OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Hi,

I'm sure some MVers will have good advice here. We have a PH in an area called King St W in downtown Toronto. We are moving in about a year and we just had the place valued for over let's just say a fair chunk of change. We paid way, way less than the current value as we bought before the neighbourhood became the next go to trendy spot in the city. So about $600K more than what we paid 13 years ago which is a decent return.

Anyway it is an older building so no option to charge EV's. We were just notified that for $5,000 we can have a proper 240V charging dock installed in our parking space. It's a limited time offer as we are bundling it in to save costs so get it while you can. Now we are not going to have an electric vehicle before we move but are wondering if it would help with selling when we move? Tesla's are very common here as are all sort of tother hybrid and EV's. New condo construction has built in changing stations but only in 20% of the spots. We are sort of like NYC where many do not own a car but many still do. What would you do here? Is it worth spending the money for something we won't use? Any advice is appreciated.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
To me it would depend on the discount, vs. how likely I thought the next owner would use it. If the same circuit would cost normally $5500, then no thanks. I'm not exactly sure where I'd draw the line but I doubt the discount is 50% so I would probably not put it in.

As you said, you will get no use from it. And, you are *hoping* the next owner does have a use for it, otherwise it's of no value at the next sale.

One other thing to consider is, at least here in US, raw material prices are high and so are prices in general. In a year, is it possible that same circuit could be put in at a lower price, even without this group discount, if the coming recession actually happens?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
We missed out on the multiple nevertoberepeatedonceinalifetime cheap deals on fibre broadband installs here.

Then they came and did it for free. I'm guessing charging stations will be the same.

But I'm still on copper. I feel the whole internet experience is better on copper.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
+3 for not a deal and not gonna raise your valuation over the added cost. You have no idea who is gonna buy your place and at that price, let them do it if they need it.

$800.. sure. $5k.. not my problem. At that price it just sounds like your building is trying to get you to foot the bill for their own improvements that will raise their own valuation in 10 years. 10 years after you are gone. You already getting big profit. Take that $5k and install three ev chargers at your new place cause you know you will need them in the future. 1 for your next car. 1 for wife's next car. 1 for your next bmw ce04.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
This is isn't one of those situations wherein "if you build it, they will come" situation.
Sure having a charging station is great and even if it is a discounted price I doubt you can get 50% of the sunk cost in this capex improvement, i.e. if you can get $x for it now, doubt you will get $x+ $2500 more just cuz you got that charging station.
You could maybe include in the sale that if the new owners want they could get this chargeport installed for the discounted price and let them pay for it before the closing.

Unlike water/gas/electricity/internet wherein you are having to see who is providing the services in a given location adding a chargeport is independent of such services. Here in NYC you have people who choose to buy/rent based on location to subway and what kind of internet service they going to have i.e crappy cable or fiber to the house/apt. Everything else is bonus.
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
Stella
UTC quote
I have a Tesla. Installing the Tesla connector or some other connector is a no-brainer. 90% of all EV charging takes place at home regardless of what you read on the internet.

If you don't have one you rely on either fast chargers (expensive, relatively) or the third party stations which are not widespread, and are also expensive.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
redstella wrote:
I have a Tesla. Installing the Tesla connector or some other connector is a no-brainer. 90% of all EV charging takes place at home regardless of what you read on the internet.

If you don't have one you rely on either fast chargers (expensive, relatively) or the third party stations which are not widespread, and are also expensive.
What is the overnight cost to home charge with a 240v socket?
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the answers all and it sure seems like the consensus is a no. I have to agree as I don't think it would help us that much with selling but wanted a sounding board. It is only about 0.004 % of the lower end of the expected selling price but no point in spending the cash if we will not really see a ROI. Now trying to sell without a parking spot can bite you in the ass but we already have that plus one of 4 spots in the building with a good sized storage cage in the parking spot which helps.

So yeah I think we'll pass and I appreciate the advice!
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
How much for just running the power, without the charger?
Maybe 240v, 100 amp breaker & #2 wire
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
The big question is are you actually getting a quick charger inverter or just a 240 volt outlet to plug the car into? If it's just an outlet, $5000 is pretty steep.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I have owned an EV for the past 8 years. I would not do without Level 2 (220V) home charging capability. It adds so much to the versatility of my EV. Now, your question takes away most of the motivation - "Is it worth spending the money for something we won't use?"

Would you really not use home charging at all? If that is literally true, I would be tempted to spend the money on an installation at your new place in Nanaimo.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Not until there is an electric GTS
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
I have owned an EV for the past 8 years. I would not do without Level 2 (220V) home charging capability. It adds so much to the versatility of my EV. Now, your question takes away most of the motivation - "Is it worth spending the money for something we won't use?"

Would you really not use home charging at all? If that is literally true, I would be tempted to spend the money on an installation at your new place in Nanaimo.
Agreed, that's a great idea and I should have thought of that! I mean I would have eventually . My wife is going down in July to meet with the designer to go over options. I'm staying out of that part of things but will mention that charger. The only thing I put my foot down on is not replacing the wood burning insert in the formal living room with gas. It is exactly next to where the Christmas tree is going and that deserves a wood burning fireplace.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
The only thing I put my foot down on is not replacing the wood burning insert in the formal living room with gas. It is exactly next to where the Christmas tree is going and that deserves a wood burning fireplace.
We replaced a (somewhat boring and not quite effective) gas insert with a pellet insert in a place we have outside of the city, that is in addition to other working fireplaces. The pellets burn cleaner, approaching carbon neutral and are way more exciting. The insert looks very good even when not in use and also runs on a thermostat.

How does that relate to an EV charger? It does add utility and value just the same and adds to the overall resale potential. Around here you can also qualify for a hefty tax rebate. If this is a better install for your new or old place depends on your market. But as far as know, in most scenarios you might not quite make the money back on any home improvement project with some exceptions, but it might give you an edge on the market.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
We replaced a (somewhat boring and not quite effective) gas insert with a pellet insert in a place we have outside of the city, that is in addition to other working fireplaces. The pellets burn cleaner, approaching carbon neutral and are way more exciting. The insert looks very good even when not in use and also runs on a thermostat.

How does that relate to an EV charger? It does add utility and value just the same and adds to the overall resale potential. Around here you can also qualify for a hefty tax rebate. If this is a better install for your new or old place depends on your market. But as far as know, in most scenarios you might not quite make the money back on any home improvement project with some exceptions, but it might give you an edge on the market.
True getting an ROI on renovations is rare. Getting an edge in the market is why we considered putting one in. There very well may be buyers with that on their wish list. However after reading the thoughts on here we are just going to put one in the new home while the renos are being done.

Oh and the wood burning fireplace has absolutely nothing to do with the EV charger whatsoever. I have a tendency to go off topic even in my own threads I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
Stella
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
What is the overnight cost to home charge with a 240v socket?
Short answer is not much.

Long answer is it depends on your cost of electricity and how much you discharged.

Not too much difference between using a 240 outlet and a Tesla connector besides convenience, the driving factors are your electricity cost and making sure your plug is wired appropriately.

Ballpark number-I 'd say use 4 miles/KwHr as a figure, and compare it with your cost onj your power bill. I get 5 miles/KwHr so this overcompensates for losses in your wiring.

And for clarity, when you charge with AC, you are using the onboard charger. When you fast charge, the current is DC and is regulated by both the car's management system and the charger logic.
@touchton avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yellow GTS

Hooked
@touchton avatar
Yellow GTS
UTC quote
Wow. $5000 seems a lot to me and I don't think you would recoup that cost when you sell. My outlet for L2 charger cost me $600. I didn't buy a dedicated charging station, I use the Tesla Mobile Connector that came with the car. After having the car for a little over 6 months I probably could get by with L1 charging. That's all dependant on driving habits. On average I drive about 50 miles a day.

Personally, I would leave that up to the next owner to deal with. I think there's a huge difference in driving habits between Nashville TN and Toronto. Most of the people I know want a truck or SUV. That would be best served with L2 charging. For people who average 50 miles a day or less and drive a smaller EV, L1 charging should be fine.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]