OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Even when you do everything right.. crap like this can happen. Horrific and sad. Hopefully this woman gets the book thrown at her. Too many of these people get off with light slaps on their wrists for killing pedestrians and cyclists in NYC.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/motorcycle-rider-hit-killed-clinton-hill/
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Even when you do everything right.. crap like this can happen. Horrific and sad. Hopefully this woman gets the book thrown at her. Too many of these people get off with light slaps on their wrists for killing pedestrians and cyclists in NYC.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/motorcycle-rider-hit-killed-clinton-hill/
Indeed. So sad and so upsetting. It also makes me reflect on how often I travel down that same avenue. I do wonder what can be done to lessen the chance of injury or death in such a situation. Would for example a motorcycle-jacket airbag have helped? Would legal lane filtering prevent us more often from being rear ended?
@themayor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2021)

Enthusiast
@themayor avatar
GTS 300 (2021)
UTC quote
Dang - I rarely think about what's coming up behind me at a stop light. May have to give more thought to optimum lane position at a red light. The fact that he was dragged under the perps car for a ways makes me doubtful an airbag could have helped much.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
RIP Vespa rider. May you be riding amongst the Angels.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
TheMayor wrote:
Dang - I rarely think about what's coming up behind me at a stop light. May have to give more thought to optimum lane position at a red light. The fact that he was dragged under the perps car for a ways makes me doubtful an airbag could have helped much.
I think about it every time I pull up to a red light. I try to leave myself where if I get hit I won't get pinned against the car in front of me. But that wouldn't have helped in this instance.
@grouper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring

Hooked
@grouper avatar
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring
UTC quote
I sure hate to see that. It is a good reminder to all of us. Looking behind at red lights is part of defensive riding. Let us not forget about it.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
That is an Ave i ride almost every few days to get on the BQE. I am always trying to get away from people in caged vehicles but shit like this happens.
So sad, and makes you wonder how our loved ones feel about us riding when they read such news. What a sad event to happen, RIP the Vespa rider Andrew Thomas.
Also I have noticed in the last 3 years the driving in NYC has deteriorated consistently, roads are bad, rules are not being obeyed and the NYPD is kinda not taking action.
I feel society is getting on edge and is angry/frustrated and the city is stuck being inept and corrupt. Since Bloomberg left as Mayor of NYC, we have seen a steady decline in the city conducting itself in a manner that one would want to feel proud of.
At moments like this I wonder if I should pack up and move to Nanaimo or New Zealand.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Sigh…for me, this was especially upsetting to read. My incident in December happened just a few blocks from home, and while the driver who hit me stayed on the scene, and claimed he had the light at the intersection, it was also clear he was speeding, which is hardly uncommon in these parts.

The last few times I'd ridden up to Gotham, I couldn't help but notice (1) how many drivers were blowing red lights and Stop signs with seeming impunity, and (2) how many vehicles, on two and four wheels, were running around with plates either missing or clearly compromised/unreadable. The most brazen thing I saw was late last year on the Upper East Side of Manhattan where a helmetless kid on a clapped-out maxi-scoot weaved past a NYPD cruiser…and the cop behind the wheel was apparently nonplussed. (Note: This bit of selective non-enforcement is an issue that spans several administrations, going way back, so there's plenty of blame to go around.)

The bigger issue, to me, is how many people who've had their license yanked still drive around with seeming impunity, until, of course, somebody dies at their hands.
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
Yeah it's gotten out of hand over the past three years where a large percentage of drivers have clearly obviously fake temporary plates, driving with no regard for traffic laws, and all within eyesight of an NYPD cruiser who doesn't even bother to pull them over and ticket them.

Also have seen increasing amount of people flying around on Chinese scooters with no helmets, plates, shoes, whatever. No one seems to give a crap anymore.. general public, or the city employees paid to enforce these laws.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
There are also many NYC riders on motorcycles without license plates. I think it's a fair assumption that many of them also aren't licensed and insured, because who would want to risk their motorcycle endorsement or insurance coverage over such behavior?
Of course the whole point of riding like this is to evade all laws and regulations.

Enforcement in this corrupt and dystopian city seems random and arbitrary at best.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Where you stop is a gamble.

Stop in a lane and you can get rear-ended.
Stop on the line between lanes and you get sideswiped by a driver running a red.

I had TWO Minibus taxis run a red on each side of me while riding to work one day three years ago. What The? emoticon

Frankly, poor law enforcement is at the core of this all.
Technology easily permits cameras at traffic lights to enforce compliance 24/7.
Photographic evidence is sufficient proof in a court to obtain a conviction.
Suspension of driving licenses should further deter culprits.
For second and subsequent offenders, a number of consecutive weekends in county jail is a better punishment than a monetary fine, without creating a situation where a family loses its bread-winner.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Yeah this is shitty and all too common a story. I feel for the Vespa rider and their family as this is such an avoidable tragedy.

I know there is a movement here to try and allow filtering as currently it is illegal. It might not have saved a life here but it does help in placed where motorbikes are allowed to move to the front of a red light and group. It makes us more visible and we pull away quicker that most cars so it helps traffic flow. There was a pilot supposed to start and then covid hot and many things hit the back burner. Bicycles have a marked grid at many lights but motorbikes? nope.
@chipshot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 BV 350

Enthusiast
@chipshot avatar
2014 BV 350
UTC quote
I'm sensing increasing anxiety among people and it's reflected in their driving. Zipping around you as you coast to red lights, tailgating even though there's a car just ahead of you, frequent lane changing on roads full of vehicles.

If people relaxed just a little, were more co-operative than competitive, went w the flow, and realized their risky/reckless driving saved only seconds, we would have fewer wrecks, have cheaper insurance, and be less stressed.
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Sad. For a bit of levity, as I read the title to this thread I was amazed that the Queen of England has a Vespa rider. I wondered what his duties were!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Sad. For a bit of levity, as I read the title to this thread I was amazed that the Queen of England has a Vespa rider. I wondered what his duties were!
Lol. Thought the same! Ah, but for that little apostrophe.....
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
That is a terrible situation and feel so badly for family and friends.

It's a good reminder to check behind when approaching stop lights and stop signs and when stopped in traffic. The tough situation is you might not have anywhere to go, but try to leave space for an escape route if needed.

Unfortunately, traffic deaths typically do not carry tough criminal penalties. I hope that is not the case here, should be easy for prosecutors to show a brazen lack of responsibility by the driver through drug use and being unlicensed.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
For a bit of levity, as I read the title to this thread I was amazed that the Queen of England has a Vespa rider. I wondered what his duties were!
Evidently Vespas are big with the Queen and her attendants.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
That is an amazing sight! She looks pretty darn good!
OP
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
The pitfalls of swyping text on phone. Autocorrect that gets aggressive.

I'm gonna leave it cause I really don't care enough.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
My condolences
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0173s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]