UTC

Et4 150 2002

@leftygl avatar
Et4 150 2002
UTC quote
Hi all.

So my rear tire/rim keeps leaking air.

Have had the rubber changes. Leaks.

Had a tire person put a new valve stem in where the soap bubbles came from, still leaks.

So guessing I need a new rim….

My three options I see are:

Buying a new one on scooter west for $200 plus shipping.

Buying a used on on eBay for $150 and hoping rim is ok.

The tire guy said he can try sandblasting rim to see if that helps.

Does any aftermarket rim fit on this scooter? I couldn't really find the answer. I saw an 11 inch lx may and those are only like 79 new.

Jw and seeking help.

Thanks
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Unless you want to spend $80 for a brand new 10" rim, those are your options.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/lx-150/lx-150-tires-and-wheels/vespa-lx-rear-rim
OP
@leftygl avatar
UTC

Et4 150 2002

@leftygl avatar
Et4 150 2002
UTC quote
Thnx for link.

Just to confirm , the 10 inch rim in the link will fit my et4 back wheel? Exact match pretty much? Thnx.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It does fit the ET4. On a couple of older rims, I've seen air start to seep through the aluminum in the middle. It is so weird and unexpected to see air bubbling up through the aluminum when you spray it with soapy water. I'm not sure why that happens.
If it's leaking at the bead, there is a bead sealing compound that tire installers use to seal the bead and make sure air can't leak out there. It would also be great to use to tar and feather someone, because once you touch the stuff, it's on you for a while.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@leftygl avatar
UTC

Et4 150 2002

@leftygl avatar
Et4 150 2002
UTC quote
Awesome. Ty so much!
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
It does fit the ET4. On a couple of older rims, I've seen air start to seep through the aluminum in the middle. It is so weird and unexpected to see air bubbling up through the aluminum when you spray it with soapy water. I'm not sure why that happens.
If it's leaking at the bead, there is a bead sealing compound that tire installers use to seal the bead and make sure air can't leak out there. It would also be great to use to tar and feather someone, because once you touch the stuff, it's on you for a while.
Out of interest - is it therefore worth getting them re-sprayed/powdered whilst they're still good, or better to get new ones?

Was hoping to keep mine stock but appreciate not everything can be preserved.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
Out of interest - is it therefore worth getting them re-sprayed/powdered whilst they're still good, or better to get new ones?

Was hoping to keep mine stock but appreciate not everything can be preserved.
Almost all the rims installed won't leak air through the aluminum, so the odds are in your favor. In fifteen years, I've seen air leak through the rim two or three times. The conversation surrounding this phenomenon usually begins with, "come and look at this, you're not going to believe it."
@lars_danner avatar
UTC

Hooked
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50

Hooked
@lars_danner avatar
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50
UTC quote
No need for a new rim. I can pretty much guarantee this stuff will fix your problem for about $15 and also protect you from puncture flats.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@leftygl avatar
UTC

Et4 150 2002

@leftygl avatar
Et4 150 2002
UTC quote
Thanks. Never tried this before.

If I use and doesn't resolve, it doesn't "ruin" the rubber does it. Because my tire is brand new and I'd still want to transfer it to a new rim.

Thnx
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Lars_Danner wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee this stuff will fix your problem for about $15 and also protect you from puncture flats.
But it will sure make the tire shop that is trying to change out the old tire unhappy!
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Never asked - where in the rim is the air leaking from?

I know nothing about sealants on motorcycle tyres… but I have experience with tubeless conversions on bicycles.

Rim tape seals the rim… and the liquid sealant seals punctures/pores in the tyre (in a nutshell). Had a bike holding 100 psi no problem, so 26-34 psi shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on where the leak is really - if it's in the centre of the rim, a good bit of rim tape might do it.

No so sure about the sides of the rim - tyre sealant tends to get flung towards the tyre itself when moving.

Had a leaky valve once, and the tyre jollop obviously didn't help - I had to replace the valve.

Anyway, that's my lycra-clad experience of tyre sealants… 😇

If the rim is leaking, what sort of failure can one expect? Will it crack, or just remain a bit porous? Good questions to ask if you're worried about sudden failure. 🤞
@lars_danner avatar
UTC

Hooked
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50

Hooked
@lars_danner avatar
2014 GTV300; 2009 S50
UTC quote
leftygl wrote:
Thanks. Never tried this before.

If I use and doesn't resolve, it doesn't "ruin" the rubber does it. Because my tire is brand new and I'd still want to transfer it to a new rim.

Thnx
Nope it's fine. Won't hurt the rubber at all, and doesn't really make a mess.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Lars_Danner wrote:
No need for a new rim. I can pretty much guarantee this stuff will fix your problem for about $15 and also protect you from puncture flats.
from first hand experience, this will not work on a cracked rim.

replacing the rims is the proper and safest option.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Almost all the rims installed won't leak air through the aluminum, so the odds are in your favor. In fifteen years, I've seen air leak through the rim two or three times. The conversation surrounding this phenomenon usually begins with, "come and look at this, you're not going to believe it."
same here. maybe a handful in 20 years and it very much is a: dude, you gotta come check this out or a "WTF did you run over?!??" type of deal.
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Vespa 150 super (1970)

Lurker
Vespa 150 super (1970)
UTC quote
My own rear wheel/tyre is leaking between the tyre and wheel rim just around the red dot (and the valve) so the seal between the rim and bead is not …sealed.
I am taking it too a bike shop to see if they can take that side off the rim, and then blow it back into position. Failing that, it may be possible to repair any damage or corrosion with epoxy resin. I don't agree that the only way is to replace the rim if the wheel has not suffered damage due to running over something. A good repair is as good as new done properly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0252s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0148s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]