Fri May 13, 2022 4:47 pm

Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
 
Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
Fri May 13, 2022 4:47 pm linkquote
Wondering if anyone has tried the Black Widow Aluminum Hitch rack that sells on Amazon?
It's rated at 400 lbs.
If so, any opinions and photos of your scooter mounted on it would be helpful.
Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6935
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6935
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm linkquote
It may just be me (married guy), but any product with the word "widow" in its name just rubs me wrong.

Fri May 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6935
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6935
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fri May 13, 2022 5:26 pm linkquote
In all seriousness, the weight limit of that hitch rack is 400 lbs, and a GTS weighs something like 350 lbs without any accessories. So you're good there.
Question is, does your vehicle have similar specs?
Fri May 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
 
Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
Fri May 13, 2022 5:35 pm linkquote
Madison Sully wrote:
In all seriousness, the weight limit of that hitch rack is 400 lbs, and a GTS weighs something like 350 lbs without any accessories. So you're good there.
Question is, does your vehicle have similar specs?
Thanks - I agree, funny name for a product. I can haul with my vehicles for sure, they have higher tongue weights.
The more I research, the more I am thinking the Versa-Hauler which is made in the USA and is steel is the way to go. I have seen several Amazon reviews and PHOTOS of the Black Widow where the Aluminum rack actually BROKE in use.
I think I will just spend the extra money and buy a better hitch rack that I don't have to worry about when using it, so thanks.
Sat May 14, 2022 5:38 pm

Hooked
Racing Sixties 300, Cub, Gold Wing, Can Am
Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 237
Location: NoVA
 
Hooked
Racing Sixties 300, Cub, Gold Wing, Can Am
Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 237
Location: NoVA
Sat May 14, 2022 5:38 pm linkquote
A hitch rack rated for 400 lbs. Might work with a 240 lb. Honda Cub. A 360 lb. Vespa while hitting a pothole or a whoop in the road, maybe not so much.

I was at an event last year and was looking at the assorted racks. I saw an aluminum one that was noticeable bent downward, around six inches. That told me everything I wanted to know.
Sat May 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1686
Location: AZ
 
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1686
Location: AZ
Sat May 14, 2022 5:48 pm linkquote
so I know nothing about the rack you had described but as the Vespa 300 only weighs about 330 lbs you do have some limitations on the weight you put on the racks. I have an OEM back rack with an OEM topbox. I have faco front side bars with a retractable front platform. I have OEM rear safety bars. with all I have the scooter rides great. I usually put my helmet in the top box or if wearing the helmet usually soft gear. Have ridden with gear on the front rack, a backpack , stuff in the top box, stuff in the pet carrier, stuff on the center hook between my legs........but never 400 lbs. I also have a rack on the floorboard that can handle a coffee cup or gear bunjied to it.
Sat May 14, 2022 7:23 pm

Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
 
Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
Sat May 14, 2022 7:23 pm linkquote
Buzzard wrote:
A hitch rack rated for 400 lbs. Might work with a 240 lb. Honda Cub. A 360 lb. Vespa while hitting a pothole or a whoop in the road, maybe not so much.

I was at an event last year and was looking at the assorted racks. I saw an aluminum one that was noticeable bent downward, around six inches. That told me everything I wanted to know.
Thanks and I agree, I had stated that since posting my inquiry, I have found some broken and bent Aluminum Black Widow Racks while reading the Reviews on Amazon and I have decided to go with a Steel, Versa-Hauler Rack. They cost 3 times more, but after reading the features and specs, I feel they are 3 times better, US Made and are unlikely to fail hauling a Vespa.
Sat May 14, 2022 7:25 pm

Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
 
Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
Sat May 14, 2022 7:25 pm linkquote
LarryMK wrote:
so I know nothing about the rack you had described but as the Vespa 300 only weighs about 330 lbs you do have some limitations on the weight you put on the racks. I have an OEM back rack with an OEM topbox. I have faco front side bars with a retractable front platform. I have OEM rear safety bars. with all I have the scooter rides great. I usually put my helmet in the top box or if wearing the helmet usually soft gear. Have ridden with gear on the front rack, a backpack , stuff in the top box, stuff in the pet carrier, stuff on the center hook between my legs........but never 400 lbs. I also have a rack on the floorboard that can handle a coffee cup or gear bunjied to it.
Thanks - this discussion is about "Hitch Racks" to haul a Scooter, not about Scooters hauling stuff. Cheers.
Sat May 14, 2022 8:57 pm

Addicted
Vespa S
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 531
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Addicted
Vespa S
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 531
Location: Toronto, Canada
Sat May 14, 2022 8:57 pm linkquote
I have used numerous Black Widow Pro products, including my motorcycle table lift which gets used and abused on the regular, some aluminum ramps, wheel chocks, jack stand... never had any of it fail on me. Good attention to detail. Even the instructions are super clear.

I can't speak to whether this is the right thing for you or not (personally, I like a proper trailer), but if it is the right choice for you, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a product from this brand.
Sun May 15, 2022 2:55 am

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 2466
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 2466
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Sun May 15, 2022 2:55 am linkquote
They offer a few goid for 600 lbs that might work better.
Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 am

Addicted
GTS (sold)
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 905
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
 
Addicted
GTS (sold)
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 905
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 am linkquote
One benefit of steel over aluminum in a hitch rack is abrasion resistance. If you don't travel in the mountains much, you might not think about it, but it's a frequent issue up here. It's not just mountain roads, either: sharp incline entrances to driveways, parking lots, rough ramp-transitions from pavement to gravel or dirt. Aluminum is softer than steel.
Personally, I prefer a little forgiveness margin in my tolerances.

I see you went with Versa. I've never encountered a Black Widow hitch rack, but I DO know at least one Versa user off the top of my head. It's been through some things and looks to be holding up well.
Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 am

Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
 
Member
2022 GTS 300
Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11
Location: Southern California
Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 am linkquote
Cheshire wrote:
One benefit of steel over aluminum in a hitch rack is abrasion resistance. If you don't travel in the mountains much, you might not think about it, but it's a frequent issue up here. It's not just mountain roads, either: sharp incline entrances to driveways, parking lots, rough ramp-transitions from pavement to gravel or dirt. Aluminum is softer than steel.
Personally, I prefer a little forgiveness margin in my tolerances.

I see you went with Versa. I've never encountered a Black Widow hitch rack, but I DO know at least one Versa user off the top of my head. It's been through some things and looks to be holding up well.
The Black Widow Hitch racks are only sold on Amazon, and some users seem to like them, however, there are also some Amazon reviews showing broken and bent Black Widow aluminum racks. I decided to spend the extra money and have total peace of mind as I haven't found any negative reviews or damaged Versa Hauler photos. I don't like taking chances on the open road at highway speeds with a bike on the back. Thanks.

Last edited by Vespian on Sun May 15, 2022 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun May 15, 2022 8:29 am

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1686
Location: AZ
 
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1686
Location: AZ
Sun May 15, 2022 8:29 am linkquote
Vespian wrote:
Thanks - this discussion is about "Hitch Racks" to haul a Scooter, not about Scooters hauling stuff. Cheers.
oops me stupid
Mon May 16, 2022 10:01 am

Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 3047
Location: Springboro, OH
 
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 3047
Location: Springboro, OH
Mon May 16, 2022 10:01 am linkquote
I have the exact same Black Widow carrier and it is very solid and stable. The "anti-wobble" mechanism works great. I like that the loading ramp and rail are solid.

My only complaint is it's heft. It weighs nearly 100 lbs by itself so I need help when installing on my SUV. As someone else noted above, be sure of your hitch ratings prior to loading it up. You're likely going to need a vehicle and hitch combo rated for 500lbs of tongue weight.

I was able to rig up a block and tackle for storing this up high on the wall in my garage. 3 pulleys on each end make it easy to hoist into position.



Mon May 16, 2022 11:00 am

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4854
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4854
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Mon May 16, 2022 11:00 am linkquote
I did what everyone on here will say is wrong, and bought a Harbor Freight cycle carrier a few years ago.

I have only used it twice, but it has performed admirably both times.

The first to North Carolina and back, 450 miles of bumpy interstate travel caused no issues.

It is aluminum with a steel tube as the main structural element.

The clamps provided stiffen it well.

While I would prefer a flat floor, the ladder floor works while saving weight.

I have been pleased with having it to use when needed.

Bill
Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 pm

Hooked
2015 GTS Super Sport
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 186
Location: Los Angeles,CA
 
Hooked
2015 GTS Super Sport
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 186
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 pm linkquote
I have one it is pretty solid towed bigger bikes for over 7 hours or so and as long as your Tongue weight permits the weight you should be golden,I also have a anti rattle hitch so it does not move around as much and i would get the 600 lb. Capacity just in case





  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0295s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0084s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]