Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
 
Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:33 pm linkquote
I'm thinking about going to go look at a 1980 vespa sport. I'm located in San Francisco.

The listing says:
-Malossi 133cc piston upgrade
-malossi exhuast
-new rear/front aftermarket shocks
-needs a battery

The scooter looks great but I have some concerns:
1. Are parts available for this model? I know they were only sold in the US for two years
2. Can you ride two up on it? I don't see pegs for a passenger. My wife and I are small, probably about 250lb together.
3. I can't wrench on it myself due to where I live. I do know of a good vintage vespa shop down the road. Will this be too annoying?
4. I've read the 3 speeds aren't the greatest. Any thoughts on that?
5. I've ridden motorcycles off and on for 14ish years. I live in SF and mostly want to use this for the occasional errands around the city. Will having such an old bike be annoying? I realize it will have some "quirks". Currently riding a 150cc 1986 honda.
6. A bit worried about it getting stolen thoughts?
7. Anything to look out for on this model?

Replies are much appreciated!
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC o9c VMA vbc VSX
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 6564
Location: Hustletown, TX
 
Not So Moderator
VNB VSC o9c VMA vbc VSX
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 6564
Location: Hustletown, TX
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 pm linkquote
Welcome.

Spitballs:

1. Yes. Lots of bits are interchangeable between the 90, 100, primavera 125, and et3 and there are a slew of aftermarkets bits and bobs.

2. Yes, but it won't ever be be super quick and could struggle on the big hills.

3. You will have to learn some basics (cables, carbs and spark), but should be doable.

4. Can be made a 4 speed if you don't like the 3 speed.

5. Yes and no? ... that's a question only you will be able to answer.

6. Always possible.

7. Just be prepared to have a learning curve and know that tinkering (if not wrenching) is always part of the equation with any 40 year old bike.
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:18 pm

Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
 
Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:18 pm linkquote
Birdsnest wrote:
Welcome.

Spitballs:

1. Yes. Lots of bits are interchangeable between the 90, 100, primavera 125, and et3 and there are a slew of aftermarkets bits and bobs.

2. Yes, but it won't ever be be super quick and could struggle on the big hills.

3. You will have to learn some basics (cables, carbs and spark), but should be doable.

4. Can be made a 4 speed if you don't like the 3 speed.

5. Yes and no? ... that's a question only you will be able to answer.

6. Always possible.

7. Just be prepared to have a learning curve and know that tinkering (if not wrenching) is always part of the equation with any 40 year old bike.
Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on the upgrades he has done?
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6568
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 6568
Location: So Cal
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm linkquote
Those are respectable upgrades. The Malossi 133 kit and exhaust are solid products. Kits can be finicky if not set up properly and air leaks are common, so make sure whoever installed it knew what they were doing.
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 am

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 12201
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 12201
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 am linkquote
if you're worried about it being annoying, don't worry, it will be. it's a vintage motor scooter, you'll always be futzing with it.

which brings us to another issue: not being able to work on it. that's kind of a problem in that part and parcel of a vintage bike is working on it. something ALWAYS needs attention. a cable adjustment here, a blown bulb there, a loose this or that. expect it, because that's what will happen.

having a mechanic on hand close by is a plus, but 1- you're gonna be out a grip of cash quickly, and 2- you're gonna wear them out if you're bringing it in for every little thing.

it should be an okay little billy goat for the city. 3rd will be damn near unusable though. it'll carry two people at that weight and should be fine.

parts aren't really a problem unless you're going for a full blown resto (signals, mostly) or if you lose your battery side door.

insure it well and lock it up.

small frames are awesome in the city. it'll be annoyingly awesome, I promise.
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:48 am

Member
Vespa Primavera 1974
Joined: 23 Jul 2022
Posts: 32
Location: Nebraska USA
 
Member
Vespa Primavera 1974
Joined: 23 Jul 2022
Posts: 32
Location: Nebraska USA
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:48 am linkquote
I lived for years in San Francisco riding a Primavera (125cc). It was a blast. It's kinda the ideal transpo for that particular city, in addition to buses. With that kit on it I think it will be fine with 2 on the flats but you might have it a bit slow going up Lombard St.

But in my folder of receipts I do see regular trips to First Kick for repairs. First Kick is gone but I'm sure the scene remains and having a place in town to do work you can't do or don't have time to do will make a difference -- just be prepared to pay.

However, if you don't have a place to work on it, do you have a place to park it? People will back right over your scooter trying to fit into a parking spot on the street.

You could take the scooter to the shop you would use for a pre-purchase inspection. Then you'd get to know the shop and the scooter at the same time.
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 pm

Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
 
Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 pm linkquote
spacecat wrote:
I lived for years in San Francisco riding a Primavera (125cc). It was a blast. It's kinda the ideal transpo for that particular city, in addition to buses. With that kit on it I think it will be fine with 2 on the flats but you might have it a bit slow going up Lombard St.

But in my folder of receipts I do see regular trips to First Kick for repairs. First Kick is gone but I'm sure the scene remains and having a place in town to do work you can't do or don't have time to do will make a difference -- just be prepared to pay.

However, if you don't have a place to work on it, do you have a place to park it? People will back right over your scooter trying to fit into a parking spot on the street.

You could take the scooter to the shop you would use for a pre-purchase inspection. Then you'd get to know the shop and the scooter at the same time.
Fortunately I do have a spot in our locked parking garage to park the scooter.

I went and looked at it today. The speedo is broken, it has no turn turn indicators, but it started on the second kick cold and it sounds like the guy took pretty good care of it. He did the 133 upgrade himself but had it checked out by a shop down in LA after. I would like to get it looked at by a shop prior to purchasing. I'll need to look on the east bay to see if there is something over there. No way in hell i'm riding it across the bridge. The aftermarket exhaust sounded nice. It looks freaking fun, I didn't realize quite how "small" small frames are.
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
 
Lurker
Joined: 26 Nov 2022
Posts: 4
Location: San Francisco
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm linkquote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Those are respectable upgrades. The Malossi 133 kit and exhaust are solid products. Kits can be finicky if not set up properly and air leaks are common, so make sure whoever installed it knew what they were doing.
He said he did it himself and had it checked out by a shop in so-cal afterwards. It definitely sounded nice.
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:23 am

Addicted
Joined: 28 May 2020
Posts: 605
Location: Planet Earth
 
Addicted
Joined: 28 May 2020
Posts: 605
Location: Planet Earth
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:23 am linkquote
How much is it?
   

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0232s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0023s) ][ Debug on ][ 229 ][ Thing One ]