@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
I think my middle name should be "flat tire". I swear I get flat tires almost quarterly. Its a little better now that I have the econo FA Italia Aluminum rims but I just got another one today and its just a messy pain. It was at least time to rotate the tires and retire the front. (anyone have a good idea for what to do with the used up tires?).

Anyway I was washing the rim and I noticed on the deep side that there is a distinct groove as if to accept an O-ring and make this a tubless wheel.

First off, is tubeless really better? Or do i get less flats but then changing a flat is a way messier process because of the goo you put in the tire?

Second, can i just put goo in tubes?

Just curious.

h
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
I think my middle name should be "flat tire". I swear I get flat tires almost quarterly. Its a little better now that I have the econo FA Italia Aluminum rims but I just got another one today and its just a messy pain. It was at least time to rotate the tires and retire the front. (anyone have a good idea for what to do with the used up tires?).

Anyway I was washing the rim and I noticed on the deep side that there is a distinct groove as if to accept an O-ring and make this a tubless wheel.

First off, is tubeless really better? Or do i get less flats but then changing a flat is a way messier process because of the goo you put in the tire?

Second, can i just put goo in tubes?

Just curious.

h
If you go tubeless don't use goo, that stuff is a mess. You can plug hole with a rope plug if you want. Depends why your getting flats, if you have a nail stuck in your tire, your still getting a flat.
OP
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
I am finding a LOT of nails. I'd say 80% of the flats are nails, metal scraps, drywall screw bits, etc.

h
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
I am finding a LOT of nails. I'd say 80% of the flats are nails, metal scraps, drywall screw bits, etc.

h
Do you ride down center of lane instead left side?
OP
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
yes but I cannot avoid about 4 construction sites on my commute and then we have the 10,000 RVs and other decrepit vehicles. I'm not complaining about the people, i mean you gotta live somewhere, but the city really should step up and give everyone a place to put their garbage.

h
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
yes but I cannot avoid about 4 construction sites on my commute and then we have the 10,000 RVs and other decrepit vehicles. I'm not complaining about the people, i mean you gotta live somewhere, but the city really should step up and give everyone a place to put their garbage.

h
Nails etc get kicked up and accumulate in center of lane and shoulder of roads. Try to stay away from center of a lane if possible. As for construction sites your SOL.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:

h
are you gutter balling it on the shoulder or in the bike lanes? cuz that's were most of the debris winds up.

I've run out of gas more than I've caught a flat

(which has just now jinxed me, now that I've said it)
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

Oh man, bring a spare tomorrow G! Laughing emoticon
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Oh man, bring a spare tomorrow G! Laughing emoticon
think I'm good. while I have a spare on board I still ran out of gas yesterday. FFfffff

even better, I thought I was running out of gas. but I'd just hit a good sized dip and figured maybe I bumped something loose. so pulled into the station at the end of the block and checked.

(narrator: these block are long, reader)

every thing looked fine enough and figured I had engouh to get back to base.

(narrator: he did not)

and then fully ran out about a 1/2 block later. so pushed to the Arco. no 2T on board. of course. shit. so just blurb blurb'd it back to base low and slow. figured there was enough just kinda residual in there to make it okay.

this is where I remind you that the blocks are LONG. the push had me full on sweaty mess and the the ride back had the seat cover half up my ass.

so then OF COURSE I had to throw some 2T into the tank. give it the shimmy shake, let it idle it up for a hot minute and then take it out and make sure that I didn't kill anything. while sweating balls the whole time.

wish I'd caught a flat instead.
OP
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
Aren't you supposed to aim for the shiny bits and dead animals? guts look extra cool on a cowl.

h
greasy125 wrote:
are you gutter balling it on the shoulder or in the bike lanes? cuz that's were most of the debris winds up.

@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
Aren't you supposed to aim for the shiny bits and dead animals? guts look extra cool on a cowl.

h
shiny bits, yes. but not the road kill. I hate washing down a bike!
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
Quote:

My laugh for the day
Tru.
OP
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
for the record, even with the LML kit, i was in the turning lane passing everyone because they drive so fucking slow. I drive the citroen wagon the same way, like a damn rally car, and so I get 12mpg in town, but its FUN!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
i was in the turning lane
think I found the crux of the issue...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
My laugh for the day
Tru.
used to ride with a guy that LOVED passing on the right and gutter balling it. nearly every time we rode he'd catch a flat. on 8's. and me, on 10's. I started carrying a spare tube for him. and when that became tiresome, I told him to carry a spare-- but he didn't like the way it looked on the body or on a rack.

finally got to the point, where I gave him a spare tube and said. this is the last time. and I'm not waiting for you ever again.

he stacked it shortly thereafter. as suspected gutter balling it. he was bombing the deadman's lane and a guy made a left across stopped traffic in a "keep clear" onto the side street and they met. he didn't get hurt bad, but the bike was a write off.
OP
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
UTC quote
Look just because I get tired of waiting for a traffic light and so I drive through an empty lot and across a couple median strips and maybe a city park, am i not entitled to properly inflated tires?????

ffs!

h
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
Look just because I get tired of waiting for a traffic light and so I drive through an empty lot and across a couple median strips and maybe a city park, am i not entitled to properly inflated tires?????

ffs!

h
tire slime. in tubes.

a ride on kit with tubeless.

but I had a chuckle. I get you. I know the pain.

I have to go pick up cabinet materials for my brother now and again. it's a shitty industrial area and there's a pallet processing joint right next door. the taco currently has three different tires on it due to puncture nonsense. I'm afraid to get four nice new (load rated) tires for it only to roll by the recycle on my way to soil and sod and catch angle iron in the sidewall!

but more judicious riding choices may result in fewer flats. along with some additive to that tube...
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Did you not have the o-ring in there? I wouldn't have thought you'd get a seal without it. Need the o-ring and they say to put some rubber grease on it.
@almogavar69 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1987 Motovespa do Brasil PX200 elestart, 1979 P200E

Hooked
@almogavar69 avatar
1987 Motovespa do Brasil PX200 elestart, 1979 P200E
UTC quote
You have the tubless split rims there, which is the problem. I have the FA tubeless split. No issues. Get the o rings and try that.
@dirty30dillon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Yes

Enthusiast
@dirty30dillon avatar
Yes
UTC quote
The OP is running tubes on these rims, so the O-Ring isn't going to stop anything.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
I've bought enough FA Italia parts over the years to know that I will never buy another one of their parts ever again.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Unless there's a lip on each side to secure the tire's beading and hold air, those are not tubeless rims…
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Get the o-rings, plug your tyres. I had the Pinasco split tubeless on my PX which I really liked. I plugged a puncture and it lasted the life of the tyre.
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
I have one the rear of my P2 and it went flat pretty quick.I nicked the o ring groove a bit and it caused that, I'm sure. So I'm running an inner tube. But the big PIA is that it's a thicker wheel and the stock studs are too short to mount it. I had to drill out the studs on the hub and replace them with bolts. And I doubt it will mount in the spare position under the cowl without replacing those two studs.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:

h
Few years ago, Speedy was ON THE TRAILER as Ginchi & I were longhaulin back from a Mille/rally, when we stopped noticed that Speedy's Cowl was smashed in rather badly, then noticed the trailer mudflap was "a bit bent"... then spotted Kangaroo Hair in the guard.
It must have jumped, missed the van & smacked into a well strapped down Speedy, bounced off & under wheel of trailer! , not cool!
Luckily a few skilled whacks with a rubber mallet sorted the cowl & a swift kick for the trailers guard fixed that!
Note; had thought about claiming insurance, now, that was an interesting explanation!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0169s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]