@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
I've opened the cases to investigate. To my untrained eye everything looks pretty good. Does anything there look more worn than it should be? Could the kickstart gear have worked it's way out of position somehow? I've put the cases back together without bolting and kickstarter seems to be working. Before I split the cases it would engage then slip. In the last photo, the old gear is on the left.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
The flat spring in the fly side looks like its out of line. Maybe use a PX spring on top?
End of the primary looks pretty chewed. Might be able to clean it up with a file.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
UTC quote
Looks like the ends of some of the teeth on the tree that the kick start gear engages are all mashed off.
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Yeah the top of the tree is a bit worn but still seems to be tying in well with the kickstart gear. Everything seems to be engaging now but there's no compression of course. I guess I'll just replace it while I have the cases open. Might try the little PX spring too if it looks like I can get it to stay there without falling into the gears.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
UTC quote
You could increase the strength of the spring but there is still little for the gear to catch on at least on part of this gear. Could explain why it catches then slips.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Whenever this has happened to me it's something to do with the spacing of the clutch in relation to the brass thingee that moves when the lever moves or cable too tight... I've even managed to get the clutch to work in "reverse" (ie. not touching lever & clutch slips, pull lever in & it engages).
I've fixed it by;
A. When removing/disassembling the motor, undo the adjuster, but leave cables connected, then you never need to adjust them.
B. Add a bit of OUTER cable to end of cables so it's easier to set-up the adjusters (an Il Ginchi trick, also for rear brake cable)
C. Check how close the washer thingee that covers the nut on clutch/crank is to the brass thingee on the clutch cover (that moves when lever moves) & add SHIM/WASHER before putting clutch in, so it is nice n close, but not touching once cables are adjusting.
D. Check clutch plates, clean them (acetone/petrol...) & sand with 120grit to roughen them up a bit

Ohh, & even while testing USE A BOLT WITH NUT for the kickstart, else you will SNAP the kickstarter lever
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
UTC quote
Should have clean ramps with sharp corners like this
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
I think the photo makes the top of the tree look worse than it is. It really doesn't look very worn to me but I've never looked at one up close before. I have to pull the cush drive apart to replace the tree, right? Looks like a pain in the arse of a job. I guess I'll just have to do it while I have it out. There's a fair rattle from the cush drive when I shake it. Could that be the issue? I did a forum search and found a thread that said it could be a clutch issue Callum. My mate that owned the scoot before me said he never had any clutch issues, just the kickstart slipping. What's the normal set up to bolt the clutch to the shaft? I had a plain nut and a knurled washer. No locking set up at all. It's a "70 Super 150.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Try adjusting clutch first.
The one we did seemed to work ok, but high compression at startup was causing the slipping, it was a minor adjustment to get it right
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Try adjusting clutch first.
The one we did seemed to work ok, but high compression at startup was causing the slipping, it was a minor adjustment to get it right
Too late for that. The motor is totally dismantled. How noisy is the cush drive normally? I'd imagine that the springs in there should be held firmly in place and shouldn't rattle? I'm going to punch the rivets out and have a look as I don't want to reinstall if if it's buggered. Speaking to my mate that owned the scoot, he said that it did make a weird, rattling noise when he down shifted. Also, as suggested, is it ok to hit the top gear of the tree with a file to flatten it out a bit?
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Pretty sure of they rattle, they're broken.
I sheared the drive gear off the cush & not have custom lathed/machined tensile 10 (or 12? or bloody strong) rivets... no more issues!
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Cheers. I'll get a cush rebuild kit. Shopping list is getting long.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
I cannot remember which I put in Speedy, but guess it's NOT the generic kit, possibly Polini. The springs were stronger/thicker, so no more issues...
Plus the rivets being so damn hard, theres no chance of changing them.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Here is a post with a wee bit on your topic..

75 MPH (Page 2)
SubEtherBASS wrote:
1 bit is the centre gear in th clutch, the other requires a cush drive rebuild.
Its not as daunting as expected to do

I snapped the pins on the clutch drive gear a few times (too much torque?), & ended having to get tensile 10+ pins custom made... It no longer falls apart
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Callum. Found a couple of YouTube videos of how to rebuild the cush. Looks pretty straight forward. With that, new kick starter gear and a light file on the top of the tree I'll hopefully have it sorted.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Whacking the end of the new rivet so it splays out nicely and evenly is the hardest bit. When you do the first one, just tap rather than whack it till you get the hang of hitting squarely.

If you have issues with drilling out the old rivets (ie. cannot keep the hole central) try centre punch, or small drill to get it started, but no stress if you are off centre, just go to a bigger drill bit than the rivet & by the time you will be at the stage where you're worried about damaging the gear, the plate will already be drilled enough that you can prise the plate off once all the rivets have been drilled. If you still cannot get the rivets out, there is always the other side.

Ensure that they are nice n tight once you have finished, as loose rivets WILL wear slots in the holes... ie ensure both ends are hard against the plates, rather than 1 end (usually the unhammered end) has moved a wee bit while hammering & feels tight (coz the hammered end is interference fit) & there is a wee gap between it & the plate), coz once it is in use the rivet will move & loosen.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
UTC quote
" Also, as suggested, is it ok to hit the top gear of the tree with a file to flatten it out a bit? "
I think you'd just be wasting your time. The tops of the gear teeth are not flat. Surely someone on here can provide you with a decent stock tree. If I had one, I'd send it to you.
OP
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Moto64. I guess I'll put one on the shopping list. Best to do it once and right.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
I just did a kick gear swap on my PX150 with the P200 engine. The kick gear was completely smashed and worn out badly, it was all chewed up however your kick start gear doesn't look that bad to me. Here is what mine looked like(see picture below).

To me your problem is the first gear on the Christmas tree, it looks smashed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]