OP
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
 
Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
UTC quote
I am thinking about adding a voltage regulator circuit(s) to my '64 Allstate. I found this schematic:

http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/RegRec/GPZacRegulator.html

In the interest of saving time and money, I am wondering it anyone found an off-theshelf 2 pin 6 volt AC regulator that works well on no-battery scooters?

TIA.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
Here's my favorite. Small, easy to mount, have one on a couple of 6v scoots. Haven't blown a bulb since installing.

https://www.treatland.tv/yamaha-FS1-6V-regulator-p/yamaha-fs1-6v-regulator.htm
OP
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
 
Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
UTC quote
I bought one of those, also, to experiment with. So, since there are 3 lighting coils, one for the brake light and 2 in parallel for the horn/headlight/brake light, did you install 2 regulators? Perhaps one at the junction of the 2 yellows and one on the blue wire before the brake switch?

Or......you could jumper the yellows and blue in the terminal box. Then, all three coils are in parallel and you could add just one regulator assuming it could handle the additional current.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
I'd use a separate regulator for any circuit that's giving you trouble. You can try but I don't think you'll be able to regulate them all via single 30w regulator and a jumper.
UTC

Member
'63 GL, '74 PV
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Chicago
 
Member
'63 GL, '74 PV
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Chicago
UTC quote
Do you have a scooterhelp wiring diagram? Those scans … are hard to make sense of. My 6V bike (GL) may or may not be the same … I was blowing tail lights so I connected a three-wire regulator (ground, unregulated AC in, regulated AC out) on the GL/Sprint/VBB/etc. blue-yellow coil tail/brake/pilot light circuit. That circuit is kind of confusing as the chassis ground is used in an unusual way. A one-wire regulator would only be able to regulate one side of that circuit (e.g. tail light only).

Which bulbs are you blowing?
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 703
Location: OC
 
Addicted
1968 VBB150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 703
Location: OC
UTC quote
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't a resistor work?
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2107
Location: Racing Capital of the World
 
Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2107
Location: Racing Capital of the World
UTC quote
The_PS wrote:
Do you have a scooterhelp wiring diagram? Those scans … are hard to make sense of. My 6V bike (GL) may or may not be the same … I was blowing tail lights so I connected a three-wire regulator (ground, unregulated AC in, regulated AC out) on the GL/Sprint/VBB/etc. blue-yellow coil tail/brake/pilot light circuit. That circuit is kind of confusing as the chassis ground is used in an unusual way. A one-wire regulator would only be able to regulate one side of that circuit (e.g. tail light only).

Which bulbs are you blowing?
The single best way to deal with this is to increase the wattage of the bulbs.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6881
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6881
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
The single best way to deal with this is to increase the wattage of the bulbs.
Agreed. Also, if it calls for a 25w 6v bulb, you can go to, say, a 60 watt 12v one as long as they match up by base, length, etc,,,,
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7154
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
In my experience increasing bulb wattage is hit and miss and isn't as reliable as a regulator for solving chronic lighting issues. Higher wattage bulbs will still be prone to dimming at low rpm and blowing at high rpm. I must've gone through at least $50 worth of bulbs on my smallie trying to find a combination of bulbs that didn't blow the tail light, pilot, speedo circuit. A $20 regulator fixed it instantly.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6881
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6881
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
In my experience increasing bulb wattage is hit and miss and isn't as reliable as a regulator for solving chronic lighting issues. Higher wattage bulbs will still be prone to dimming at low rpm and blowing at high rpm. I must've gone through at least $50 worth of bulbs on my smallie trying to find a combination of bulbs that didn't blow the tail light, pilot, speedo circuit. A $20 regulator fixed it instantly.
You are right of course. Anyway, these bulbs are not getting any cheaper as time goes by and a reg makes a lot of sense. I think I gave away a couple in the past and now will probably buy a couple again as a fix on my 66 Sprint that is blowing Bulls
OP
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
 
Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1010
Location: York, PA (the intellectual center of the universe)
UTC quote
So, I fabbed a small aluminum bracket/heatsink and added a pair of 6 VAC clipping voltage regulators. One for the brake light and one for the headlight circuit. WOT gets 6.4 VAC and 6.8 VAC respectively.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334115845937
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
UTC quote
garncarz wrote:
So, I fabbed a small aluminum bracket/heatsink and added a pair of 6 VAC clipping voltage regulators. One for the brake light and one for the headlight circuit. WOT gets 6.4 VAC and 6.8 VAC respectively.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334115845937
I like it, if I keep my All state AC I'm going this route.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0089s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]