@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Some of the details look very very Vespa. Others look kinda thrown together.

Models look completely unimpressed.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Well, I have to admit, somehow I had missed the latest on these. Kind of just assumed it was another Chinese corporation that had bought the name rights. Didn't realize it's actually a Swiss company now
@riceroket avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 GTV300, 2010 GTS300 Super (sold), 2006 LX150 (sold)

Enthusiast
@riceroket avatar
2016 GTV300, 2010 GTS300 Super (sold), 2006 LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
Hopefully this pushes Vespa to release a GTS350 or 400.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Kind of like the x300...especially in black and dark grey.
Almost like a Vespa with a custom job...
The rear light looks good. At least in a Milanese shopping center...
The rear light looks good. At least in a Milanese shopping center...
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Riceroket wrote:
Hopefully this pushes Vespa to release a GTS350 or 400.
A tad more power, but is it worth wishing for a "maxi" GTS? I'm not seeing a need to rush here, especially since nothing's hit the street just yet.

More-interesting from a competitive standpoint is the smaller model…again, presuming it hits the street somewhere close to on-schedule.

Not to mention pesky, un-sexy stuff like assembling a dealer/service network.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
So far, they are selling on the name and a look. But I have not heard or read much else. Sometimes these re-makes work out well, like Triumph. Sometimes not. For now, I will just watch and see if it comes up to the standard of, say, a Burgman 400.
@themayor avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2021)

Enthusiast
@themayor avatar
GTS 300 (2021)
UTC quote
Looks like a Vespa made of Lego's - the lines are just… off. No thanks.
UTC

UTC quote
fugly! Bleh emoticon
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
I wonder where they are made? China? India? An industrial unit in North Cheshire?

Not pretty anyway.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
I wonder where they are made? China? India? An industrial unit in North Cheshire?

Not pretty anyway.
Glorious workers paradise #9?
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Kinda ridiculous to resurrect a brand with an internal combustion engine into an over saturated market that has continued on without this brand for decades and is already beginning to transition to ev engines. Seems kinda stupid and late to the game. This market is flush with cheaper brand scooters that have already mimiced this brand.

It would have made more sense to me for them to get a leg up on the rest of competition with a higher performing ev lambretta since the competition is failing at that right now. The only serious competitor is the BMW ce 04 in terms of performance and range, but their pricing is sky high and the styling is so far from the traditional scooter brands to really attract the same crowd. The vespa ev isn't a serious player in this market as their speed and range are not much better than a power wheels toy for crazy prices.

Just seems like a desperate grab at whatever minimal market share they can get instead of a really thought out attempt to corner a market.
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Hate it

w.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Such hate. "Nobody ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the American public."-PT Barnum

Anybody seen the ads that say "America's Oldest Motorcycle Manufacturer"? Indian-circa 2015. If this Lambretta strikes a chord with the public it will sell. Looks, engineering or anything even resembling engineering excellence won't count. Just ask a Harley owner.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Such hate. "Nobody ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the American public."-PT Barnum

Anybody seen the ads that say "America's Oldest Motorcycle Manufacturer"? Indian-circa 2015. If this Lambretta strikes a chord with the public it will sell. Looks, engineering or anything even resembling engineering excellence won't count. Just ask a Harley owner.
To be fair, the Indian brand got kicked around a half-dozen times since the original company's demise in the mid-1950s before Polaris got hold of it and put some serious financial muscle behind it (admittedly mostly from their already-established Victory brand, which subsequently got scuttled…just ask a few Victory owners how they felt about that). I don't see anywhere near that kind of push for the once-again revived Lambretta, but I'll try and keep an open mind.

As far as two-wheeled EVs go, every attempt I've seen has been meager at best, and I'm afraid that goes for brands like Zero (the most-established by far) and Livewire as well. The urban market is flooded with El Cheapo runabouts (and e-bikes) running all over places like Gotham, and seem "good enough" for lots of folks. Nothing that appeals to me, but that's fine, because what I have does the job just fine.

(P.S. I believe that pull-quote of yours is from H.L. Mencken, who was good for lots of pithy quotes.)
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
As far as two-wheeled EVs go, every attempt I've seen has been meager at best, and I'm afraid that goes for brands like Zero (the most-established by far) and Livewire as well.
Meager, yes. EV's in the scooter market can't even come close to meager. Sure I agree that Livewire and zero are less than desired ranges for the price, but they are satisfactory enough for a city dweller with big wallets and can go helluva lot faster than the competition. It will only get better over the next few years.

Vespa EV is literally a joke. Almost 8K price tag for 62 miles range with a top speed of what.. 30mph?! I'd rather walk in the rain. Like mentioned, the BMW CE 04 actually has a decent top speed of 75mph with a pretty lame range of 80 miles... but the rub comes in at the price (aside from the obvious styling issues most have). For the price of the BMW CE 04, you can get a zero or livewire s2 del mar which goes 100+ mph for 100+ miles range. So you are essentially paying a premium to join the bmw fan club.

But back to the Lambretta special. I like the idea of it, but at this point we've got no less than 3 lambretta clones (of which the lambretta special is a clone), all essentially lip stick on another brands pig engine. Kymco is their own engine with the least lambratta-ish style of the lot. Royal Alloy is the most lambretta-ish style but with a Vespa engine (which is hilariously ironic). And the Lambretta special, which is a sym engine and not even the most lambretta-ish style of the bunch, given the front end looks more vespa than lambretta!

If you are going for a modern internal combustion lambretta scooter.. Royal Alloy is the best option. And we finally have the 300cc version in the USA. This is why I think they would have done better to try to get a jump start on the EV scooter market. I don't count any of the handful of junk chinese ev scooters cause those are not serious high end products trying to attract a scooter rider who cares about vintage styling, which is the whole point of these lambretta clones.
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespas GTS 300 2017

Enthusiast
Vespas GTS 300 2017
UTC quote
Very ugly this Lambretta with a falsely vintage appearance reinforced by a visual supported with the help of clothes evoking the 70s. build quality...
Ok, I'm being harsh but that's the impression that this visual makes on me.
As for a Vespa 400, for me I don't see the point, at least not with the current frame. What would a big Vespa bring? more expensive, heavier, bigger, we would move away from the Vespa spirit I think. There are big scooters including Piaggio.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
To be fair, the Indian brand got kicked around a half-dozen times since the original company's demise in the mid-1950s before Polaris got hold of it and put some serious financial muscle behind it (admittedly mostly from their already-established Victory brand, which subsequently got scuttled…just ask a few Victory owners how they felt about that). I don't see anywhere near that kind of push for the once-again revived Lambretta, but I'll try and keep an open mind.
PT Barnum. "There's a sucker born every minute."

I've seen glowing observations for Royal Alloy 150s from people who wouldn't bother to muster up the saliva to spit on a Wolf Lucky II which is powered by the same garden variety GY6 150cc. Wait until the same glowing praise pours in for the RA 300.

https://wolfbrandscooters.com/scooters/wolf-lucky-ii/
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
PT Barnum. "There's a sucker born every minute."

I've seen glowing observations for Royal Alloy 150s from people who wouldn't bother to muster up the saliva to spit on a Wolf Lucky II which is powered by the same garden variety GY6 150cc. Wait until the same glowing praise pours in for the RA 300.

https://wolfbrandscooters.com/scooters/wolf-lucky-ii/
comes down to the fact that its the most lambretta-ish style of their options. Glowing observations rooted in the look they want.

I've ridden a RA 150 and found it utterly boring and strange. It put me off the feeling of liking them that I had prior to it.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
So who builds the 350 engine for this new model and what was the origin of the design?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Models always look bored and indifferent.

It always makes me laugh when they use models clothed in gear that a scooter rider would never wear.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Facepalm emoticon I'm not impressed by the angular styling.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Models always look bored and indifferent.

It always makes me laugh when they use models clothed in gear that a scooter rider would never wear.
What, you mean Lambretta riders around there don't look like this?!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
I can honestly say that no one actually dresses like that locally.

Possibly internationally also.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
go nuts. its not a Lambretta.

might be fun to ride though.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Just like a Benelli isn't really a Benelli.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
indeed.

however, if somebody did dress like that... locally... I'd be inclined.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Kind of like the x300...especially in black and dark grey.
Almost like a Vespa with a custom job...
It pushes as well as any other Lambretta.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
It pushes as well as any other Lambretta.
I've never pushed any of mine

(unless I done run them out of gas)

turns out being a half ass mechanic makes for somewhat reliable motor scooters.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@puffybodie avatar
UTC

Honda Monkey 125, Yamaha XVZ 1300 RSV

@puffybodie avatar
Honda Monkey 125, Yamaha XVZ 1300 RSV
UTC quote
Funny the delay they have with those. Just now their lower line version X300 is starting to get reviews in Asia. So maybe G350 soon?

What I do not understand is why X300 without TFT is having keyless while G350 with TFT and 2 USB ports is having traditional key.........

Anyway it all comes to size. All of those clones like Royal Allow (not available in our country anyway in EU) are hilariously small and cramped compared to Vespa GTS (or Sprint/Primavera even). Even as dimensions seems ok on paper. That's the part where Asia always f.... it up be it Sym, Kymco or whomever. Only Peugeot with Django got it right, but they do not have it with 300 - 400cc engine however.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's interesting to see what the Chinese can make once they get the tooling for the 300cc Vespa engine. This is basically a royal alloy with a Vespa 300 engine stuffed in.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
This is basically a royal alloy with a previous generation Vespa 300 engine stuffed in.
There, fixed it for you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0453s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0303s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]