@xperimental21 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Super

Hooked
@xperimental21 avatar
Super
UTC quote
Do you guys turned the fuel tap off each time the scooter parked? would there be a fuel leak if the tap keep on Open/Reserve position? especially for standard SI carbs
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Yes. Always turn off the tap. Always. The pressure & weight of the fuel is enough to flood the carb while standing still. Even better is best practice to FIRST shut off the tap, RUN the engin e for few seconds 10-30 depending on your who you talk to, then finally KILL the engine. This clears out the unused fuel for an easier start next time.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

48 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I'm going to disagree with GL here...

If your carb needle and float are in good working condition, they should fully seal the fuel flow when the motor is not drawing fuel.

I try to remember to turn off the fuel on my bikes when I park them, but have been known to forget and come back days later. They still start first kick because the needle and float are in good working order and properly seal.

If that's not the case, or you see any leakage/dripping in the carb mouth, or the bike floods if left with the tap on, then you need to replace the float needle for sure, possibly the float, and probably want to polish the needle seat (a bamboo food skewer in a drill is great for this) to ensure a good seal.

The ethanol in gas damages the rubber on older needles, so if you haven't replaced the needle in the past few years, it *will* eventually start to leak as a result.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Valid and good points Chandlerman. I agree that if all is in good working order it should seal just fine. The needle & seat were of course designed for a perfect fuel-tight seal.

I feel that many scooters are in less than ideal condition, and even if the needle/seat seals 95% as good as when new; it still has the potential to leak some. The wear & tear and related (potential) fuel leak will only get worse with time. At some point the seat will need refurbishing on just about every carb. The leakier it is; the more likely the seat needs a polish. CM's advise to use a skewer here is best practice

I'll still stick to my advice to Always turning off the tap, while also acknowledging that lots of people dont do this; and it works out just fine. Lots of ways to peel an elephant
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
I'll stick to my advice to Always turning off the tap, while also acknowledging that lots of people dont do this; and it works out just fine. Lots of ways to peel an elephant
I'm 100% with you that it's good practice and also that most people's float needle and seats probably leak a little. I'm more pointing out that it not a design flaw that just has to be accepted if you're going to ride vintage.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
I remember the first time I opened the garage and my P had "peed" all the gas out through the exhaust.

I learned a lot that day.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
It wasn't peeing, it was just marking its spot. Razz emoticon
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I'm 100% with you that it's good practice and also that most people's float needle and seats probably leak a little. I'm more pointing out that it not a design flaw that just has to be accepted if you're going to ride vintage.
Good clarification CM! Its not a design flaw (fuel leak), but is an issue that may need to be addressed on these vintage machines. Good knowledge all around Clap emoticon
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
It wasn't peeing, it was just marking its spot. Razz emoticon
It already had it's own spot; no need to mark it.

Always was a bit of a drama queen.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Always was a bit of a drama queen.
Not to stereotype, but I think that's just an Italian Thing...
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
All the old bath mats or throw rugs get relegated as scooter parking.

One morning I opened the garage and the smell of gas permeated the air. The mat was officially an extreme fire hazard.

Ever since I'm diligent on shutting off the fuel tap, and using the q-tip to polish the float seat technique.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I try to remember to turn off the fuel on my bikes when I park them, but have been known to forget and come back days later. They still start first kick because the needle and float are in good working order and properly seal.
Same here. Good way to test the float/needle is to just forget.

I keep forgetting to turn it on too! It's a thing.
My neighbor down the street knows me well. "Why don't you get a newer scooter?"

Tip:
Turn off the fuel with the engine running. If it doesn't die in a minute or so the tap is leaking.

@jackytwoshoes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'13 LML '70 Sprint Veloce

Enthusiast
@jackytwoshoes avatar
'13 LML '70 Sprint Veloce
UTC quote
I could never get the float to seal on my Vespa sprint, so forgetting to turn the tap off would eventually lead to an exhaust full of gas.

On my LML, I never turn the tap off and it always starts perfectly. The longer I leave it, the smokier it is on start up however- why is that? Is there fuel sitting around that evaporates whilst the 2 stroke doesn't?
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I actually don't like to run the carb dry with the tap off. Always makes my next start harder. That being said, I assume in this ethanol era it's probably better for the needle to sit dry if it can?
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
I always completely close my fuel taps. From own experience it appears that maybe my carburetor floats don't work well but I have had tons of problems on all of my scooters when I leave the fuel tap on the open position.

The havoc goes from light to disastrous. I have had fuel coming from the simonize exhapion chamber as if it was a garden hose pouring water, that is how full the expansion chamber was. I also had my exhaust boxes just pouring fuel from the exhaust spiget.

Save yourself some hassle and go for what gives you zero chance of problem and that is closing the fuel tab when you are done and opening it when you are about to ride. my .2c
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Unless I'm going into a store for just a moment, I turn it off. It's a habit I have picked up from years of riding bikes and scoots. On some bikes I have owned, I have even gone so far as replacing vacuum petcocks with manual ones. Less stuff to go wrong.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
I don't even have a fuel cock! Just a length of 8mm hose directly from tank to carb!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
I don't even have a fuel cock! Just a length of 8mm hose directly from tank to carb!
I'll put you down in the "just don't run with a leaky float/needle" column, then.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Mine just sits on reserve, been there for over a year, could be stuck there who knows, if I run out of gas my tank is dry.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0101s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]