OP
UTC

2015 Sprint50

2015 Sprint50
UTC quote
Newb here again, just trying to get my 2015 Sprint 50 with 649 miles running after buying it from a friend that is moving. The battery is ok, but I finally got it started after several tries(holding throttle helped), only to have it cutoff after a few seconds. Oddly enough fuel was leaking onto the ground every time from of of these lines hanging unterminated at the bottom. Are these lines suppose to be here? The two diagonally cut ones look like they're coming out of the carb, and the other the fuel pump? It was sitting for two years and the gas level shows two lines, I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to engines and stuff, but I'm going to take the carb out next. I tried to siphon out the gas to replace with fresh gas, but I think I need a longer hose.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
One line is here
One line is here
This is the other one coming from the carburetor.
This is the other one coming from the carburetor.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
One hose is the carburetor vent/overflow, the other is the fuel tank vent. Neither should typically have fuel coming out of them. I would bet that the float needle in the carburetor is gummed up and that this is causing it to not shutoff fuel when the carb bowl is full. This will cause an overflow and the extra fuel will run out the vent/overflow hose. Some of the fuel will also run into the intake and this is probably why the engine won't idle properly unless you open the throttle a bit.

-Craig
OP
UTC

2015 Sprint50

2015 Sprint50
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
One hose is the carburetor vent/overflow, the other is the fuel tank vent. Neither should typically have fuel coming out of them. I would bet that the float needle in the carburetor is gummed up and that this is causing it to not shutoff fuel when the carb bowl is full. This will cause an overflow and the extra fuel will run out the vent/overflow hose. Some of the fuel will also run into the intake and this is probably why the engine won't idle properly unless you open the throttle a bit.

-Craig
Ahh ok, so all roads lead to disassembling and cleaning the carb? Thanks again.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0054s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]