OP
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
im wondering if its safe to buy a USB splitter, so i can have 2 things plugged in when driving. phone for navigation and a go pro for recording.. just those 2... wondering if the battery can handle it?
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Not expert here, (partly too lazy to look up specs, so shooting from the hip) but my guess is, compared to a standard headlamp the draw is negligible, and as long asit's running you don't have any worries.
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
The USB port in the glovebox doesn't provide a lot of power so I can't imagine you'd see much (if any) charging with a splitter.

What folks usually do is purchase a dual USB socket and install it in the legshield cover. ScooterWest sells a kit and has an installation video. It's very easy to do.

Here's the GTS kit:
https://www.scooterwest.com/gts-usb-power-plug-black-2-1-amp-twin-usb-charger-ports-fits-gts-super-gtv-abs-300-2015-2018.html

And here's the install video:

I've had a smartphone and GoPro hooked up like this in the past and didn't experience any issues.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
The current draw in generally all 2 port USB outlets is not more than 2-2.5 Amps combined.
The fuse used should cover that adequately. So you can have one device using 1Amp and the other 1.2 Amps.
Just know that when you reduce the amps per port, you reduce the time it takes to charge but that would not matter if devices are plugged in and slowly charging.
OP
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
strawberrysoda wrote:
The USB port in the glovebox doesn't provide a lot of power so I can't imagine you'd see much (if any) charging with a splitter.

What folks usually do is purchase a dual USB socket and install it in the legshield cover. ScooterWest sells a kit and has an installation video. It's very easy to do.

Here's the GTS kit:
https://www.scooterwest.com/gts-usb-power-plug-black-2-1-amp-twin-usb-charger-ports-fits-gts-super-gtv-abs-300-2015-2018.html

And here's the install video:

I've had a smartphone and GoPro hooked up like this in the past and didn't experience any issues.
out of stock. ha. ah well. thank you tho!
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
out of stock. ha. ah well. thank you tho!
It's actually not out of stock, the kit is just built to order. I had the same question and emailed them about it, to which they said "order it and we'll make it." I ordered it a couple weeks ago and it arrived in a few days.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
Make your own. You can purchase a USB adapter and add-a-circuit and make one for about $20. I added an SAE adapter port as well
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
the usb in the glovebox is a 500mA socket so no matter how much you plug into it you won't blow a fuse. Also there's no point using a 2 way splitter on this socket as each would only get 250mA (or one may get 500 and the other 0) and probably have problems charging.

two 1A or 1.5A devices is fine in an extra port on the kneepad as these ports typically have their own 3 or 5A fuse and limit their output to less than this.

if you did want a hell of a lot of devices then best to wire directly to the battery with their own fuse ideally with a relay connected to the ignition.

also wouldn't hurt to grab a couple of 7.5A fuses from your local auto store and always take them with you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0174s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0093s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]