OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Hello all,
I have MP3, 400ie 2009 model, and I am having some electrical issues: sometimes the red light come on and turn off after a bit and that is after riding and not when starting the scooter, sometimes the from light (not high beam) would not work and then when I press the high beam it works, sometimes it does not, it acts funny, one more issue is that the light for the speedo (not the REV) did not work, a day ago it started working perfectly at night that it lit the speedo. Sometimes as I am riding, when coming to a stop, the scooter turns itself off, and I have to turn it on again (Note I changed the battery)

So I like to ask if any one can give me what is the possible things that is going wrong? Is there a way to reset the scooter's computer, I think if I reset it, these issue may go away,

thanks for all your comments,
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Sounds like you have corrosion in your dashboard. BTW I have one from 250'2006 with not so big mileage.
The ECU does not control the backlights I guess.
@zoltman avatar
UTC

MP3 250, MP3 400

@zoltman avatar
MP3 250, MP3 400
UTC quote
Might just be bad connections to the dash. Take apart the connectors and clean them with naphtha or lighter fluid. Use a syringe or something so you don't get it all over and q tip or a flat toothpick to burnish the contacts if you can. Don't force anything into the contacts or they might get deformed and make it worse. If you use electrical cleaner or something check to make sure it won't attack's the plastic.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Zoltman wrote:
Might just be bad connections to the dash. Take apart the connectors and clean them with naphtha or lighter fluid. Use a syringe or something so you don't get it all over and q tip or a flat toothpick to burnish the contacts if you can. Don't force anything into the contacts or they might get deformed and make it worse. If you use electrical cleaner or something check to make sure it won't attack's the plastic.
hello, thanks a lot for your assistance, I will do that, and thanks to all who answered and who will answer,
have a good one
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Zoltman wrote:
WOAH NELLIE. STOP don't use a flammable like lighter fluid or naphtha NOT GOOD stuff there..

USE a electrical contact cleaner ONLY and follow up with some dielectric grease for the contacts.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
WOAH NELLIE. STOP don't use a flammable like lighter fluid or naphtha NOT GOOD stuff there..

USE a electrical contact cleaner ONLY and follow up with some dielectric grease for the contacts.
Hello,
thank you, much appreciated ,
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
abcdef wrote:
Hello,
thank you, much appreciated ,
your welcome,

flammable fluid can make things melt and heat or a spark could light it up.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
your welcome,

flammable fluid can make things melt dissolve and heat or a spark could light it up.
FTFY Razz emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
^This (using electrical cleaner and dielectric grease only) X 10. Especially with Italian vehicle's brilliant talent for being self igniting devices such as Ferrari and Lamborghini.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
You, French, always hated Italians Laughing emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
French??? Hell no. I am American.

What makes you think I am French?
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Just kiddin' about Belgians (as in Hercule Poirot)
@zoltman avatar
UTC

MP3 250, MP3 400

@zoltman avatar
MP3 250, MP3 400
UTC quote
I've never had a problem with naphtha dissolving automotive connectors, but I've sure seen some spray electrical cleaners do it. Also I'm not fool enough to use naphtha near an ignition source but I guess it's necessary to make an allowance for those who might be.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Zoltman wrote:
I've never had a problem with naphtha dissolving automotive connectors, but I've sure seen some spray electrical cleaners do it. Also I'm not fool enough to use naphtha near an ignition source but I guess it's necessary to make an allowance for those who might be.
ignition source is electrical connectors. please name/list the electrical cleaners you know of that have caused damage to connectors.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
I also have a 09 mp3 400ie, and I'm experiencing the same thing. When I come to a stop sometimes it just cuts off. I changed the battery because I was getting the stabilizer horn honking and it fixed the honking and the cutting off for a time. I also realized that the oil contributed to the cutting off as well. I was low on oil one time and it kept cutting off, changed the oil and everything was good for a time. In all I have changed the spark plug, battery, oil, oil filter headlight bulbs, brakes and cleaned/relubed the air filter. I going to check my dash wiring and fuses tomorrow because my bike cut off tonight and took a couple minutes for me to start it back up. I have yet to find a source to the problem. When I due I will let you know. If you find it before I do feel free to do the same. Cutting off at the light or a right hand turn sucks.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Que C. wrote:
I also have a 09 mp3 400ie, and I'm experiencing the same thing. When I come to a stop sometimes it just cuts off. I changed the battery because I was getting the stabilizer horn honking and it fixed the honking and the cutting off for a time. I also realized that the oil contributed to the cutting off as well. I was low on oil one time and it kept cutting off, changed the oil and everything was good for a time. In all I have changed the spark plug, battery, oil, oil filter headlight bulbs, brakes and cleaned/relubed the air filter. I going to check my dash wiring and fuses tomorrow because my bike cut off tonight and took a couple minutes for me to start it back up. I have yet to find a source to the problem. When I due I will let you know. If you find it before I do feel free to do the same. Cutting off at the light or a right hand turn sucks.
Mate, yours was like mine, it is now 11 years old. Everything will die in it, you need to change the wiring and make sure that the connectors are not rusty, this will happen as much as you take care of it, age is against you. It is a good scooter but it is dying. So if you can sell it that is good, if not, then you need to do a major overhaul for it or service which includes changing the wiring and the greasing the connectors etc... I wanted to ask first if you changed the battery, as it is recommended to change it every 4 to 5 years, but you stated you did change but not when you did? and what is a new one? or second hand?
Good luck.
Good luck.
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
I changed it this fall that past, so about 6 months ago or less. It was a brand new battery didn't want to take the chance on a 2nd hand one. So the wiring and connectors, would those be in the dash or somewhere else?. I've become pretty handy fixing and repairing my bike as the nearest shop to me is in California, but it is my 1st piaggio so I don't know exactly where everything is. Thanks for the response
OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Que C. wrote:
I changed it this fall that past, so about 6 months ago or less. It was a brand new battery didn't want to take the chance on a 2nd hand one. So the wiring and connectors, would those be in the dash or somewhere else?. I've become pretty handy fixing and repairing my bike as the nearest shop to me is in California, but it is my 1st piaggio so I don't know exactly where everything is. Thanks for the response
I dont know which part or where in scooter, this is the million dollar questions, and if the nearest shop is very far from you, you are in bad situation, it is not the scooter for you. I know it is nice and has it's edge but it may not be worth it. So you have to do by trial and error I guess, it could be the area where you have the issue in, so you can check the start of the wiring and the end of it.
Good luck,
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
Euro Cycle is the Piaggio dealer in vegas
I use small amounts of conductive paste or neversieze, to improve the connections the plastic between the pins is plenty of insulation...
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
Yeah I know about Euro Cycle I talked to the mechanics there and they don't work on piaggio over 10 years old. Catch though lol they sell them over 10 yrs old, ain't that something.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Que C. wrote:
Yeah I know about Euro Cycle I talked to the mechanics there and they don't work on piaggio over 10 years old. Catch though lol they sell them over 10 yrs old, ain't that something.
Same with the dealer I dealt with in NSW, Australia, he worked on my scooter and then informed me that he does not work on them (when I called to ask about something later), so that was one of the aspects I took into consideration to accepting writing off my scooter.
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
Well I finally found another shop here in LV that works on piaggio's. So I don't have to go to California. Gonna have a diagnostic ran on it and see what's wrong and what needs to be fixed. When I find out I'll let you know.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Que C. wrote:
Well I finally found another shop here in LV that works on piaggio's. So I don't have to go to California. ...
LMFAO. Yeah, that's what can happen when you buy from a manufacturer who treats the American market like a outlet store for models they can no longer sell in their home market.

At least they didn't ask you to ship it to a P.O. box. ROFL emoticon

It sounds like you may have gotten lucky.

Keep us posted.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0334s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0075s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]