OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
so, I know how it all goes together and all that. but uhhh... what if you're presented with this?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

FFFFffff... right?

baby and bath water? just suck it up butter cup and order another?

it's going out on a client's bike, so I can't be playing around. I was contemplating sealing it up with motoseal or devcon.

but I ask the peanut gallery, what say you?

also I have to order all the other shit for the install too... so what's a tank at that point? no biggie.

looking for the quick, dirty, easy fix here.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
I would think the right plastic epoxy would be OK, because it mildly melts the two pieces as it cures and kind of fuses them together. Wouldn't think 2T would degrade it, at least not with the right formula.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1980
Location: Philadelphia
 
Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1980
Location: Philadelphia
UTC quote
Personally I'd get a new one. Oil likes to find any gaps. I wouldn't trust it. Especially since you're placing an order anyways
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
 
Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
I would think the right plastic epoxy would be OK, because it mildly melts the two pieces as it cures and kind of fuses them together. Wouldn't think 2T would degrade it, at least not with the right formula.
If you were doing it for me, I would want it replaced, but I wouldn't gripe about the cost. If I were you, I'd rather put a new one in than dick around with goo and potentially have to pull the whole shit show out again if it comes back. Calculate cost of tube o' goo, time spent gubing on the goo, testing for leaks…You get the idea…
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
If you were doing it for me, I would want it replaced, but I wouldn't gripe about the cost. If I were you, I'd rather put a new one in than dick around with goo and potentially have to pull the whole shit show out again if it comes back. Calculate cost of tube o' goo, time spent gubing on the goo, testing for leaks…You get the idea…
Oh 100% I'd just buy a new one. But he asked if it could be fixed - I bet it can
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
 
Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Oh 100% I'd just buy a new one. But he asked if it could be fixed - I bet it can
Sure it can. And if it was the last one on earth, it would be totally worth it.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
Sure it can. And if it was the last one on earth, it would be totally worth it.
Laughing emoticon
@dirty30dillon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Yes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 90
Location: CT
 
Enthusiast
@dirty30dillon avatar
Yes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 90
Location: CT
UTC quote
I know it sucks, but if you were stuck on using it to avoid trashing it, I would 2-part epoxy the halves together, and then coat with this to ensure there were no leaks.

https://caswellplating.com/lantern-font-sealing-kit.html

Caswell is the best gas tank sealer, hands down. And while this is a new product, this will stop any leaks AND further adhere the two halves.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9620
Location: seattle/athens
 
Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9620
Location: seattle/athens
UTC quote
You are in luck, I was given FOUR healthy oil tanks that I need to figure out how to dispose of responsibly. Or maybe I'M in luck, can you help me out here please? Eyelashes emoticon
I can dump in some gas and check for leaks, cheap insurance!
I can dump in some gas and check for leaks, cheap insurance!
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
I would think the right plastic epoxy would be OK, because it mildly melts the two pieces as it cures and kind of fuses them together. Wouldn't think 2T would degrade it, at least not with the right formula.
kinda my thoughts. may save it for another day and another project. I don't want some yahoo yelling at me that there's 2T all over his garage floor and bike so it might be one for me to play with and eat it with a new one. don't wanna gamble on a come back!
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
Personally I'd get a new one. Oil likes to find any gaps. I wouldn't trust it. Especially since you're placing an order anyways
thank you for being a voice of reason. my chaos monster instincts were kicking in.

for me? fine. but for a client, nah. it's all gotta be high line.

found a sight glass and gasket but no lock ring or crush gasket. of course. so not I'm all, well F this noise. I'm gonna order doubles of ALL of it. and I'm sure I'll sit on it till forever until John or Birbs hits me up for some other rando parts and I wind up sending it to them as part of a care package. or CM2 texts in blind panic on the eve of a rally. yeah, I got that bro!

*laughs*
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
If you were doing it for me, I would want it replaced, but I wouldn't gripe about the cost. If I were you, I'd rather put a new one in than dick around with goo and potentially have to pull the whole shit show out again if it comes back. Calculate cost of tube o' goo, time spent gubing on the goo, testing for leaks…You get the idea…
a steady hand on the rudder is always appreciated. thanks for talking me off the edge!
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
Dirty30Dillon wrote:
I know it sucks, but if you were stuck on using it to avoid trashing it, I would 2-part epoxy the halves together, and then coat with this to ensure there were no leaks.

https://caswellplating.com/lantern-font-sealing-kit.html

Caswell is the best gas tank sealer, hands down. And while this is a new product, this will stop any leaks AND further adhere the two halves.
D-money, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll probably use that and shelf it for in-house use. ie: my shitbox bikes.

I don't usually like to play fast and loose with client bikes unless it's a dire situation. homeboy is totally chill so I'm not in a time crunch, just kinda pissy that I got this sent to me, opened it and it was all:
*blow raspberry*
*gestures wildly with hands*
*mutters under breath mother fucker*

~sighs deeply~

nothing comes easy sometimes.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14961
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
You are in luck, I was given FOUR healthy oil tanks that I need to figure out how to dispose of responsibly. Or maybe I'M in luck, can you help me out here please? Eyelashes emoticon
V-man, you gots my addy. shoot me a PM and let me know how much to pay pal you. I'm down for at *least* one. two if you want.

but please, let me pay you!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9955
Location: Nashville

71 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9955
Location: Nashville

71 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
You are in luck, I was given FOUR healthy oil tanks that I need to figure out how to dispose of responsibly. Or maybe I'M in luck, can you help me out here please? Eyelashes emoticon
If you're serious about wanting to move those oil tanks to a good home, I'm down for at least one, as well.

Lemme know and I'll PM you my address AFTER you tell me your Venmo or Paypal
@veloce_vulture avatar
UTC

Hooked
Tuk Tuk.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 448
Location: Hawaii
 
Hooked
@veloce_vulture avatar
Tuk Tuk.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 448
Location: Hawaii
UTC quote
It's sorted clearly, but for fun. I would have used gel superglue after having it cool off in a refrigerator for a few minutes. At least if nothing else, if it didn't work it's clearly done and not sitting in your valuable real estate after.
@dirty30dillon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Yes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 90
Location: CT
 
Enthusiast
@dirty30dillon avatar
Yes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 90
Location: CT
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
D-money, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll probably use that and shelf it for in-house use. ie: my shitbox bikes.

I don't usually like to play fast and loose with client bikes unless it's a dire situation. homeboy is totally chill so I'm not in a time crunch, just kinda pissy that I got this sent to me, opened it and it was all:
*blow raspberry*
*gestures wildly with hands*
*mutters under breath mother fucker*

~sighs deeply~

nothing comes easy sometimes.
I hear you on this, if the customer isn't frothing at the mouth and it's happy to pay for your time, get the right part for your own sake.

I worked at the only NYC moped shop for years,: all vintage, all the time. So I'm completely on board with choosing what method/means is best per customer and situation. The WORST thing is to get a call from a customer who just picked up a bike that something went wrong.

But I digress. I've used Caswell on a dozen tanks, most of which simply HAD to be saved (like the Honda MB5's notoriously "porous" and impossible to find tank) and cannot recommend any other sealer.

The little lantern font sized setup is great for smaller stuff, but they make bigger packages for larger tanks. The standard sized one would probably do 2 large frame tanks.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
 
Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3201
Location: northern New York
UTC quote
I get it though, I often keep broken VW stuff and end up fixing it. I was welding up some old backing plates I had sandblasted clean and people on my bus forum were like…just get new ones you cheap ass.

Sure enough, the new ones have a stamped ridge that the drums rub on. They made quite a racket going around corners until 1500 miles of dynamic machining quieted them down.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
Joined: UTC
Posts: 616
Location: UK
 
Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
Joined: UTC
Posts: 616
Location: UK
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
looking for the quick, dirty, easy fix here.
Premix
UTC

Hooked
PX150E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 253
Location: Florida, USA
 
Hooked
PX150E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 253
Location: Florida, USA
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
so, I know how it all goes together and all that. but uhhh... what if you're presented with this?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

FFFFffff... right?

baby and bath water? just suck it up butter cup and order another?

it's going out on a client's bike, so I can't be playing around. I was contemplating sealing it up with motoseal or devcon.

but I ask the peanut gallery, what say you?

also I have to order all the other shit for the install too... so what's a tank at that point? no biggie.

looking for the quick, dirty, easy fix here.
That tank looks like it was precisely cut in two at the seam! But it looks brand new and cut on purpose that way. With special plastic repair epoxy, it can be bonded again, and covered with JB weld all the way around the seam, which is where cracks start and result in leaks.
If it were mine, that is how I would fix it. But I agree that replacing it would be the preferred option.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0257s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0118s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]