NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Created article FAQ: How negotiable is the price of a modern Vespa?

(This message was automatically generated)
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2010 300 GTS Super

2010 300 GTS Super
UTC quote
Not very. All dealers I have spoken with have griped about thin margins on Vespa products.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@gts300fan avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 300 of some kind

Banned
@gts300fan avatar
GTS 300 of some kind
UTC quote
unfortunately, i think finding the model you're looking for is your deal and the price is just the "cost of membership"
@nick9597 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LXV 150

Enthusiast
@nick9597 avatar
LXV 150
UTC quote
I keep hearing about no wiggle room with the price of the Vespa. That is absolutely not the case (at least in my area). I shopped around and got quotes from 4 different dealerships and ALL of them were willing to give me a several hundred dollar discount on a brand new 2012 Vespa.
Having a lot of experience with buying cars, I do believe there is an art to negotiation on the customers part just as there is an art to selling on the salesman's part.
If you go into a dealership and get pushy & demanding they are going to tell you where to go. If you establish a friendly relationship first, and show them you are interested in their dealership, service dept etc. they will be more likely to work with you regarding price and other discounts on accessories.

Having said that, I had to do no work at all with one dealership. I just sent a quote request stating that I am shopping around for the most competitive price and gave them my preferred price. I received an email back beating my price plus many discounts on accessories and free delivery (even though I was out of their area).

So, in summary, I feel there is wiggle room with the MSRP. It's simply how you go about it. Remember, a good attitude in life goes a LONG way!
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
Nick9597 wrote:
I keep hearing about no wiggle room with the price of the Vespa. That is absolutely not the case (at least in my area). I shopped around and got quotes from 4 different dealerships and ALL of them were willing to give me a several hundred dollar discount on a brand new 2012 Vespa.
Having a lot of experience with buying cars, I do believe there is an art to negotiation on the customers part just as there is an art to selling on the salesman's part.
If you go into a dealership and get pushy & demanding they are going to tell you where to go. If you establish a friendly relationship first, and show them you are interested in their dealership, service dept etc. they will be more likely to work with you regarding price and other discounts on accessories.

Having said that, I had to do no work at all with one dealership. I just sent a quote request stating that I am shopping around for the most competitive price and gave them my preferred price. I received an email back beating my price plus many discounts on accessories and free delivery (even though I was out of their area).

So, in summary, I feel there is wiggle room with the MSRP. It's simply how you go about it. Remember, a good attitude in life goes a LONG way!
A crap economy and the worst 2 years for the scooter business in recent history also go a long way!

The general economy and the state of the scooter industry has changed quite a bit since this Wiki was written. Most Vespa shops are still at high risk and are much more willing to bend to get business than they were even in 2009/2010. One reason is that they're getting a lot of older stock much cheaper due to the many shops that have closed. So they may be making more on the many repos, leftover '09s, scratched & dents because they're paying much less for them.

The Wiki is still accurate, though.
Quote:
Many dealers, however, have been offering unprecedented discounts on new scooters because of slow sales in 2009-10. These prices are usually advertised or marked on the scooter on the floor. These discounts will likely disappear as the scooter market recovers and new models are introduced.

While it's certainly acceptable to ask about discounts or other offers, haggling is fairly unusual. If a dealer is unwilling to budge, don't take it the wrong way. They're certainly not getting rich selling scooters. It's far more important to build a positive relationship with your dealer than getting a "good deal" on a scooter.
That about covers it. You can try, and if you get a deal, good for you. But don't get offended if you don't.
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

150LXV & a Honda Metro

150LXV & a Honda Metro
UTC quote
I just purchased my 150LXV in February and found it true that there is not a lot of wiggle room. But they were still willing to work a deal by knocking a couple hundred off their asking price, not charging me a setup fee, and I got them to throw in a cover and helmet for free.

I was happy with the deal and with the dealer.
⬆️    About 8 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2013 GTV300

2013 GTV300
UTC quote
very negotiable
I just purchased (nov 2012) next year's model 2013 GTV300 for $6,800 - out the door, which means all dealer costs included. The MSRP is 6,999 plus $450 or more in dealer costs. How did I do this? One, it's fall and sales are slow in the winter so dealers are motivated to move product at a discount. Two, I was willing to travel out of state. So I called dealerships and told them exactly what I wanted and what I was willing to pay - $6,900 out the door. If they said no, I moved on to the next call. But actually the first two I called negotiated. The first gave me a price of 7240. The second 6900. Both out the door prices. I called back the first - and he wonders of all wonders dropped down from 7340 to 6800. Done. It took about 3 hours on the phone to complete. Which meant giving a credit card deposit of $600, faxing bill of sales paperwork back and forth. Ta da.

The important thing to remember is NEVER go into a showroom to purchase your bike. Be kind and honest up front with the salesperson - tell them exactly what you're doing, ie. calling a list of vespa dealers for the best "out the door" price they can offer. Don't play games with them. You don't need to. I called the first back to thank him for his work in getting me a price, not even thinking he'd offer me a better price, which he did. And, on top of that, gave me a discont of 25% off the $700 vespa accessories I purchased and installed them for free.

Another factor in my price is it included no sales tax. The dealership - Vespa Brooklyn NY - did not have to charge any because the bike is going to NH, which has no sales tax. (If going to NY, the sales tax would add 8%)

Good luck!
@gasmk1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti

Addicted
@gasmk1 avatar
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
UTC quote
Bought my lxv 125 earlier this year for £2900.00 list price is £3600.00 advertised as the shops last one ( vie dells mode version) he has the white one on eBay now or did have similar price so there is obviously room for negotiation.

Mark
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

2015 GTS 300 Super ABS (white)

2015 GTS 300 Super ABS (white)
UTC quote
The posts are older but the topic is time independent. I just purchased a 2015 300 super and there was no reduction in price at all. When I mentioned options. The dealer said that in areas of the country where the riding season is short they may deal more but here in FL, not usually unless it is older stock.
UTC

GTS 300i.e Super FL

GTS 300i.e Super FL
UTC quote
Try for 'Demo' models...
As previously posted, there is little neg. on the price (bit like apple products!), but I found a great GTS 300ie FL 2015 as a demo model and the price was discounted to $9500 AUD from $9900~ $400 saving.
The Demo model had 0kms on the clock, but it was already registered so was a quick win all round.
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@kgborle avatar
UTC

Vespa GLS300

@kgborle avatar
Vespa GLS300
UTC quote
Dealer Prep and from Italy Freight Charge
I am attempting to join your family of Vespa Owners. This weekend my local dealers quoted me $800 and $900 respectidly for dealer prep and destination charges plus $325 administration fee. This adds over $1100 to the purchase price. They did offer about $300 off MSRP. I'm in Mesa AZ. Ignoring sales tax and license fees, are these added charges normal?
@kgborle avatar
UTC

Vespa GLS300

@kgborle avatar
Vespa GLS300
UTC quote
Got My Answer
Earlier I was questioning dealers adding dealer prep, destination and administration fees. I found that most dealers do in fact charge these fees but when it comes to dealing especially at year end, you can hope to cut them in half. I just put my down payment on a new 300 GTV and hope to pick it up this weekend.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Re: Dealer Prep and from Italy Freight Charge
Kgborle wrote:
I am attempting to join your family of Vespa Owners. This weekend my local dealers quoted me $800 and $900 respectidly for dealer prep and destination charges plus $325 administration fee. This adds over $1100 to the purchase price. They did offer about $300 off MSRP. I'm in Mesa AZ. Ignoring sales tax and license fees, are these added charges normal?
That sounds ridiculously high. Not with scooters, but several times when I went to dealers to buy a motorcycle, in the $10K price range, they mostly try to add around $500 or $600 in dealer prep and fees. I have always gotten those fees down to $200 during negotiation.

Follow cyclegrrrl's advice and always negotiate by repeating that you are talking an out the door price, whether it be via phone, internet, or in person.

After doing your price research, Say- "I want to pay" or "I need to pay" "XXXX out the door" If they snicker or say it's impossible, move on to the next dealer. Don't be afraid to push your chair away from the salesman's or sales manager's desk and repeat to them that you are prepared to buy a scooter TODAY and will be visiting some other dealers. Offer your hand to shake theirs, and thank them and head for the door. Most times they'll follow you and offer a better price.
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0849s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0536s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]