OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super '16, (GTS 125 Super written off in Jan 2022 - a 'SMIDSY' incident). Previously a GT125L and an ET4

Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super '16, (GTS 125 Super written off in Jan 2022 - a 'SMIDSY' incident). Previously a GT125L and an ET4
UTC quote
Hi
When I recently fitted a top box, it came with larger and heavier bar end weights. I fitted them but could detect no difference - if anything, the original weights caused less headshake - headshake is generally considered to be caused more by tires anyway.
My question is as to why Vespa take the trouble to provide these at all, given that a pillion, a rucksack or lots of other baggage could have a much greater effect than an often empty topbox. Surely different end weights can't cater for all states of the loading of the top box - is it to help when it is fully loaded (ie deal with the extra weight) - or empty (aerodynamics).
Just curious!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
AFAIK the weights counter the topcase weight, nothing to do with aerodynamics. Thus empty you won't feel a difference. Interesting that you haven't noticed a difference. I can't recall if I noticed anything either, I just put the case and weights on 7 years ago and didn't look back!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
A passenger is over the rear wheel, so hardly any difference to 'head shake'. The top case is well behind it, so any big load in there will reduce the downforce on the front tyre, thus reducing any dampening of any oscillation.
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
UTC quote
I noticed a significant difference in front-end wobble after installing the heavier bar end weights on my 2016 GTV. This year I had new tires put on (City Grips), and my shop used balance beads in them. HUUUUGE difference, between the heavier bar-end weights and tires with balance beads it's like having a new bike.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0077s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]