UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Interesting!

I found some older versions of this tech (which I did not know about) demonstrated in these videos, though this appears to use the front wheel to achieve the effect, rather than the rear wheel. This is probably disconcerting for the rider, as it means that the handlebars are decoupled from the front wheel:

@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I am also reminded of the (now defunct?) effort by Lit Motors to create an enclosed two-wheel self-balancing vehicle. They did it entirely with gyros, though, whereas Honda seems to be taking the approach of altering the center of gravity in real-time with adjustments to frame geometry.

Here's a video about the Lit Motors effort:
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
My question is Why? Why would this be needed? If you can't keep a bike upright, then get a sidecar set up or trike. Sounds like a solution to a problem that does not exist.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
My question is Why? Why would this be needed? If you can't keep a bike upright, then get a sidecar set up or trike. Sounds like a solution to a problem that does not exist.
In the Lit Motors case, the answer is obvious: because you can't put your foot down in a fully enclosed vehicle.

For Honda, I think it's more of a technology exploration than an actual intent to produce a product.
@grouper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring

Hooked
@grouper avatar
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I am also reminded of the (now defunct?) effort by Lit Motors to create an enclosed two-wheel self-balancing vehicle. They did it entirely with gyros, though, whereas Honda seems to be taking the approach of altering the center of gravity in real-time with adjustments to frame geometry.

Here's a video about the Lit Motors effort:
This is one of the coolest vehicles I have ever seen.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
There is a Swiss company, called Peraves that offered the Monotracer, an enclosed cabin motorcycle with front suspension and drive train from a BMW K100.

Today the company seems to be located in the Czech republic and offers a new version with an electrical drive train.
Here is their website: https://www.peravescz.com/
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
jess wrote:
In the Lit Motors case, the answer is obvious: because you can't put your foot down in a fully enclosed vehicle.
I saw someone with a Tucano Thermoscud on an MP3, camped out at a stoplight with both feet up the other day. Made me wonder about how an MP3 works; I had presumed it only locked the wheels when parked.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I saw someone with a Tucano Thermoscud on an MP3, camped out at a stoplight with both feet up the other day. Made me wonder about how an MP3 works; I had presumed it only locked the wheels when parked.
No, MP3 (and Yamaha Tricity 300) have front suspension lock with handlebar control. It only works under 10km / h and with the throttle closed, you have to be good at coordinating the drive between idle speed and throttle. Habit.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
What Attila said. You can lock the MP3 suspension with a control on the handlebars, very similar to a motorcycle turn switch. Twisting the throttle will automatically unlock it, but this can result in the bike going in some unexpected vectors if it was locked at less than a perfect 90° angle. Much better to manually unlock the suspension and then twist the throttle.

And, of course, it bears repeating: the MP3 is not self-balancing. It just has the ability to lock the front suspension.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
No, MP3 (and Yamaha Tricity 300) have front suspension lock with handlebar control. It only works under 10km / h and with the throttle closed, you have to be good at coordinating the drive between idle speed and throttle. Habit.
I think you have quite a lot of experience with a 2 wheels at the front scooter, with the Tricity more specifically.

How do you judge the advantage? Does it bring what the constructors claim? The better stability, the better braking and the lower risk of skidding.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
How do you judge the advantage? Does it bring what the constructors claim? The better stability, the better braking and the lower risk of skidding.
I have ridden the MP3 250 and 500 extensively. They greatly lower the risk of front-wheel skid, especially on less-than-ideal road surface (wet, sand, etc). This comes at a cost of weight, however.

You can push an MP3 in the corners with a degree of confidence not found on two-wheel vehicles. That's not to say it's immune from danger, just that it mitigates that danger by a large margin.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Recently noticed this one from a Chinese company.

Quite nice EV specs as such, but they've thrown in self-balancing features too.
Although I'm a bit curious about them showing such features only as animations, where as there are many vids available of this bike just riding around....

Well, seriously speaking, self-balancing is fully doable with modern signal hanling and processing speeds.I'd say any university student group studying e.g control engineering or such could do one as their senior year's project work.

We did an electric, programmable, self-balancing spinning top device utilizing gyroscopic effect when I was a student... and that's already awhile ago Much more simple, yes, but many of the control theory principles are mathematically the same, even if the measurements and actuators were not.

What is more interesting question is fault tolerance and durability in real environment... I'll guess that's one of the main reasons we see only/mostly 'hoover board' applications today.

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0186s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0051s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]