@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Take great care when packing up your gear people. Either for storage or shipment. These old machines are becoming artifacts and little bits and bobs are becoming more and more scarce each year.

In rebuilding a 1980 P200 I have been pretty surprised at times to find many parts unavailable. Creating a scavenger hunt to get the bike complete in its original form. I know... I know... "it's just a P". Well, they used to say that about sprints, and Rallys, etc. etc.

I will tell on myself. VRM sent me a stator at a super fair price that needed to be rewired. I was doing some horse trading with Gick and decided to send him the stator (with some other stuff) to rewire. Wadded up some packing paper around stuff, tossed in some Styrofoam, taped up the box and dropped it off at the post office.

Short story long... two of the coils got snapped in shipping. Because I was in a rush (read: "careless").

The p200 AC/DC combo stators or even coils aren't easily found any more. Suckville.

So when packing/shipping - Take your time. Pad it well. Pad it some more.

This stuff ain't growing on Piaggio or LML trees any more.
Absolute shit show of my own making.
Absolute shit show of my own making.
⚠️ Last edited by Birdsnest on UTC; edited 1 time
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Sucks that parts are becoming more rare even on p's. I was wondering when people would start treating p200 like older models. Been holding onto a rusted p frame considering cutting the rust tunnel out and welding new clean pieces back in like one would with a more valuable frame thinking that it may be worth it in the near future to not discard p frames that are rusted like this.

I'm sure you and Gick have a plan in works, but it may be worth it to contact the manufacturer of these replacement coils to see if they have a comparable coil. This is the only p coil I can find on their website. Its probably not the correct one, but I'm sure they will provide you with some answers.

https://ceabshop.it/collections/vespa-p200e-vsx1-77-82-1serie/products/bobina-accensione-interna-vespa-px-et3-pe-pk
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
P/PXs are really going up in price around here and rightly so for the best scooters ever made.
@mod_eric_the_skin avatar
UTC

Hooked
'59 VBA, '05 Stella 177, '80 P125X

Hooked
UTC quote
I have what I believe is a 200 stator, which has one bad coil, the one with the white insulation, and maybe Gick can salvage the two from it. Yours for the asking.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Sweeeeeet!!!! So kind of you. I'll take it!

PM details please. I am happy to send you some coin and pay postage.
You really just made my day.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
PM sent.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
That looks like an ac stator by the wiring colors, but maybe someone rewired it? Just saying check your coils.
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
ah snap.. I think you are right.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
They look identical. How can you tell one is ac and one is ac/DC when all the coils appear to be the same between them?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
It's been a long while since I did it, but coils aren't that hard to wind.

If you want to send me the broken coils, I'll give reproducing them a shot, both because I like weird problems like that and I'm a masochist.
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
It's been a long while since I did it, but coils aren't that hard to wind.

If you want to send me the broken coils, I'll give reproducing them a shot, both because I like weird problems like that and I'm a masochist.
Lolz! You sir, are indeed a masochist, but a good egg and a credit to the 50 yard dash!
Quote:
They look identical. How can you tell one is ac and one is ac/DC when all the coils appear to be the same between them?
It's easy to tell a DC from an AC stator as the "DC only" ones dont have that exciter coil with white paper. (If the pick up is 12 o clock it is at 11 o'clock). All the coils on a DC-only stator look like the copper coils. (Think Vape or Malossi EI's.)

AC/DC combos are more tricky...
The combo AC/DC stator IIRC and understand correctly (which is doubtful) have the grounds wired in differently to the coils... I am reaching way back to the periphery of a vague memory of youtube video from ages ago, so I may have that wrong.

I think what SDJohn noticed was no yellow (or yellows) coming off to the junction box. Hence an AC only stator. I think... most of the P era, non battery, ac-only stators will lack the yellow wire(s) that you see on the combo AC/DC stators.

Someone please feel free to shine a more informed light.

My answer is only a little better than a spitball.
Where is PoiDog when you need him?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Yup, no yellows was my thought
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0720s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0418s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]