OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I made a appointment with a Vespa dealer in Maryland (82 miles each way) for service on my sons scooter.We picked it up and as I was looking at the bill it did not show a valve adjustment.The service manager told me they check the compression and if it is ok they leave the valve alone.( 621) miles.Have you ever heard of this? thanks
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
The users manual says that valves are to be adjusted at 1000km (600 miles). They should have told you that they weren't going to perform that service when you made the appointment.

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the scooter is running well. I would have the next service done maybe a little early and have the valves checked then. Or, since I mostly do my own service, I'd check the valves myself at the first opportunity.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
My owners manual shows to check valve clearance at 620 miles that's why I took it in.The next time I will do it myself.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I called another dealership closer to me and they told me the same thing that they check compression and if that is good they leave the valves alone and have been doing this for sometime.What do you think?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
I think that since the book says to adjust the valves, that should be done.

I've had a couple of scooters that benefited from a valve adjustment (though they weren't new) so I think it's important.
@rottekatz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@rottekatz avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
I called another dealership closer to me and they told me the same thing that they check compression and if that is good they leave the valves alone and have been doing this for sometime.What do you think?
I think that it is important to follow the owners manual.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
I ain;t not expert but a compression test would probably allow a simple check of if a valve is loose but not if it's too tight.

fyi this is one of the reasons I do my servicing myself as my mechanic was of the mindset of only touch them if the engine sounds wrong
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I think you are right about adjusting instead of a compression test. Thanks
UTC

gti 300

gti 300
UTC quote
I went about 20k miles and didn't have to adjust my valves. Finally, at 20k I took apart my engine to change the gasket and the valves were still in a good shape. I guess it depends how you ride ur scooter.
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio

Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
UTC quote
It is part of the 600 mile (1000 km) service. I would call the dealer and tell them that not doing the valve adjustment could void the warranty. My dealer didn't have the valve adjustment on their list, so I showed them the table in the manual. They updated their software to include it.

Besides that, it is very important. Valve adjustment on air cooled engines is critical. Ask anyone who has ever owned an air-cooled VW that lasts over 100K miles (a check every 3000-4000 miles is what I did, along with an oil change every 2000).

As time (miles) goes on there tends to be less and less adjustment and sometimes none at all. But, at least the 1st two or three adjustments are important for engine life.

If the valves get tight (usually the exhaust) they can burn quickly. It is worth the money (or time if you do it yourself). Cheaper than a head job (no not that kind), or worse yet the valve drops and you are looking at a whole new top end.

If you decide to skip it, then one of the warning signs of tight valves is that the engine will stall at idle when hot (like after a long high speed run), be hard to start, and sometimes backfire. At that point it is nuclear critical to adjust.
⚠️ Last edited by Goob on UTC; edited 1 time
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie
UTC quote
At 600 miles the service at my Vespa dealer was about $200 and did not include valve adjustment. I asked about this. They said the big additional cost made customers mad and was rarely needed. For warranty reasons, I just documented that. Bike has always run perfectly!
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
That's what they told me also
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
It's not a big job though assuming the bike is already on the stand for oil etc. 30 minutes?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
It's not a big job though assuming the bike is already on the stand for oil etc. 30 minutes?
you have to disconnect a few things like the suspension so the rear can be lowered pivoting the head upwards. even then it's a real pain to reach the exhaust valves when sliding the feeler gauges in. the intake valves are pretty easy once the engine is tilted

Edit: I used the meaning of "tight" the opposite way around to convention here. so when reading this please swap the words around
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
I ain;t not expert but a compression test would probably allow a simple check of if a valve is loose but not if it's too tight.

fyi this is one of the reasons I do my servicing myself as my mechanic was of the mindset of only touch them if the engine sounds wrong
This may just be clarification, but tight valves would be the ones to fail a compression test. At least as I understand it, "tight" refers to a lack of clearance between the valve and the actuator that presses down on the valve to open it.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
This may just be clarification, but tight valves would be the ones to fail a compression test. At least as I understand it, "tight" refers to a lack of clearance between the valve and the actuator that presses down on the valve to open it.
I was using "tight" the other way around. ie tight equals the valve closing hard. but actually I think your usage makes more sense so please swap the words I used in my comment around
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Tight valves spend less time on the seat which is where they dissipate heat.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]