Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Lurker
MP3 400ie

Lurker
MP3 400ie
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm linkquote
Long story short. MP3 400ie, manufactured 11/07. Sat for a couple years. Inherited bike, I do have wrenching experience, not a certified mechanic. Put in new YTX-14 battery (too small, I know, but too late now). No fuel pump sound. Tested relays, all seemed good. Battery throughout this process was put back on a CTEK charger between these episodes as I am aware of the erratic issues resultant from low voltage on these bikes. Also, I wanted powerful cranks from the starter. No fuel going to the line or injector when it was pulled. So I bought an incorrect fuel pump from QFS (labeled incorrect on their eBay site, to small, not 30mm). Returned it, got a cheaper one from I forget, (it's got an orange red top). And it fired up. But it does the exact same crap it is doing now. It fires up, but can't keep an idle. The idle is low, and rough. About 1250rpm. Then it dies after three to five seconds. If I crank on the throttle on-off-on-off rapidly, it will stay alive, but barely. It won't go past 3k rpm. If I stop these shenanigans, it dies. Took it to the local dealer here (Portland, they were lovely) they stated low fuel pressure. $1k to fix. I asked for it back with thanks for their diagnosis, but I have more time than money in this case. Bought the correct QFS pump, in tank filter, and fuel pressure regulator (from Poland). Between waiting for parts I pulled the air filter (not overtly oily), sprayed cleaner up the intake while "running " the bike. Eventually I pulled the throttle body and cleaned the crap out of it. Pulled the injector and cleaned it with a spare motorcycle battery and a short hose connected to the red spray nozzle on a fuel injector cleaner can. (You just epoxy the straw in a hose that goes to the injector, the can provides pressure and jumper wires supply the voltage for the injector to fire). Then I bought a cheap fuel pressure tester, and sanded the plastic end so I could use the quick fuel connector from the bike. Long story short, still 10 lbs of pressure, even with the new QFS pump. Thought it might be the regulator, but after waiting for that and re-testing, no change. Same symptoms. Still loathe to drop $624 on a new pump assembly as I have cobbled one together for dramatically less, but I am out of ideas on this scooter. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't seem to have any other lights on the dash that have lit up that could send me somewhere else to diagnose.
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:33 am

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:33 am linkquote
remove evap
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0281s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0091s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]