OP
UTC

GL150, PX150, ET4, Stella Atomic Fireball w/ sidecar

UTC quote
I have a 2004 Stella Atomic Fireball. I replaced the oil and fuel lines. The oil will come out of the oil line and I can blow bubbles backwards through the line. I blow in the oil tank and it fills the oil line. As soon as I hood it up to the auto oil pump and fire up the scooter, air pushes back into the hose from the pump 4 inches and won't prime back into the pump.

The scooter worked perfect before putting the new oil line on. Now I can't get the oil pump to prime back up.

Please any help would be great.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Moved to Not-So-Modern where the autolubers roam
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Just a clarification: how long are you running it before concluding it doesn't work? It pumps extremely slowly, and air bubbles can be misleading.

One way to test if it is working is to disconnect the throttle link from the carb to the autolube arm in the carb box, so that when you open the throttle at the handlebar it doesn't open the carb throttle but DOES increase autolube rate.

Now: if the engine is allowed to idle until warm and then you pull the throttle wide open and hold it for a minute watch the exhaust - it should start to noticeably smoke more.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I let it idle and dripped oil in carp to not seize motor and it would slowly work its way towards the pump. As soon as I reved the engine the air pushes back to the 4 inch mark from the pump. I premixed a gallon of fuel and ran highway speed for about 40 min. And it still remained at the 4 inch mark. I also use a hose clamp on the hose to not allow air to enter the line.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
That doesn't really say much about if it's working. Like I said, the bubble method is unreliable in my experience. I would try the simple test I described in the safety of the driveway.

*edit* but thanks, those are important details and good precautions you took
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks xantufrog for the great information. Tomorrow I will definitely be doing the tests you suggested. All the years of dealing with my scooters and never been this stumped. I know, once I find the issue, it will be something dumb.

Will post results tomorrow.

Thanks again for taking the time.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Something.else you may want to try is blowing.into the oil tank and forcing oil from the tank into the oil pump. You've got to have a good seal to create the pressure to push the oil in there.

Also, ensure you have a fair amount of oil in the tank. I've noticed a bubble wasn't leaving, and adding a quart to the tank got rid of the bubble.

Xantu has posted the best method though to know it's working. Let the smoke begin!
⚠️ Last edited by qascooter on UTC; edited 1 time
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
The bubble can be misleading. There can be a bubble and oil can still be flowing around it. I had my oil line disconnected, the bubble was still there but oil was obviously going around it as it was dribbling all over the floor.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Update,

How I resolved the oil issue.

1. Disconnected oil line from pump.
2. Connected small piece of hose to syringe with T2 oil in it.
3 Attached with hose clamp to oil pump intake tube.
4. Start scooter with premix fuel in it.
5. Applied pressure to the syringe as I revved and unrevved throttle.
6. The syringe plunger began to push in. I turnd off engine once 3/4 of the oil was out of the syringe. Unhooked syringe and hose from intake tube.
7. Let the main oil line gravity fill with oil and attached to oil pump intake tube.
8. Small bubble visible. Started engine and left at idle while monitoring bubble. It slowly went inside the oil pump tube. Let idle until noticeably more smoke came out of exhaust. Then revved several times. Problem solved.

My theory, something in new oil line went into pump and blocked something or, air pocket. Pressure from oil being forced through the pump cleared the blockage.

See photos
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Well done, ride on mate
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0111s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0041s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]