OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
My 1999 px125 disc has no spark. I have replaced the Stator, CDI, HT Lead, Spark-plug and Cap. Still no spark. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks...
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Disconnect the green "kill" wire coming from the harness and check again…
UTC

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
UTC quote
what kind of switch? One of my scoots (VBC super) with the common switch block of most vespa has a loose metal housing and the kill switch gets stuck every now and then....the bendy copper tab bit that earths may need a fettle.
Good luck
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
I've tried disconnecting the green kill wire from the cdi and it's the same connected or not... I've also removed and checked the ignition switch and I'm getting the correct readings...
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
Can anyone help me?...
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

79 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
We can try.

Post some pictures of the motor to start.

When you say "no spark," how are you testing it? Are you grounding a plug to the case and not seeing spark when you kick it over?

Next, it sounds like you've changed out a lot of parts piecemeal from the way you describe it, so let's make sure what you have should all work together.

Report back and we can work forward from there
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
There is no spark from the plug when earthed and tried to start on the key or kick start. I removed the plug and plug cap and held ht lead to earth.. no spark. I have removed the green kill wire from the cdi.. no spark. Engine turns over ok. I have checked the ignition switch with a meter.. readings ok. I'll take a photo of the engine, but not sure how to upload it... (The last 2 times I used my scooter, It wouldn't start on the key but it bump-started). Does this mean anything... Thanks in advance for any ideas...
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
When you reply to the post, you'll see a "Choose File" button. You can upload from phone or computer.

Have you tried a new spark plug? The old one might be fouled. I've had the motor die like it suddenly lost spark while running more than once because the plug was fouled.

Also (and this is part of why we like pictures; they can save potentially condescending sounding questions), are you sure you removed the correct green wire? Seems obvious, but worth double-checking.
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
Tried with 3 new plugs. I did removed the correct green wire and checked it on my meter to the ignition switch. I checked the 7.5 fuse. Did I mention that I replaced the start relay as well.. This is driving me mad... I'll take a photo tomorrow... Thanks...
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Other things that come to mind...
- pickup out of alignment with the flywheel
- stator wires shorting to ground or rubbed through and interfering with each other (doubtful at this point since the stator as replaced)
- plug wire isn't fully screwed in to either the CDI or the plug cap
- wires aren't properly seated in the connectors (if you're not wired directly from the stator to the CDI)

we'll figure it out.
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
I do hope so... I'll check the things you have suggested tomorrow.... Thanks...
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
DJ Doogle wrote:
I removed the plug and plug cap and held ht lead to earth.. no spark.
Just to be clear...
Did you hold the HT lead to earth?
Or did you hold it so there is a gap between the lead and earth?
There has to be a gap to create the spark.

I have a tool similar to this one.
Should be available at an auto parts store.
You plug it in and it shows the spark inside it.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
DJ Doogle wrote:
My 1999 px125 disc has no spark. I have replaced the Stator, CDI, HT Lead, Spark-plug and Cap. Still no spark. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks...
When exactly did it have spark last? What happened that you replaced all the ignition components? Where did components you used come from? Sometimes when replacing everything, a bad component can unknowingly get installed.
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
I held the ht lead with a gap between it and the earth. I also checked the new stator readings. The reading between the green 'low tension' wire and the white earth wire is not reading any ohms. it is faulty... I have ordered another one from Saxon Scooters. The faulty one is on its way back to the dealer that I brought it from for a refund... I'll let you know what happens when the new replacement stator arrives... Thanks...
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
I last had a spark a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn't start on the key or kick start but it started and got me home on a bump start...
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
Photo of engine as requested. New stator arriving tomorrow...
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Have you tested your ground? You need to have a decent ground for the CDI, you can't rule it out. The CDI has its own ground wire. Also, see if you can swapp the flywheel with a buddy's flywheel.

Lastly the stator itself. I posted a few pictures a few months ago of my stator lose. It had the rivets lose and it was moving around, so much that sometimes it wouldn't generate spark. remove the flywheel and take a physical look at the stator rivets and make sure that the coils plate don't move side to side or up and down.

Make sure that your woodruf key is there otherwise you can kick it and the flywheel wouldn't move and therefore it wouldn't turn and generate the magnetic field. I am sorry if I am being skeptical but you got to be.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
Make sure that your woodruf key is there otherwise you can kick it and the flywheel wouldn't move...
Everything else, but Not This.

They flywheel is held to the crank by a pressure fit of the conical shape. The woodruff key is strictly for alignment purposes, since the flywheel rotation determines spark firing.

It's entirely possible (though definitely not recommended) to install a flywheel with no woodruff key at all, you're just going to be at risk of the timing being off unless you get it just right.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ I get what you are saying. The woodruf key in a perfect world lines up with the notch "gate" on the flywheel but in some instances there are flatten woofruf keys out there that are worn out and ocasionally the flywheel would "grab" the crankshaft and turn it but is not fully secure.
What I am saying is (in other words) that the flywheel can also be installed wrong and give you the perception that is turning just fine. It turns because of the conical shaped crankshaft and the flywheel nut capable to pushing that flywheel hard even without the woodruff key.
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
Hi all, the new stator arrived this morning. I put it on my scooter and it fired up and ran… Yeee!!!…Haaa!!!. I took it out for a 5 mile run; no problems went like a dream. Just goes to show that when you purchase 'new' parts, they could be faulty. I had the faulty stator on my scooter for a week before I found out that it was faulty. Got a full refund from the supplier today.
Just a quick mention, my original stator that failed, gave all good ohm readings when checked with my meter. I saw an article on u-tube that said just because you get the correct meter readings from your stator it could still be faulty. Thanks for all the replies to my post…
Happy, safe scootering everyone… Alan, (Doogle).
[img][/img]
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I'm glad to hear you're back on the road!

There's nothing more frustrating than receiving DOA parts, I think. Because you do the work to install them, then spend even more time trying to troubleshoot what you think is a different issue, when it's the same damn issue.

In any case, all's well that ends well. I'm glad the supplier did right by you on the refund/replacement, too!
OP
UTC

PX125 Disc (1999)

PX125 Disc (1999)
UTC quote
When I fitted the faulty stator and there was still no spark, I thought I must have been sent a faulty CDI so I ordered an other one from a different supplier. So now I have got the original CDI which never had anything wrong with it and the first replacement CDI which I thought must have been faulty but wasn't. I also brought a new starter relay when the original one had no fault. A new HT lead spark plug and cap when I never needed to replace them. Such is life.
At least I'm back on the road on my scooter...
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Just think of it as your Scooter Parts Dragon Hoard Starter Kit Razz emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0507s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0379s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]