NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:50:30 +0000

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:50:30 +0000 linkquote
Created article FAQ: The engine sounds different when I hold the rear brake

(This message was automatically generated)
⬆️    About 34w elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:59:07 +0000

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:59:07 +0000 linkquote
Changed the name of this topic to better reflect a question.
⬆️    About 20w elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:01:01 +0000

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:30:22 +0000
Posts: 240
Location: Moreno Valley So Cal USA
 
GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:30:22 +0000
Posts: 240
Location: Moreno Valley So Cal USA
Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:01:01 +0000 linkquote
A different Theroy
I would like to offer a different Theory. The engine is isolated from the frame by rubber bushings whether the rear brake is applied or not. The axle is under load from the weight of the scooter and the rider. The force of the brake pad transferred to the rear axle is minimal when the scooter is setting still.

So IMHO the clamping of the brake pad to the rear disc does little to nothing to change the sound and vibration. What does go from an isolated to non isolated state is the hydraulic fluid and line activating the rear brake. Unpressurized the rubber hose and fluid dampen sound and vibration transferred from engine to frame. Pressurized, the fluid and the line become almost solid ending the damping and create a conduit for the sound and vibration to be transferred from engine to the frame. If the rear brake was activated by a cable, the change in sound and vibration would be less because of the cable being made of many stands of wire and having more flexibility than the hydraulic line and fluid under pressure.
Sun, 02 Nov 2008 04:13:02 +0000

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting
Joined: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:12:11 +0000
Posts: 33218
Location: Bay Area, California
Sun, 02 Nov 2008 04:13:02 +0000 linkquote
I hadn't heard that theory before, but it's a good one. I never really thought of the hydraulic line becoming like a solid, but in a sense it really does.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with adding this theory to the existing article. It's at least as good as the one that's already there.
Sun, 02 Nov 2008 05:21:44 +0000

Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:14:18 +0000
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
 
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:14:18 +0000
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Sun, 02 Nov 2008 05:21:44 +0000 linkquote
Re: A different Theroy
wetspeed wrote:
Pressurized, the fluid and the line become almost solid ending the damping and create a conduit for the sound and vibration to be transferred from engine to the frame. If the rear brake was activated by a cable, the change in sound and vibration would be less because of the cable being made of many stands of wire and having more flexibility than the hydraulic line and fluid under pressure.
Instead, couldn't you test that theory by hooking up a brake line, master cylinder, and lever setup that's not touching the frame in any way (maybe just run a long brake line to a second bike's master cylinder) and just applying the brake? That way, there'd be no conduit to transfer sound and vibration to the frame of the test bike. Just a thought if somebody wants to get all empirical and stuff.
⬆️    About 7y elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:04:36 +0000

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:14:16 +0000
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:14:16 +0000
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:04:36 +0000 linkquote
Also, don't forget the brake applies the stop light. This high wattage bulb loads the generator at idle and increases the load (albeit lightly) on the engine, and possibly further changing the engine note. This will be even more noticeable when the battery is not fully charged. Just another thought! It's probably all of the things mentioned in this thread above put together.
⬆️    About 1y elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 00:54:13 +0000

Hooked
2017 BMW C 650 GT
Joined: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:52:07 +0000
Posts: 138
Location: Brooklyn New York
 
Hooked
2017 BMW C 650 GT
Joined: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:52:07 +0000
Posts: 138
Location: Brooklyn New York
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 00:54:13 +0000 linkquote
Stromrider wrote:
Also, don't forget the brake applies the stop light. This high wattage bulb loads the generator at idle and increases the load (albeit lightly) on the engine, and possibly further changing the engine note. This will be even more noticeable when the battery is not fully charged. Just another thought! It's probably all of the things mentioned in this thread above put together.
TOTALLY AGREE ON THAT!
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 01:25:42 +0000

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 13:22:21 +0000
Posts: 3751
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 13:22:21 +0000
Posts: 3751
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 01:25:42 +0000 linkquote
Theflaming wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Also, don't forget the brake applies the stop light. This high wattage bulb loads the generator at idle and increases the load (albeit lightly) on the engine, and possibly further changing the engine note. This will be even more noticeable when the battery is not fully charged. Just another thought! It's probably all of the things mentioned in this thread above put together.
TOTALLY AGREE ON THAT!
Couldn't that be tested by applying the rear brake, then the front? Either lever activates the brake light. The electrical load is the same. Does the engine sound different depending on whether the front or rear brake is applied?
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 01:46:05 +0000

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:16:15 +0000
Posts: 41697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:16:15 +0000
Posts: 41697
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 01:46:05 +0000 linkquote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Theflaming wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Also, don't forget the brake applies the stop light. This high wattage bulb loads the generator at idle and increases the load (albeit lightly) on the engine, and possibly further changing the engine note. This will be even more noticeable when the battery is not fully charged. Just another thought! It's probably all of the things mentioned in this thread above put together.
TOTALLY AGREE ON THAT!
Couldn't that be tested by applying the rear brake, then the front? Either lever activates the brake light. The electrical load is the same. Does the engine sound different depending on whether the front or rear brake is applied?
Yes it does, that's the whole point. The front brake doesn't lock the rear suspension. The rear brake does, and thereby changes the resonant frequencies of the whole engine and frame.

A 20W bulb sucks up a whopping 0.025hp. Arguably this might make a noticeable difference if the charging system is weak and the battery is shagged, but I doubt it.
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
   

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0346s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0140s) ][ Debug on ][ 240 ][ Thing Two ]