OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
I have owned my PX150E since new and my biggest frustration, by far, has been the oil sight glass cracking and leaking. Over 30 years, I must have changed them at least 10 times. The original one lasted about 6 years, but the replacements, on average, last about 1 1/2 to 2 years before cracks and leaks appears.

In fact, I have seen hairline cracks on brand new, never installed ones.

I have always taken great care that the glass is centered in the frame hole; I have also put tiny cushioning pads under the fuel tank upper edge to help with vibration, but no matter how carefully I have installed the tank, the sight glasses simply don't last.

I think the clear acrylic they are made of is simply not the best material for these.

I have even been thinking about closing the oil tank sight glass hole and make some sort of dipstick attached to the filler cap to check the oil level. It is not a a really viable solution because the oil banjo bolt/oil screen would be interfering with the dipstick, but I am considering it.

So, has anyone out there found a better quality substitute for the sight glass?
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
sp949 wrote:
I have owned my PX150E since new and my biggest frustration, by far, has been the oil sight glass cracking and leaking. Over 30 years, I must have changed them at least 10 times. The original one lasted about 6 years, but the replacements, on average, last about 1 1/2 to 2 years before cracks and leaks appears.

In fact, I have seen hairline cracks on brand new, never installed ones.

I have always taken great care that the glass is centered in the frame hole; I have also put tiny cushioning pads under the fuel tank upper edge to help with vibration, but no matter how carefully I have installed the tank, the sight glasses simply don't last.

I think the clear acrylic they are made of is simply not the best material for these.

I have even been thinking about closing the oil tank sight glass hole and make some sort of dipstick attached to the filler cap to check the oil level. It is not a a really viable solution because the oil banjo bolt/oil screen would be interfering with the dipstick, but I am considering it.

So, has anyone out there found a better quality substitute for the sight glass?
Reach out to Eric @2nd Avenue Scooters and pick up one of his CNC machined sight glass. Let him know I sent you.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
Reach out to Eric @2nd Avenue Scooters and pick up one of his CNC machined sight glass. Let him know I sent you.
https://2ndavenuescooters.com/product/custom-auto-lube-sight-glass-and-block-outs/
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
Great find/info!

I've also been cracking mine cause I have a serious case of OCD which presents itself as over tightening things!

Those look perfect and also the short version of sight glass looks like it's easy easier to get the tank in and out cause you are not fighting to get the sight glass in the right spot to slide in.

Also thanks Christopher_55934, hadn't seen their website yet after multiple people suggested them for the vin plate replacements. I really need to order a few sets from them for both large and small frames I have with damaged or sanded over plates.
⚠️ Last edited by swiss1939 on UTC; edited 1 time
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
those look fantastic
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
I might order a couple too. I scraped up my sight glass putting it in the Stella. There is a section of wire which makes the tank hard to push in. Putting some dish soap on it helped, but wow it's a tight fit even with all that foam removed.
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
Thank you for the link and contact. Eric makes a well designed and built, and I am sure it would outlast the scooter.
However, after I exhaust my supply of sight glasses, I am going to plug the sight glass with a plug and use my homemade dipstick attached to the cap to check the oil level. I made it from coat hanger. wire....
I sanded the end of the stick at the 1" mark so that is when I need to add oil. The banjo bolt and screen filter are 1 1/2" above the bottom of the filler neck, so 1" of oil is still safe as the minimum. I know, my solution looks kind of crude, but it is cheap and effective.

The modified plug is the remaining good part of the old oil sight glass that I just changed; I hacksawed its cracked nose off and found a plastic plug to firmly insert in the hole and super glued it. Anything that fits snugly would do, but the plug I used happens to be transparent, so, with flashlight lit from the frame hole, the oil can still be checked.
See attached photos:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT

Hooked
@chatis avatar
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT
UTC quote
What plug fits the sightglass hole? That one looks great.
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Chatis wrote:
What plug fits the sight glass hole? That one looks great.
It is an original sight glass with the nose cone cut off. That is the area where cracks begin and makes oil leak on the floorboard. But they can also start cracks where the flange threads into the oil tank; in this case, oil leaks in the tunnel and, once it puddles, it will seep near the front engine mounting bolt and onto the muffler.

Or, cracks may start everywhere on the sight glass, resulting in a huge oily mess. As I have stated in my original post, sight glasses may have hairline cracks even brand new, never installed. I have received several with these defects in the past. Their production quality control is clearly very deficient, in my opinion.

The plug I made only had cracks in the nose cone; so, I cut the cone off and plugged with a protective cap from a new auto A/C hose. But a cap from an Armor All spray bottle, shampoo bottle, etc., can be cut into a plug, as long as it makes a good seal. The metal plug made by 2nd Avenue Scooters would be the permanent solution to completely replace the sight glass, and I will probably buy it.

Over the 35+ years I have had my PX, I am convinced that the biggest factor in 2T oil leaks is the frame vibration produced by the engine; eventually it cracks the oil tank, sight glass, coupling nut on the oil tank filler neck, and even the oil hose chafing through inside the frame. I have had to replace all of these, but sight glasses are the ones that crack the most, and are a pain to change, since the fuel/oil tank unit has to be removed and great care is needed in the reinstallation.

2T oil leaks is often the reason that people decide in deactivating the Auto Lube system; it's a shame, because it is a very good system, that otherwise works well.

Using a dip stick attached to the oil filler cap would be a no-brainer, I think, since you have to raise the long seat to refuel anyway. Every time you gas up, just pull the oil dipstick and check the level; it only takes 2-3 seconds longer. And never fill the oil tank all the way to the to the top of the filler neck: the coupling to the tank cannot be trusted to seal completely, and eventually oil puddles in the frame. Now that I use a dipstick, I only fill up to 2" above the bottom of the stick, as you typically do in most automotive oil sumps.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
https://2ndavenuescooters.com/product/custom-auto-lube-sight-glass-and-block-outs/
Very cool
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Unfortunately out of the clear sight glass..

Would it make sense to spray clear coat to prevent leaking or will that not work?
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
dsnyder586 wrote:
Unfortunately out of the clear sight glass..

Would it make sense to spray clear coat to prevent leaking or will that not work?
I am confused on your question; but if I read it correctly, the plug that I made from the remaining portion of the damaged sight glass is just a plug, and would be covered by the black rubber plug on the frame hole.
It happens to be clear and, using a flash light, the oil level could still be checked after removing the black rubber cover; however, the dipstick check would be my normal method from now on.
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Sorry, I was thinnking then typing shorthand.

The above mentioned vendor making the repop sight glass is out of them currently.

The question is if I had a cracked sight glass, and then sprayed it with clearcoat, would it stop the leaking?
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
dsnyder586 wrote:
The question is if I had a cracked sight glass, and then sprayed it with clearcoat, would it stop the leaking?
No.
@basile_bailey avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VBB

Enthusiast
@basile_bailey avatar
VBB
UTC quote
If you want to replace the sight glass with a seal and plug the thread is M30x2.0 and this supplier has an allen head plug that takes an o-ring.

https://www.belmetric.com/m30-30mm-plugs-c-11_90_989/dp30x20ahpln-metric-drain-plug-plain-p-10273.html?zenid=5fu9hbn6t4jnnis5g0te7cfj53
OP
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
basile bailey wrote:
If you want to replace the sight glass with a seal and plug the thread is M30x2.0 and this supplier has an allen head plug that takes an o-ring.

https://www.belmetric.com/m30-30mm-plugs-c-11_90_989/dp30x20ahpln-metric-drain-plug-plain-p-10273.html?zenid=5fu9hbn6t4jnnis5g0te7cfj53
Great! That is exactly what I need to know.

Thank You!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]