@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
A Thanksgiving Tradition for me, and my 6 children.

Agree or disagree with his politics, this 1967* recording was certainly representative of the times and of the issues being faced by so many youths.
The story he tells is essentially accurate - as recorded in the local newspaper*.
Arlo and Officer Obey (William J. Obanhein) later became fast friends.
Arlo (Woody Guthrie's son) purchased the deconsecrated church and it is now a community center.

* 1965 incident...
"YOUTHS ORDERED TO CLEAN UP RUBBISH MESS"
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/12/b1/1012b1d8463c1f7bdc41b6c3a72143c3.jpg

My Group W Bench every week.....

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

O.S.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
I just read the original article from The Berkshire Eagle in November 1965.
I play it every Thanksgiving.
Wishing everyone here on this side of the world a Happy Thanksgiving.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
God knows how many times I played that LP. Never on Thanksgiving.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
God knows how many times I played that LP. Never on Thanksgiving.
There is at least one radio station near hear that makes it a tradition to play that every Turkey Day!
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
We don't celebrate TD here.
But Retired Old Farts like me do take a listen to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant now and again for a sing-along...

and we now can even legally partake of 'Wisdom Cabbage' or 'wacky tabacky' as long as we grow it ourselves. Razz emoticon
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
That song and the movie which came out in 1969 have always sumewhat defined that era for me. I was living in Bostin in 1967 and 1968. I went through my pre-induction physical in June of 1968 at the Boston entrance and examination station. The scene in the movie rings pretty true for me. I even remember waiting in a line with a bunch of other guys and one of them having a large stack of papers. Much like the movie, it turned out to be his arrest and trial records. He was hoping to be inducted to avoid a long jail sentence. Heck of a time. The Army would take most anybody and there were even guys being drafted into the Marines because they could no longer get enough volunteers.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
The Army would take most anybody and there were even guys being drafted into the Marines because they could no longer get enough volunteers.
Yep my brother-in-law by first wife was standing in line at the draft board when the Marine Guy comes walking down the line and pointing to they guys he wanted to "volunteer" to become Marines. Patrick was lucky and got passed over.

Then I guess while he was going through Boot Camp someone found out he had a four year degree from Syracuse University and was part way through Fordham Law College in NYC. Next thing he knew he was shipped to Carlisle Army Barracks in PA and spent his time in the Army writing speeches for Generals!
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
we now can even legally partake of 'Wisdom Cabbage' or 'wacky tabacky' as long as we grow it ourselves. Razz emoticon
My daughter, when she was 15 years old, once casually referred to cannabis as "jazz lettuce" and I felt monumentally conflicted. I mean, we DO live in California - and that IS hilarious.

Jazz Lettuce.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
DiBiasio wrote:
My daughter, when she was 15 years old, once casually referred to cannabis as "jazz lettuce" and I felt monumentally conflicted. I mean, we DO live in California - and that IS hilarious.

Jazz Lettuce.
Priceless.
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
Yep my brother-in-law by first wife was standing in line at the draft board when the Marine Guy comes walking down the line and pointing to they guys he wanted to "volunteer" to become Marines. Patrick was lucky and got passed over.

Then I guess while he was going through Boot Camp someone found out he had a four year degree from Syracuse University and was part way through Fordham Law College in NYC. Next thing he knew he was shipped to Carlisle Army Barracks in PA and spent his time in the Army writing speeches for Generals!
I was going through a "phase", of some sort, at 17.
I applied to the Peace Corps. They sent a polite reply....."umm, please reach out to us again when....ah, you know how to do something other than play 'great first base' ~!"
Then I went to the Marine recruiter (I forget why) Man, we breezed through that induction physical - going to the head of every line!

Then, in 1967, I decided to see the Big Sur first..... (from a J. Baez album cover)
Hitched from Amherst, MA to San Diego with a back-pack and Martin guitar.
Bathed in a stream in the Big Sur.
Caught a ride to 'Frisco (in a hard-top Ford convertible!)
The owner took a 2nd floor apt on Haight street, and offered me a job as his cook.
So, spent The Summer of Love smack in the middle of Haight/Ashbury*.

Less than 2 yrs later I was gathered up by our Uncle and was off to Vietnam as a conscientious objector combat medic.

Frankly....in my memory it is a toss-up where I saw the most drug usage: the rear areas of Vietnam (where the REMF's resided) or Haight/Ashbury.

we did not tolerate 'dopers' in the field

O.S.

*"dirty, smelly hippies" ....is one reason why our credo was: "Never trust anyone over 30!"
Our girls smelled just as good in 1967, as they do today. All that long flowing hair was kept clean and brushed....just as every girl does. Teenagers were no more or less promiscuous then , than they are today. We just smiled and hugged a lot more in those days.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Then, in 1967, I decided to see the Big Sur first..... (from a J. Baez album cover)
Hitched from Amherst, MA to San Diego with a back-pack and Martin guitar.
Bathed in a stream in the Big Sur.
Caught a ride to 'Frisco (in a hard-top Ford convertible!)
The owner took a 2nd floor apt on Haight street, and offered me a job as his cook.
So, spent The Summer of Love smack in the middle of Haight/Ashbury*.
I just have one question.

What model Martin, and do you still have it?
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
I was going through a "phase", of some sort, at 17.
I applied to the Peace Corps. They sent a polite reply....."umm, please reach out to us again when....ah, you know how to do something other than play 'great first base' ~!"

Peace Corps! Reminds me of my older brother. He was in the training program for the Peace Corps and even spent a couple weeks in a south or was it Central America country to get a first hand idea of what he was going to be getting into in a couple years.

Not sure about the details but from seeing the locals impression of the Corps he came back and decided to drop out of that program. Knowing he would be first inline when the Army found out he started his application for the Air Force with plans to get in to the then new field of computers. Well part way through that process he got the "welcome note" from the Army. He took it to the Air Force recruiter who said no problem sign here! Instead of going to computer school he ended up as an Air Police trainee. He did manage to hang on and ended up getting out after 20 years last part spent in NSA! That was after riding around in the back end of B-52's and other planes like the RC-135's
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I just have one question.

What model Martin, and do you still have it?
Didn't leave home March '67 until I'd saved enough to buy the 0-16NY Concert model hanging in the music store in Springfield, MA. (it looked like Baez's) Then I waited until I'd saved $60 (?) for the hardshell case...

The music shop owner told me it was the only model which Martin sold that could use both nylon or light gauge steel strings.
Even weeks later when I was sitting on a guard rail in Utah playing it - I could smell his pipe tobacco from the sound hole. In that wooden case it was heavy to carry across the USA.....but made a good seat on some days when rides were slow. Often was told it was the guitar which caused the drivers to offer me rides.

It should have been stolen the day I fell asleep with it laying next to me in the grass of Union Square in downtown 'Frisco. But it wasn't!!

Pretty sure it was one of my ex-wife's boyfriends who stole it while I was in Vietnam.
Bought a D-18 to replace it, then went to 12-strings. Quit playing years ago.

I loved that guitar. I played it until I got $3 or so in the cup down at Fisherman's Warf, or up on Knob Hill - then I'd "knock off work" for the rest of the day

O.S.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS
UTC quote
...and Alice... This is a song about Alice.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0792s ][ Queries: 18 (0.0480s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]