OP
@winesalot avatar
UTC

@winesalot avatar
UTC quote
Hey guys,

Not sure if I posted this but about a year ago I pulled the trigger on a 1980 P125X that has a real nice (not perfect) body. I got it for $1200 and am very happy with it. It started right up when I was at the sellers house and also ran when I got it home. However, it was popping out of every gear. I have been extremely busy getting our winery building finished and the business open so it has sat for the last year slowly leaking two stroke oil. Now that I have the business open I have a bit of time and want to get back to this thing. My hope is to have it rideable by the time it warms up for some summer fun.

So...Before I dive in what do you think I am looking at to get it to stop jumping out of gear. And what will be involved getting the 2 stroke oil to stop leaking?

Cheers,

Alan
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe

Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
UTC quote
I haven't had to deal with this (yet), so no personal experience, but since no one else has stepped up, I'll give my 2 cents. The most likely cause of jumping out of gear is a worn shifter cross (aka cruciform). If you do a search here you will get lots of information.

How many miles are on your scoot? High mileage would tend to confirm a worn cruciform. Low mileage would tend to point toward something else. Replacing the cruciform requires splitting the cases. If you have high mileage, you probably should do a general refresh including new bearings and seals while you are in there.

Leaking 2T oil while parked is probably a crack in the oil tank or in the hose running from the tank to the carbureter.
OP
@winesalot avatar
UTC

@winesalot avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, I appreciate the reply
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Sorry I missed this. Welcome.

Good advice above, but a few things should be checked before splitting the cases.
First, make sure the cables (shifter and clutch) are adjusted out properly. Scoothelp has some good how-to's.

Also, make sure the selector box and it's components are in good shape. They do wear and I had this happen on a P with only 2500 miles or so on the clock. It's a much easier lift to check all that stuff before splitting the cases for the shift cross.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
Can you locate the general area of the source of the leak ? Dripping of the bottom of the motor or mostly on the floor of the rear body ? Cracked oil sight 'glass' is not uncommon.
OP
@winesalot avatar
UTC

@winesalot avatar
UTC quote
I have decided to pull the entire engine/transmission/clutch assembly and send it off to a pro to fix. I love tinkering and fixing my own stuff but I have a full time job and a new winery so I just don't have time. And I want to ride this thing in the spring. Once I pull the engine I'll dive in to the oil tank/hose leak.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]