OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
So I'm debating getting the euro low profile gel solo seat for my 2022 GTS SuperTech because I hear it's more comfortable for taller folks. ScooterWest says that it does fit the latest HPE GTS even though it was originally designed for 2014 and earlier models, however, I see that the rubber bumpers under the seat are in the "wrong" location for the HPE GTS since the seat bucket got wider in 2015.

Some folks say this is no big deal, while others say that you should drill new holes in the seat's rubber seal to reposition the rubber bumpers towards the outer edge. ScooterWest makes no mention of them on their product page.

Can anyone who has or has had the seat on a newer GTS offer guidance on how necessary it is to reposition the bumpers?

I'd prefer to not try and shoehorn the bumpers into a location they weren't designed to be in, but I also wouldn't want to damage the seat or scooter in any way.

Also, I'm interested in this seat specifically because it supposedly has the most space for the rider. I know there's an updated version and the Sei Giorni seat, but those are different and have smaller rider sections.

For clarity, here's the seat I'm referencing:

https://www.scooterwest.com/euro-low-profile-gel-solo-seat-vespa-2003-2014-gts-gtv-super-seat-gts-gel.html
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Like I said in my original post……

"Also, I'm interested in this seat specifically because it supposedly has the most space for the rider. I know there's an updated version and the Sei Giorni seat, but those are different and have smaller rider sections."
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
UTC quote
strawberrysoda wrote:
"Also, I'm interested in this seat specifically because it supposedly has the most space for the rider. I know there's an updated version and the Sei Giorni seat, but those are different and have smaller rider sections."
If you say so. I have seen both and did not see any difference other than how they fit on the pet carrier.
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
If you say so. I have seen both and did not see any difference other than how they fit on the pet carrier.
I know which seat you're referencing and the SIP description specifically says that the rider section has lost 2cm over the previous iteration:
SIP wrote:
Due to its element of ergonomic design this sports-orientated seat, produced by PIAGGIO, fits perfectly into the overall look of the Vespa GTS while also providing a hint of race-track flair. The seats rider-contact surface is made from a cross-stitched and suede-effect vinyl material, providing extra grip for more feedback and control of the scooters course. It is decorated with white stitching and beading at the rear. The seat is slightly harder to sit on than its predecessor as this version does not possess a gel cushion inlay. The riders section has lost 2cm, providing any pillion passenger with more room and comfort. This seat is compatible with all Vespa GTS models produced since 2014.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/sport-seat-piaggio_PI182300
I've also seen a post on here where someone said that the newer solo seat feels almost identical to the stock GTS seat in terms of comfort, if not slightly worse, hence why I'm inclined to try the older gel seat I mentioned in my original post.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Member
2009 Vespa LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Member
2009 Vespa LX 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA
UTC quote
Hi there, I have owned this seat for years and absolutely love it! It is far more comfortable than the all the stock seats. I am going to be in the same boat as you being that I just bought a '22 GTS HPE and I plan to put the seat it.

If you look at SIP, they address the fit issue for this seat in its description. You will need to move the rubber bumpers out 5mm they say. Here is the link. I also attached a photo with the description.

They say it should take approximately 30 mins to do. However, they do not give directions. Curses! ✊🏻

I love this seat so much, I'll do everything I can to make it work.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/sport-seat-piaggio_PI605677
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@2wheelsdan avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 101
Location: York, Pa
 
Hooked
@2wheelsdan avatar
GTS300 supertech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 101
Location: York, Pa
UTC quote
I ordered this seat from Scooterpartsco for my 2020 GTS supertech. The description is for a European gel seat claimed to be 1" lower than stock and give the rider more room. I was disappointed with the seat. It isn't any lower than stock and didn't offer any more room for the driver to slide back.

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/low-profile-gel-solo-seat-for-vespa-gts-with-abs?zenid=vehionn1b1n6evodc9940ek441n

My wife bought a Corbin for her 2018GTS. I wouldn't recommend that one either. It definitely sits lower but puts the rider too far forward. She likes it for the lower seat height but feels too far forward. I asked Corbin about redishing the seat to move the rider position back further but they didn't want to modify it.

So far the stock seat on my 2020 supertech is the best so far.
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
2wheelsDan wrote:
I ordered this seat from Scooterpartsco for my 2020 GTS supertech. The description is for a European gel seat claimed to be 1" lower than stock and give the rider more room. I was disappointed with the seat. It isn't any lower than stock and didn't offer any more room for the driver to slide back.

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/low-profile-gel-solo-seat-for-vespa-gts-with-abs?zenid=vehionn1b1n6evodc9940ek441n

My wife bought a Corbin for her 2018GTS. I wouldn't recommend that one either. It definitely sits lower but puts the rider too far forward. She likes it for the lower seat height but feels too far forward. I asked Corbin about redishing the seat to move the rider position back further but they didn't want to modify it.

So far the stock seat on my 2020 supertech is the best so far.
So that's the "new" solo seat, which is the same one that comes stock with the Sei Giorni. It's frustrating, though, because many sites seem to confuse it with the previous solo seat that actually does sit slightly lower and have more room for the rider.

I ultimately decided to buy the same seat you did (the Sei Giorni one) as I didn't want to have to modify anything on a brand new seat and, unfortunately, I was also disappointed. I found the seat to be about as comfortable as a cement block and it became absolutely unbearable after an hour or so of riding. Like you, I went back to the stock SuperTech seat and am trying to just get accustomed to it.

Good to know about the Corbin. I was looking into it, but wasn't sure. Glad I decided to pass on it.
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
Hola33 wrote:
Hi there, I have owned this seat for years and absolutely love it! It is far more comfortable than the all the stock seats. I am going to be in the same boat as you being that I just bought a '22 GTS HPE and I plan to put the seat it.

If you look at SIP, they address the fit issue for this seat in its description. You will need to move the rubber bumpers out 5mm they say. Here is the link. I also attached a photo with the description.

They say it should take approximately 30 mins to do. However, they do not give directions. Curses! ✊🏻

I love this seat so much, I'll do everything I can to make it work.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/sport-seat-piaggio_PI605677
I did see that note from SIP, as well as a YouTube video mentioning the adjustment, but wasn't comfortable DIYing a solution myself. If you do end up repositioning the bumpers, though, I'd love to know how you do it.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13411
Location: Oregon City, OR
UTC quote
2wheelsDan wrote:
I ordered this seat from Scooterpartsco for my 2020 GTS supertech. The description is for a European gel seat claimed to be 1" lower than stock and give the rider more room. I was disappointed with the seat. It isn't any lower than stock and didn't offer any more room for the driver to slide back.
Just to add to the confusion, Scooterpartsco appears to sell 2 different solo sport seats for post-'14 GTS.

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/021-vespa/sport-seat-piaggio-for-vespa-gts-gts-super-125-300ccm?zenid=vehionn1b1n6evodc9940ek441

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/low-profile-gel-solo-seat-for-vespa-gts-with-abs?zenid=vehionn1b1n6evodc9940ek441n
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1550
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1550
Location: Oceanside, CA
UTC quote
I switched to a Gel Solo on my GTS250 as part of parts spending spree I went on during COVID shutdowns. I had always loved the look of the seat, the lines... etc. but for the first decade of ownership I rode two-up all the time so it would not work.

Today I went on my longest ride since installation, about 70mi. It was the first time ever that I 'noticed' my seat. I could ride all day on the stock seat and never had an issue. It's not that the Gel Solo is uncomfortable, just not as comfortable... I found myself shifting around whereas I never had to with the stock seat. Maybe I just need to break the foam in a bit more.

I will add, that I previously had a Classic Racks rear rack installed, and the seat hit the rack and did not like to close without a bit of persuasion. For now I have the rack removed so they do not fight with each other.
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
Oh geez. Those definitely appear to be the same seat, although they do have different part numbers. Hmm..
OP
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
 
Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 121
Location: Boston, MA
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
I switched to a Gel Solo on my GTS250 as part of parts spending spree I went on during COVID shutdowns. I had always loved the look of the seat, the lines... etc. but for the first decade of ownership I rode two-up all the time so it would not work.

Today I went on my longest ride since installation, about 70mi. It was the first time ever that I 'noticed' my seat. I could ride all day on the stock seat and never had an issue. It's not that the Gel Solo is uncomfortable, just not as comfortable... I found myself shifting around whereas I never had to with the stock seat. Maybe I just need to break the foam in a bit more.

I will add, that I previously had a Classic Racks rear rack installed, and the seat hit the rack and did not like to close without a bit of persuasion. For now I have the rack removed so they do not fight with each other.
Which gel solo seat are you talking about lol
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]