OP
@oxymoron avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oxymoron avatar
UTC quote
Rode to work with no issue today, but then the temperature dropped and it started lightly snowing.

I just went to leave my job for the 5 mile drive home and I can't turn the key.

It took me a minute to even get the key into the ignition, but even after it was in, the whole mechanism won't turn.

Is this common? and How to fix? Get a can of De-icer?
⚠️ Last edited by oxymoron on UTC; edited 1 time
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
Or heat the key?
2 or 3 times....
At home I dip key in isopropyl alcohol.
O.S.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
oxymoron wrote:
Rode to work with no issue today, but then the temperature dropped and it started lightly snowing.

It took me a minute to even get the key into the ignition, but even after it was in, the whole mechanism won't turn.

I've ridden through more than a dozen winters with snow and freezing temps and never had an issue like you describe. I've had my car freeze up like that due to moisture in things, but never my GTS250. And I would leave it all day outside my office in rain, snow, and freezing temps.

All I can suggest is to warm it up somewhere, and then hope whatever moisture is there evaporates. As far as moisture getting in, I've seen water inside after using a high pressure washer. I don't wash my scooter in the winter for that reason. Or at least if I do only when the temperature is going to be warm for awhile.

Good luck finding an answer.
My GTS outside my office.
My GTS outside my office.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
oxymoron wrote:

When we were kids, a cigarette lighter to warm up the key before inserting it was pretty common..

Everybody uses to have black keys.. Then again, there was no plastic or microchip attached to the key either...
OP
@oxymoron avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oxymoron avatar
UTC quote
This is temporarily resolved. It was definately an icing issue. The key wouldn't go in and then when it did, the whole lock mechanism wouldn't turn. I had the steering column locked.

I got a lock de-icer pen from an auto parts store. It wasnt a large can, but more like the size of a can of mace with a special tip that went into a steering lock. A few squirts of that, some time, and additional attempts later: I was able to unlock the steering column.

I'm not going to lock the steering column up for the rest of the winter though.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Glad you resolved your issue. It's very easy to snap your key in half if you get it in the ignition barrel and then use force to try and turn it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0321s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0074s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]