@brian_n avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Touring

Enthusiast
@brian_n avatar
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Curious, what peoples' thoughts are on having your Vespa serviced at a motorcycle service center/dealer. I mean, how different is a Vespa from a motorcycle?

Specifically, putting on new tires?
What other things would you trust them to do? Or not? Why? or Why not?
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I get my tires done at SF Moto in San Francisco. They sell Japanese and electric motorcycles now, but as I learned on this forum, they got their start servicing Vespas when Piaggio didn't have an official presence in the US.

Tires are generic: Vespa GTS tires also fit on a Honda Grom. The front wheel literally bolts on. I wouldn't hesitate to get my tires changed at a non-Piaggio shop, so long as they had the equipment to properly install/balance a tire on a 12" rim.

My Vespa is my only motorvehicle, so I ride it to the shop when it's time for a tire change. Some of the folks on this forum will take the wheels off at home, drive them to the shop in a car, and get the tires changed that way. As you can imagine, labor costs are lower if they don't have to take your rear end apart to access the wheel.
@nickj avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 S 125

Enthusiast
@nickj avatar
2009 S 125
UTC quote
Hi, I just had 2 tyres fitted at my local Yamaha dealers without problem, although I had removed the wheels , this enabled me to tidy up the exhaust and get a discount on the fitting price, although this feels strange after having "free" fitting on car tyres for 40 years, these are my first scooter/ bike tyres.
I would be happy taking it there for other work if needed though.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Depends on the shop. If they are professional and actually RTFM if they do not know the Vespa that well you should be OK. Also it helps a lot of they stand behind their work and again a professional shop will.

I'm moving from a city of about 3 million people to one of a little over 100,000. One of the first things I checked was bike dealers and I got lucky. There is a dealer that sells Vespas and can service all my vehicles. Reviews are great and they answered my email within a few hours, also a good sign. One irony is the BMW dealer does not include Motorrad. For that it's a 1.5 hour ride to Victoria.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
the only thing I can think of that a non vespa mechanic would possibly screw up when changing the rear tire is if you have an after marked exhaust then they could screw up the reinstall. like not sliding it on properly and positioning the clamp suitably etc. also many don't use antiseize when reinstalling making it a real real pain to get off next time. but chances are they will have done similar on a motorcycle and will be fine.

note: although most of these aftermarket exhausts have a slip joint with a spring, that can seize mean you have to disconnect the midpipe from the header.

PS, something that has always bugged me with this is that to you have to disconnect the rear suspension on the right side which involves pulling it strongly sideways. just feels wrong. is particularly bad if you have suspension with a larger diameter spring as it presses against the exhaust tank or if you use nylon bushings like the clauss. I ended up trimming the bolt shorter to make this not so bad on my scoot.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
I avoid Harley shops, even if they carry Vespa without some serious vetting & glowing word-of-mouth recommendations. Been there, lost almost 4 months of riding, regretted everything about it, fixed damage done by their mechanic on my own dime & time afterwards.

If they carry a stand-alone scooter brand or a moto brand with a scooter line over 50cc...much better prospects IMHO.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I have used independent mechanics since the first service on Rocket in 2006.

There is a Vespa dealership in Jacksonville, but I have found that my mechanics do a great job, so I stick with them.

I do oil and belt changes myself as well as removing wheels to take to an independent motorcycle repair shop for tire mounting.

It has worked for all of these years.

Bill
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0087s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]