OP
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Ok, so I'm in the process of sorting my pilot jet…

…there are two types being sold for PHVA carbs.

Can anyone shed light on the difference? I'm confuzzled.

Yes, I can replace like for like… but it still leaves me wondering what the difference is, and why there are two types:

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-motorcycle-carburettors-parts/carburettor-parts/jets-needles-floats-calibrated-parts/16280-dellorto-idle-jet-phva/

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-car-carburettors-parts/parts/drla-parts/idle-power-jet/
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
They are almost certainly NOT interchangeable. Believe the taller jet is the lower-speed of the two. The physics and hardware to atomize fuel at low quantities at low speed in the carb venturi are different than at high volume/speed.
OP
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
They are almost certainly NOT interchangeable. Believe the taller jet is the lower-speed of the two. The physics and hardware to atomize fuel at low quantities at low speed in the carb venturi are different than at high volume/speed.
Thanks. 👍

Interesting - my carb came with a 38pj (the latter type, akin to a MJ).

Tried a 32pj today (the former type, with an atomiser built in). It fits (the threads for it were there, as well as space in the tube). It runs but not much success with it today (granted, I need a 36).

Main jets attach to an atomiser, save that you only change the jet and leave the atomiser alone - I find it odd that the pj on my carb had no such thing in the hole (but it ran fine).
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
NSM? This is so annoying
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
NSM? This is so annoying
Oh, please. Step down from your fuel-injected ivory-tower high-horse and spend some time with us hoi polloi. Modern carbed Vespas have the same setup, with these two styles of jets in one carb.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Oh, please. Step down from your fuel-injected ivory-tower high-horse and spend some time with us hoi polloi. Modern carbed Vespas have the same setup, with these two styles of jets in one carb.
ROFL emoticon

Perfect answer. It made my day.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The 11600 jet is a main or power jet on some carbs and a pilot or idle jet on other carbs. 16280 is the pilot jet on all PHVA carbs.
That's why the 11600 is available from 25-120. 25 is a pilot jet and 120 is a main jet.
OP
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
The 11600 jet is a main or power jet on some carbs and a pilot or idle jet on other carbs. 16280 is the pilot jet on all PHVA carbs.
That's why the 11600 is available from 25-120. 25 is a pilot jet and 120 is a main jet.
Thanks. 😎

Any difference between the two in terms of how they might behave or should I just get the least expensive? The built-in emulsifier is intriguing.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
Thanks. 😎

Any difference between the two in terms of how they might behave or should I just get the least expensive? The built-in emulsifier is intriguing.
You should get the one that looks like the one you are trying to replace. KISS.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0071s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]