OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio et4

Lurker
Piaggio et4
UTC quote
Hi All,

I recently purchased a stolen recovered 1998 Piaggio Vespa ET4 125.

I don't normally like buying salvage bikes but this one has low miles and was in fairly good condition apart from some lock and loom damage.

i've managed to find and replace part of the damaged loom but there are still 3 wires which i don't know where they go.

Any ideas where the 2 blue and 1 red/white wire in the pics go?

Thanks!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
I don't have the answer at hand, but the wiki here has a link to workshop manuals. It looks like there's a wiring diagram included.

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/ET4/

Best of luck!
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio et4

Lurker
Piaggio et4
UTC quote
berto wrote:
I don't have the answer at hand, but the wiki here has a link to workshop manuals. It looks like there's a wiring diagram included.

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/ET4/

Best of luck!
Thankyou, will strip away some more of the wire covering and see if i can trace the missing wires using the diagram, looks like they could go to the immobiliser decoder.
@adski68 avatar
UTC

Vespa ET4 Pre leader

@adski68 avatar
Vespa ET4 Pre leader
UTC quote
Hi i do know that the ignition switch you have on there belongs on the later leader engine vespa et4 from 2000> you have a pre leader vespa (simple way to tell is you have a round glass oil window next to engine oil filler)
so i guess someone before you didnt want to pay a bit more for the original ignition switch then cut and joined wires with choccy blocks i hate them!
as for the wires not sure but i think the 2 blue wires will goto the diagnostic plug thats under a black rubber cowl under the seat.

use a multimeter continuity test for the 2 blue wires from ignition wires to diagnostic plug under seat.

edit* well i was sort of right but yes red and white goes to immobilizer , one blue to immobilizer other to CDI and diagnostic led output plug. has the bike have both magnetti mirelli cdi and immobilizer? as if you have not a key then you will have to purchase immobilizer bypass cdi. but pm me on this as there is a far cheaper way of doing cdi bypass and using a piaggio part, rather than £60-70 cheapo chinese bypass cdi!
let me know
Pre leader ignition switch
Pre leader ignition switch
My pre leader et4 taken 21/11/21
My pre leader et4 taken 21/11/21
Photo Taken 3/11/21
Photo Taken 3/11/21
My other pre leader 125
My other pre leader 125
Look after this Mikuni BS24 carb.. rarer than rocking horse do do`s Really you try find one!
Look after this Mikuni BS24 carb.. rarer than rocking horse do do`s Really you try find one!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
^^^^ Excellent first post.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio et4

Lurker
Piaggio et4
UTC quote
Adski68 wrote:
Hi i do know that the ignition switch you have on there belongs on the later leader engine vespa et4 from 2000> you have a pre leader vespa (simple way to tell is you have a round glass oil window next to engine oil filler)
so i guess someone before you didnt want to pay a bit more for the original ignition switch then cut and joined wires with choccy blocks i hate them!
as for the wires not sure but i think the 2 blue wires will goto the diagnostic plug thats under a black rubber cowl under the seat.

use a multimeter continuity test for the 2 blue wires from ignition wires to diagnostic plug under seat.

edit* well i was sort of right but yes red and white goes to immobilizer , one blue to immobilizer other to CDI and diagnostic led output plug. has the bike have both magnetti mirelli cdi and immobilizer? as if you have not a key then you will have to purchase immobilizer bypass cdi. but pm me on this as there is a far cheaper way of doing cdi bypass and using a piaggio part, rather than £60-70 cheapo chinese bypass cdi!
let me know
Amazing info, thanks a lot!

I've already gone and bought a bypass cdi a couple of months back, since then the bike has sat in my garage so will go back and have another go with the info provided.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0102s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]