OP
UTC

LX 50 "Bernadette"

LX 50 "Bernadette"
UTC quote
I currently have my the motor of my beloved Bernadette sitting on my work bench. I did the Malossi 80cc upgrade a couple years ago and she's been a dream to ride, until now. Here's what I've been dealing with lately.

Came home from work a couple weeks ago and she died when I got to the driveway. Interesting, but nothing crazy. Took the lady out to dinner and after 3 miles or so she started to sputter. I could give it gas and limp it along, but ultimately she died again. I could start it for a few seconds when warm and it would die again. Luckily my buddy was able to come retrieve me and my pissed off wife.

I have read up on posts and checked a few videos, because I don't want to be THAT GUY that just posts his problem without researching it.

I have since done the following:
- Replaced the spark plug
- Swapped the CDI with a good one
- Replaced air filter
- Checked belt, variator and rollers for signs of excessive wear (nothing out of the ordinary)
- Drained the gas tank and replaced the fuel tap
- Checked the vacuum and fuel lines for leaks
- Removed, disassembled and cleaned the carb / jets

As before, when cold the scooter will start and idle just fine for about 5 minutes. I can give it gas and rev it on the stand. After it starts to get warm it will start to bog down and I can rev it a few times until it starts to sputter and then dies. It will start when warm for a few seconds and die.

I've half a mind to start checking for a cracked cylinder body or a sticky valve at this point. Maybe the auto choke on the carb? Any ideas for where to start poking and prodding, before I throw the old girl into the lake, would be immensely appreciated.
@rottekatz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@rottekatz avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
rainking63 wrote:
I've half a mind to start checking for a cracked cylinder body or a sticky valve at this point. Maybe the auto choke on the carb? Any ideas for where to start poking and prodding, before I throw the old girl into the lake, would be immensely appreciated.
Do a compression check. Please do not throw wife into lake. Unless, of course, she wants to go for a swim.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
This sounds fuel related because it seems to work fine until the auto choke is disengaged. I would start by making sure there are no crack in the rubber intake manifold. If that checks out then move on the the jets in the carb, the o-ring on the idle mixture screw and the carb diaphragm. Something is leaning out the fuel delivery.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0108s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]