@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super Sport (Verde Speranza)

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
Okay, I removed the cannister, capped the hose to the intake, rode a full tank and right about the same time my fuel warning light came on the [vulgarities redacted] check engine light came on again. Whipped out my code reader and it's still the P0505 - Idle Control Stepper Motor.

Still running great, got a good 62 to the gallon for that tank.
A person with cancer sometimes feels fine though.

Thoughts? Prayers? Wait until I take it to get serviced in spring and hope they figure it out?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Trenchleton wrote:
Thoughts?
Well, removing the evap system always was unlikely to have any effect on this problem. Back to the things that are actually part of the fuel measurement system. Float sensor, wiring, gauge. I personally hate electrical problems and easily get frustrated by them. They often seem to defy a methodical approach.
OP
@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
I was told by the dealer that the evap getting gaslogged could send too much to the intake and cause the idle control to throw an error. I know I had overfilled before the first time I saw the light. Ergo; seemed a simple solution. Not so lucky.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Funny this subject comes up: I was about to write up yet another Melody Chronicles entry covering all sorts of mostly-unrelated stuff (as per usual), but touch on one issue that's plagued melody since just before jettisoning the malfunctioning evap system: hard starting in cold weather. At first, I chalked it up to a weak/nearly-dead battery, where it took about eight to ten tries before the engine fully fired up. I initially chalked this up to the evap system being chocked-up at the canister (which had other scary side-effects such as sudden power-drops at highway speeds). When I yanked the evap plumbing, all the other bad stuff vanished except the hard-starts: I'd been wondering if my directly capping the inlet on the intake manifold with a rubber cap might be aggravating things, although everything I've been able to get my hands on online pretty much said that this inlet had to be completely sealed, or else Bad Things could happen. Once the engine fires up, of course, plus a minute to warm up (it will stall at the first stop if I take off immediately after start-up), all is fine. But something is clearly amiss. I'm not that far off from Mel's 24k check, including the dreaded valve check, but is that all I should be looking at in this case?
OP
@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
For context, I was occasionally having a little trouble starting on a cold morning, or having it die when I go to pull away. After cutting and capping the evap that stopped entirely. It was 34F out this morning and I hopped on, started immediately and off I went.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
I'm not that far off from Mel's 24k check, including the dreaded valve check, but is that all I should be looking at in this case?
A valve check is definitely indicated here! No need to dread it, it's actually pretty easy - I don't know why people make such a kerfuffle about it.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Trenchleton wrote:
For context, I was occasionally having a little trouble starting on a cold morning, or having it die when I go to pull away. After cutting and capping the evap that stopped entirely. It was 34F out this morning and I hopped on, started immediately and off I went.
Such a coincidence: Yesterday, with temps at a high of 57ºF, I ran out of the house in a bit of a hurry, hopped on Melody, turned key, squeezed right brake lever and punched starter button: she fired up immediately, and took off without incident. Today, a good deal colder, I ran out in more-or-less the same hurry (Le Wife's birthday tomorrow, so you know the drill); Mel chirped up immediately again, and took off with nary a complaint. (Almost like she reads what I write here…)

Mind you, I put a lot more miles on her yesterday (50+) than I had in the better part of three weeks (rather unusual for me, but then, it's been an unusual year all-round), and between this, and her being parked at the dealer's for nearly five months (which apparently didn't do much for the battery) likely has some influence on her dodgy start-up behavior of late.
jimc wrote:
A valve check is definitely indicated here! No need to dread it, it's actually pretty easy - I don't know why people make such a kerfuffle about it.
The only issue here is that I have no easy means of doing the work myself, therefore requiring my dealer to do it, which adds to the cost of a regular scheduled check. I'll pay anyway, since it's my transportation Main Axe, and has saved me loads of time and aggravation in many ways.
@tom_jones avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt

Hooked
@tom_jones avatar
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Kerfuffle! Now thats a word I haven't heard in a while
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0148s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]