@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
I've just completed a 2000km 4 day road trip. I had recently installed TPMS (internal) in front and rear wheels and have a data recording of this trip.

EDIT: crosslinks TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System and TPMS saved my bacon

I was surprised that the temperature of the rear tire reached 67C (153F).

Overnight ambient temperatures were pretty cool at 7C heading up to 29C in the arvo. probably around 11C when I climbed out of bed. (This is roughly sea level)

recorded data with Pirelli Diablo Rosso. Front was brand new and rear was near new (maybe 1000-2000km) before this ride
front 24-30PSI 12-48C
rear 26-36PSI 12-67C

here's a graph of the recording for a day where I spent significant periods at 110km/h. the drops in the graph are when I stop to enjoy the enviroment etc

you may say that the accuracy of the TPMS is not perfect but they give pressures pretty similar to what my tire inflater with digital display says and temps near the ambient temp at the start of a ride, so accurate enough for my purposes.
tpms graph
tpms graph
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
GTS300 HPE

Lurker
GTS300 HPE
UTC quote
What's the name of the product you installed?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
I'm interested to know why you installed it.
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
weecoo wrote:
What's the name of the product you installed?
I purchased internal units from https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKWNRC0
Tpms internal from AliExpress
Tpms internal from AliExpress
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I'm interested to know why you installed it.
I wanted to be able to display warnings for low pressure on my Supertech LCD dashboard. I can 👍

And just for curiosity
UTC

Lurker
GTS300 HPE

Lurker
GTS300 HPE
UTC quote
The inside of the wheel is not flat, so the inner sensor can't be installed.
Do you have a picture of when it was installed?
I would appreciate it if you could show me a picture of the outside of the wheel.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Quite the coincidence here: while futzing about with steelbytes' (most interesting) app a few days back, I took note of the TPMS function and thought "cool...now all I need is a TPMS setup that works with my bike's wheels/tires. Will want to look into this at some point.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Or just buy a cheap tyre gauge.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
It's kinda cool (ba-dum) to see the peak temperature reached. Was that during use or just sunbathing? At sub-40psi, solid assurance that there's no risk of blowing the bead or anything.

Definitely a reminder why pressure should be checked/changed cold, not right after riding for a while.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Or just buy a cheap tyre gauge.
True (in fact, I have a good and relatively cheap gauge), but for a year-round rider like me, having a means of doing a quick check without whipping a gauge out and fiddling with valve caps and such in the cold, while not essential, would be awfully nice.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Tyre pressure gauges have a tendency of misreading in the cold as it affects the PSI so you'd be better off with a manual gauge when the temperature drops.

I'd suffer the 5 mins it takes to check both ends prior to a ride.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I have two priorities when I ride: Stay safe and keep rolling, in that order. As such, wheels and brakes are the most critical components. The engine could blow a head gasket, the cooling system could fail, the belt could break, etc. but those things are less likely to impact my safety.

I have an older BMW that doesn't have a TPMS. I contemplated ways of adding it to my bike. Yeah, a tire gauge is the right answer but it was time taken away from riding. So I tried the tire pressure caps with the built-in color gauge that allowed me to quickly look to see if I was in the green zone. I posted about them a few years ago but a number of MVers discouraged their use because some have reportedly experienced failures that let the air out of the tires. I used them for a couple years and never had a problem but the comments left doubts about their integrity in my mind so I continued to investigate alternatives. Further, the caps, like a tire gauge, only provide a check before the ride and they don't provide any status while underway.

Sometime over the last year, I discovered the FOBO Bike 2 TPMS. The front and rear tire pressure is relayed to my phone that lives on my handlebars while riding and is updated every minute or so and provides me with tire pressure status. The FOBO is still based on a tire stem cap but there's a Bluetooth transmitter inside the cap that report tire pressure to my phone. I've been using it for about a year now and have had no problems and I really appreciate the near realtime status. When the tire pressure decreases below a threshold, my phone flashes red and there's an audio alert (this gets exercised whenever I pull the cap to add air). On occasions when I fill the tires, I compared the reported pressures with my non-digital "pencil" tire gauge. The FOBO are always within 1 pound of the pencil gauge.

It also reports the temperature of the tires. It's really just measuring the air inside the valve stem. I don't know how well it matches the actually tire temperature. But I rarely see the tire pressure raise more than 6℉, even after hard riding at 60+ mph for an hour or more. I've been meaning to purchase one of those infrared temp gauges for a number of years. Some day I'll buy one and use it to measure the tire pressure after a long ride and compare it to the FOBO.

Unfortunately, the FOBO Bike 2 is rather pricey (~US$100) but worth it to me. To each their own of course.

Miguel
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
weecoo wrote:
The inside of the wheel is not flat, so the inner sensor can't be installed.
Do you have a picture of when it was installed?
I would appreciate it if you could show me a picture of the outside of the wheel.
the tire shop installed it when changing tires so not pics of the inside.

also note the bolt (small alllen key) in my previous pic that let's you adjust the angle of the 'black lump'

PS unsurpisingly most of the cheap chinese ones (internal and external) use the same bluetooth packet format, ie are the same just different branding.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Sometime over the last year, I discovered the FOBO Bike 2 TPMS. The front and rear tire pressure is relayed to my phone that lives on my handlebars while riding and is updated every minute or so and provides me with tire pressure status. The FOBO is still based on a tire stem cap but there's a Bluetooth transmitter inside the cap that report tire pressure to my phone.
I also had bought similar external cheap ones but didn't want to install them on the rubber stems that my Vespa had at the time.

Did you buy metal stems or did your bike come with metal? Also did you go the t-piece stems?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
I also had bought similar cheap ones but didn't want to install them on the rubber stems that my Vespa had at the time.

Did you buy metal stems or did your bike come with metal? Also did you go the t-piece stems?
I have rubber stems, not metal. I already had rubber stems installed on the wheels. I'd been using the color-coded pressure caps on them for a while and had no problems. FOBO Bike 2 valve stem caps weigh the same as the color coded pressure caps so I didn't worry about the the FOBO caps breaking the stems. The stems on my bike are in the center of the rim so their centrifugal force is pushing then towards the rim, not sideways such that it would break the stem.

And I specifically chose not to use a T-valve on the stem. My tires hold air well and I rarely have to top them up and when I do, my pump has a reasonably accurate pressure gauge. Also, the front wheel really doesn't have room for a T-valve because the brake disks are so large. I'll take a picture tmw. I usually overfill a bit and then bleed off the excess with the pencil analog air pressure gauge.

Miguel
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0167s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]