Flat spotted tyres... seized steering bearings... seized front brakes... dead battery. I pushed it (with the associated difficulty) out of the garage to see whether it would even start.
Got a spare battery, jumped it to the battery terminals - dead. Nothing. Not even the fuel/oil lights would come on. Wiggled the ignition key (on and off) and eventually I got the fuel/oil lights to come on (but only in a specific position, so there was definitely corrosion on the ignition switch behind the horn cover), as well as getting the indicators and brake light to work. So far so good.
Next - fuel and oil (both tanks dry). Added a bit of both until I was satisfied that they weren't bone dry.
Spark plug and cylinder - a good dose of contact cleaner on the spark plug, as well as some WD40 inside the cylinder. Used the kick starter to evacuate the contents of the cyliner whilst the spark plug was off, then reassembled.
Whilst the electrical start wasn't working, the kick starter got it going. It was alive! All lights working, horn working, engine running. Turned it off and decided to collect it the next day to carry on the work.
Sprayed all of the seized parts (including the brake disc) with WD40 and left if overnight. The next day, I started disassembly. EVERYTHING was covered in a thick, dry coating of 2T oil. More on this later.
After about £100 worth of degreasers, carb cleaner, shop towels, and disposable gloves it was done. Now time to replace the old/dodgy bits...
Various little bits and pieces missing - leading me to question whoever worked on this bike in the past as already stated (those missing bits and pieces can cause damage to other parts).
Good news - steering bearings were clean/unpitted. The grease on them had solidified. A good clean and re-lube will sort them out.
Drive belt - worn/frayed. Original drive belt. Never replaced for 10 years of road use? Worn rollers (one was particularly flat) - never replaced/inspected for 10 years? Who knows. That said, the gearbox/tranny oil was super clean. Very odd.
I note, the oil tank (and associated fittings) looked new. Seems when it was dropped on its side, the oil tank was damaged... dribbling 2T oil all over the place. It was never cleaned, and the bike was clearly was running like that for a while before it was replaced. So new oil tank, bonus. The cleanup job, not so pleasant.
Fuel hose had cracks, and a massive leak in it. More on this later.
Front master cylinder felt rough (corrosion inside). The actual seizure was down to blocked banjo bolts... and the brake pads literally just fell apart! Again, were the pads never inspected? Was that purely down to storage in a relatively dry garage? See the photo below and decide. I'm not taking any risks with braking, so the whole lot was replaced.
Suspension - whilst it looked OK and worked, it wasn't smooth. Again, no way am I taking risks with suspension. Replaced the lot. Adjustable rear pre-load would be nice anyway.
Front hub - seems someone added grease, but never cleaned the old stuff out. So there was a mix of fresh grease... and the old grease (which had formed what I can only describe as yellowed bathroom silicone). A good clean needed there then.
One tyre was OK, but it was one of those budget "widow maker" types, fitted not long before the bike was dropped. There you go, not worth skimping on that sort of thing. Always get decent tyres. Again, not taking risks with tyres. Replaced both with Michelin City Grip.
Cosmetics can wait. All work completed is for safe/reliable running.
Work completed/parts replaced:
-New Malossi cast iron 70cc kit (which includes new cylinder head, reed valves, small end bearing, gaskets etc.).
-New 17.5 PHVA carb clone (original was a 12mm weber).
-New manual choke lever (doesn't need auto choke IMO),
-New Malossi foam air filter.
-New spark plug.
-New CDI and spark plug cap (bargain offer, no rev limiter - could be useful if I decided to get a 'kevved' exhaust).
-Bigger jet to suit the new bigger bore. Currently running a 72 MJ. Unsure about pilot jet (I think it's too big).
-New oil lines.
-New fuel and vacuum lines (more on this later).
-Drained / cleaned oil tank and fuel tank.
-New exhaust heat shield, and bolts/washers.
-Repainted exhaust, and new bolts/washers (mounting bolts were properly seized and washers were missing - 1000nm impact wrench to the rescue).
-New 5.7g rollers (to replace the worn 6.5g originals).
-New gearbox/transmission oil.
-New drive belt.
-New oil belt.
-New bearing on variator cover (for clutch/drive shaft).
-Cleaned and sanded front pulley assembly. New nut.
-Cleaned and polished variator assembly.
-Cleaned and re-greased rear pulley assembly bearings. NOTE - I should also have re-greased the torque driver pins/assembly to make sure it wasn't sticking. Lesson learned.
-Cleaned and sanded clutch bell. New nut for whole assembly.
-New front shock absorber and spring (RMS, non-adjustable).
-New rear shock absorber and spring (RMS, adjustable preload).
-New rear hub nut cover (missing)
-New rear locking washer (rusted on, because the hub nut cover was missing).
-New OEM front brake master cylinder.
-New Goodridge braided front brake hose, with stainless steel fittings.
-New OEM front brake disc (and bolts/washers).
-New OEM front brake caliper (comes with new pads), and bolts/washers.
-Cleaned and sanded rear brake drum, and shoes.
-New speedo plastic gear.
-New wheel bolts and washers.
-Cleaned and re-greased Speedo cable.
-Cleaned and re-greased front axle/swing assembly.
-Cleaned and re-greased front hub bearings.
-Cleaned and re-greased steering bearings.
-New sealed AGM battery.
-New front headlight unit (old parabolic reflector coating pitted).
-New BA20d halogen bulb.
-New ignition switch (ignition switch plastic cover was missing, leading to corrosion).
-New ignition switch plastic cover (to avoid issues in future).
-Various other new nuts, bolts and washers.
⚠️ Last edited by OscarSass on UTC; edited 22 times