UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I haven't had any issues with the mousetrap side stands failing, except in Costa Rica, where my fully laden 300kg Moto Guzzi that was leaning way over to the left on the sidestand, picked itself straight up off the side stand and flung itself to the right into the side of some guy's dented POS chevy, while nobody was around to see it.

Another issue is people not setting the bike onto the side stand. I've seen them put it straight down with one foot, lean the bike over and get off the bike. If the stand is not all the way forward, nothing good is going to happen.
MGs like to show you who's boss every once in a while. I know mine does!

My husband got into the habit of giving the stand a nudge with his foot to verify it was settled properly once he discovered it's self-retracting nature. We think the Grand Canyon failure was the wind's fault.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Forgot to mention in my earlier comment https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2546802#2546802

1. Need a rubber stopper to protect the body when it bounces. Used a stick on rubber foot from the local hardware store.

2. I did scrape it once ...

3. ... and then a few hours later in the same day I accidentally tore it off bending the aluminium plate (the red one in the pic). Had simply parked several metres from the side of the road then when returning i had to go over a bump and then into a small gutter to reach the road. It caught on the bump as the front wheel dropped into the gutter. Nice crunchy noise šŸ¤£

Note: I never scraped until I added that foot. Yes I do have fancy shocks (front and rear) and agree with Motovista's comment
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Drifting further along the side stand stories - their form and function do very quite a lot within bike brands.

Once I had a rental bike, a well known German 'adventure style' bike
I had all my stuff packed into side and top boxes, so the bike was not only heavy, but heavily loaded too.

At first stop, I parked it in the right way, facing uphill, but a bit sideways, having a deeper leaning angle towards the sidestand. What I did not remember, was that these bikes lean quite a lot when using the side stand. So when I came back and intended to hop on...I realized that I can't seem to be able to muscle the bike properly up from this position

With some carefull maneuvers (a brand new rental bike, about 20km on the clock when they gave it to me...) forgetting all about dignity, as this was a grouded, public resting place, and some sweat I managed to reverse the bike to a better position.....
@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Hooked
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
I use the sidestand in two or three scenarios them being still sat on the bike and fiddling with my gloves, helmet, phone whatever, a short stop to take a photo and the other reason is when I have a pillion I find it helps take the weight when they stand on the peg to get on the back of the seat.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Alan4Christ wrote:
I use my side stand often remember Harleys don't have center stands and they aren't exactly cheap. You always have to use caution and be aware of your surroundings on a Vespa even when parking.
Yup. When I was riding a XR1200, the side stand left me quite anxious - 250kg bike with a side stand that isn't the best at being engagedā€¦ which easily moves up if the bike is moved in any way. Never dropped it but I felt it was always on the dodgy side.

That said, had various Japanese sports bikes with side stands which gave me a lot of confidence. It's all about the side stand design at the end of the day.

The only bike that I've had go over in its side was a Malagutti Madison 400 which was deliberately pushed over by drunk losers - it was on a centre stand.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Side stand is nice for rides in flip flops by the beach.
Remember: if you flame me for exercising my Italian pride, it's a hate crime Razz emoticon
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
ri"]
Remember: if you flame me for exercising my Italian pride, it's a hate crime Razz emoticon
[/quote]

I've upgraded to Crogs, as I have to use gears nowadays
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Flip flops are dangerous on scooters. You should wear shoes. And adequate head gear. Lifesaver is optional.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Flip flops are dangerous on scooters. You should wear shoes. And adequate head gear. Lifesaver is optional.
Should also take something to wipe down the seat with
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Ah, this topic. It does come up once in a while here and most of us will say no to using it. Personally I think it depends on what kind of motor oil you are using.

Honestly I use mine maybe 4 times a year for a quick on/off in prefect conditions. The centre stand on a Vespa takes very little effort once you get just a little practice in. For those that may have some concerns dismounting and popping the centre stand up the side stand to centre stand technique makes good sense.

Motorcycles I own/have owned I use the side stand but they seem way, way more stable than the Vespa side stand that just feels wimpy and that a stiff breeze or nudge and over she goes. Maybe that is a misconception but it is how I feel.

FWIW I like crash bars but I started riding Lammies and Vespas when I was a Mod so there is that I suppose. Older me says no to extra mirrors and excessive farkle but yes to crash bars.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Oouuufff, first thread I open in the morning and Wow, was not expecting that pic ROFL emoticon Clap emoticon
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Outsider wrote:
You are not telling the truth the OEM sidestand you and others sell is too tall at least for my ET2 and ET4 it has to be cut down or the bike will fall over. Not trying to be negative but it is the truth. As I stated in my earlier post. I aint no rookie I have been at this along time! It works fine on my GT250i GT200 with no mods.
So if those were the only two we ever sold, or everyone who bought the same product had the same experience, it might be addressed a little differently than if one person has the same problem with a product every time they purchase it, but other people don't. We had sidestands on our rental fleet, and didn't have an issue with bikes jumping off the sidestand. And we're not the only company selling that part. I can't see Piaggio continuing to supply this product worldwide if everyone who bought one had to cut it down to make it work.
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
The only time I use the center stand is when I am checking the oil or servicing something on the left side of the bike.

I approach from the right, grab the right hand grip with my right hand, compressing the brake so it doesn't roll.

I pull the bike toward me and step through at the same time.

It must be done with confidence because once the stand retracts there is no going back.

It might sound precautions but it's not. Just pull it toward your and step through.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
So over here we drive on the correct side of the road rather than the right side. If I park the scooter on the roadside facing the direction of travel the camber means the scooter is leaning over further than my American counterpart. I'll also dismount to the left which is away from traffic.

Why aren't they on different sides?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
So over here we drive on the correct side of the road rather than the right side. If I park the scooter on the roadside facing the direction of travel the camber means the scooter is leaning over further than my American counterpart. I'll also dismount to the left which is away from traffic.

hmm, never thought of that. 'tis probably why I always found them usless.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
That would require changing the moulds for the frame to add a second mounting point. That's the cheaper ($$...or ā‚¬ā‚¬) option. Having two sets of production moulds to predict manufacturing and sales for is the other ($$$$) option. Universal design is simpler.

There may be other reasons for it, but that's my first thought. I know with motorcycles, the oil check or sight glass, stand immobilizer wiring, possibly drivechain placement, are design-aligned with the lean. A Vespa's center stand focused design knocks those off the table.

I never thought to look to see how or if the side stand mount is reinforced behind the sheet steel body and if something could be made to third-party add a right-side mount. There's a thought!
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:

Many agricultural motorcycle manufacturers have models with side stands on BOTH sides, like this Honda:

[img]https://delivery.contenthub.honda.com.au/api/public/content/8805752df13140cc98666d290703f9ca?v=736e35a4[/img]

EDIT: I don't know why it doesn't show the image in the post...?

In South africa we also ride on the left side of the road. If the road shoulder slopes steeply, I will run the scoot backwards at about 45deg to the road and put out the sidestand. I have a greater sense of safety being behind a scoot that is turned almost side on to the traffic zipping by.
āš ļø Last edited by Fudmucker on UTC; edited 1 time
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Many agricultural motorcycle manufacturers have models with side stands on BOTH sides, like this Honda:

[img]https://delivery.contenthub.honda.com.au/api/public/content/8805752df13140cc98666d290703f9ca?v=736e35a4[/img]

EDIT: I don't know why it doesn't show the image in the post...?
Because it's not an image, it's a URL. Save it to your PC and then upload to MV.

Yeah, that makes sense. So what is the logic behind side stand on the left usually? I guess you can hold the front brake while retracting it with your left hand?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
UTC quote
Thanks...

I guess it is back to horses again... riders always mount a horse from the left side.
I always feel very awkward getting onto my scoot from the RIGHT - it just feels so WRONG !

Habit brings standardisation and standardisation brings "normality" ?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Where is Ned Flanders when you need him?
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
I use it and greatful that it's there. One time outside a pub I parked it up on the centre stand and locked the steering. I was working at the venue. Security told me later that some pisshead sat on it and rocked it off the stand, then realised that it was heavy but too drunk to work out what to do, luckily one of their friends put it on the side stand. Which saved the day and my scooteršŸ‘
I recommend keeping it. Ps. I'm not a fan of the HPE when the engine cuts out with side stand down.
UTC

Enthusiast
'66 VLB (Blue Badge) & '17 GTV

Enthusiast
'66 VLB (Blue Badge) & '17 GTV
UTC quote
I am glad to have both options on my GTV. Depending on the slope, having both options gives me a choice of which is more stable. I use each probably 50-50. I don't recommend the version that automatically springs back. I can see that causing problems if not fully extended.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
A lot of people know someone who heard about a person who's husband or wife had a cousin who's uncle's grandfather's friend put a vespa on the side stand and the bike immediately fell over. Few actually experienced this.
I've seen more people drop new bikes trying to put them on the center stand.
If you are new to riding, they can add to your comfort level and you will ride more.
If you are scraping the stand in corners but get passed by Harley dressers on the outside, you need shocks.
+1

Yes. I have used the side stand and not to my surprise, nothing bad happened. Most of the time the center stand is what I need, but other times the side stand is more convenient.

As for scraping the side stand, that mostly stopped after dialing in an aftermarket front shock, just as Motovista points out. It's a much better ride with an upgraded front shock.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Thanks...

I guess it is back to horses again... riders always mount a horse from the left side.
I always feel very awkward getting onto my scoot from the RIGHT - it just feels so WRONG !

Habit brings standardisation and standardisation brings "normality" ?
the original Vespa had the kickstarter on the right side, so that's the side most people got on and off the scooter on. When they came out with the ET2-4, It didn't occur to Piaggio that most people on motorcycles do get on and off on the left side. So Piaggio put the lock for the seat on the right side. They moved it for the LX and S that came afterwards.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
Should also take something to wipe down the seat with
Or throw a shag cover on. Might be a problem if you're ticklish.
āš ļø Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
So what is the logic behind side stand on the left usually? I guess you can hold the front brake while retracting it with your left hand?
Also in the most common configuration you don't need your left foot for anything as you are done shifting when you are ready to use the side stand. Whereas using the rear brake with your right foot while the bike is standing helps to keep things stable.
ā¬†ļø    About 1 month elapsed    ā¬‡ļø
@onevw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS Sport

Hooked
@onevw avatar
2022 GTS Sport
UTC quote
use it 100% with Vespa crash bars

I have had mega scoots blown off the center-stand in windy Wyoming.
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Gts touring

Enthusiast
2018 Gts touring
UTC quote
I use mine all the timeā€¦ then forget to put it up and freak out and wonder why the scooter won't startā€¦
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Booch wrote:
I use mine all the timeā€¦ then forget to put it up and freak out and wonder why the scooter won't startā€¦
ROFL emoticon I don't have a kickstand on my Vespa, but I do the same when riding my motorcycle.
UTC

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
UTC quote
I use the side stand on my GTS 300 HPE every time I get off the scooter. In my garage, i often leave it on the side stand. Anywhere else, I then put it on the center stand. The Piaggio crash bars make using the center stand a genuine PITA and it is easier to do if the scooter is first on the side stand.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I never had a side stand so always use the center stand, Had thought about putting one on but from the many posts I have seen I have decided against it. When I added my rear OEM protective bars though it does make getting to the center stand a bit more awkward though, but with a little practice it is doable.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
I was recently pondering usage of the sidestand and had a realisation as to why I hate it ...

... here in Aus we ride on the left of the road. Why is this relevant? cause if I pull to the side of the road, the edge is sloping slightly down into the gutter. This slope is the wrong way. If I pulled over on the right side like you guys then the slope would be good.

Also some people take their scoot off the center stand while seated and some take it off the center stand before getting on. the former sounds hard, I do the later.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I can see a side stand being a real issue if you drive on the left side of the road. I take my vespa off the center stand while seated, it seems the easiest and then I am ready to go
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Full disclosure

Since my first hip surgery two years ago I have been unable to put my scooter on the center stand let alone ride it. I am currently using kick stand.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Full disclosure

Since my first hip surgery two years ago I have been unable to put my scooter on the center stand let alone ride it. I am currently using kick stand.
You're not alone Max, I think you'd be surprised just how many riders opt for the side/kickstand in favour of the centre stand due to mobility issues.
@desmo33 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 Sprint 150, 1965 Li125 Special

Enthusiast
@desmo33 avatar
2016 Sprint 150, 1965 Li125 Special
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
Side stands are very handy for when you're fully loaded and/or touring. There's a workaround for the self-retracting aspect if you want.

I have and use both side stands and center stands on every bike I've owned, scooter and moto alike. They each have their uses.
Can you describe the workaround? I would like to eliminate the self-retracting function and just remember to retract the stand before riding off.
@j_scott avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 GTS 300

Hooked
@j_scott avatar
2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
I use the center stand 99% of the time. The only time i use it is when i change my oil and park it between my wrangler and dart just to open my garage, then it sits on the centerstand while in garage. A great reason i use my center stand while in the garage is becuz i have 2 kidds who love to climb on it. Its stable enough for that. My wife likes to use the side stand but she has trouble extending it all the way and she almost dropped it once trying. She is getting better with the centerstand although it is heavier (GTS300) than my previous LX150.
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
not for longer than a minute. i dont trust that tilt Laughing emoticon
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
desmo33 wrote:
Can you describe the workaround? I would like to eliminate the self-retracting function and just remember to retract the stand before riding off.
With the older GTS, it involved moving the spring anchor by way of a bracket. This changed how the spring pulled with a side stand fully extended so that fully out, it actually held it in place... and for most of the partially extended movement it would pull towards retracting.

You have a...Sprint 150? This might interest you. Double check for compatibility, of course. The title says 2020+, but the "scooter fit" below the description says otherwise.
https://www.scooterwest.com/side-stand-vespa-primavera-sprint-pr10pa-1.html
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I had added a side stand to my previous GTS and modified it to prevent it from auto retracting. This resolves/eliminates the main detracting issue of the side stand and takes about 30 minutes to complete and about $5 in nuts/bolts/washers. You simply move the spring anchor point forward of the pivot point to have the spring hold it down. I will do the same on my current GTS very soon.

I find it to be very useful particularly on uneven or sloping ground. I keep a steel electrical junction box cover under the seat to place under the stand when parking on soft ground. I also use it when changing the oil, it keeps the center stand out of the way.

Here's a MV thread discussing the mod. There is also a couple of very good youtube vids online as well.
Side stand modification?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0624s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0380s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]