases. If you have high mileage, you probably should do a general refresh including new bearings and seals while you are in there.

Leaking 2T oil while parked is probably a crack in the oil tank or in the hose running from the tank to the carbureter.
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0251s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]