OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I have 2012 Piaggio fly 50 4T 4V and I know a recall #90529 is out but no help from Piaggio. I called them at 212-380-4400. They say it does not effect my scooter however the Piaggio website flags it as having a problem with ignition. The issue is it is bogging down but it starts and idles fine. After a few minutes it boggs down and will not excellerate;it starts fine too.
I have replaced spark plug, air filter, intake carb side, carburetor, gas line and filter, changed gas and flushed gas tank, tried riding with tank cap off to vent. Sprayed all the vacuum lines and hoses with carb cleaner and no leaks. I am thinking perhaps the CDI is the problem but not sure. Wear is it located? Would Malossi CDI be better than OEM?
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Have you replaced the vacuum valve at the bottom of the fuel tank?
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
What fuel filter.I believe the only fuel filter is on the vacuum valve at the tank.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I added a fuel filter because I did not see that it had one. The vacuum operated fuel cock seems to be in good order. I placed a vacuum pump on it and drained the tank; it never stopped until the tank was empty. It took a while to drain as it was full of gas. I have not been able to find any info on how to remove it from the tank. I bought a new one 6 months ago in case I needed it but never installed.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Make sure the filter is installed in the right direction( arrow on it). When I had a lx I had the same problem but would not run with a filter on it.The fuel petcock pulls straight down after removing the clamp.Put new hoses on it if you have not done already.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
FIXED.
After input from Harry Brenner . I took his advice and removed my fuel filter and it stopped with the bogging down problem. I had to think for a bit about why this was happening and I figured it out. The fuel filter nipple inside diameter was significantly smaller than the the inside diameter of the carburetor fuel inlet nipple. I carefully drilled out the plastic filter nipples as to NOT get any shreds of plastic in the filter housing to the same inside diameter as the carburetor nipple and tried the filter installed once again. It started up and idled fine and when riding i had no issues with bogging down. I have now put 23 more miles on it with no problem.
The problem was that a low speed I had enough gas flow up to 15mph. After that the carburetor was not getting enough fuel supply for the demand and that was causing it to boog down. Thanks for your help.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I never thought about drilling it out but I tried 3 different types before taking it off.I was not having troubles but I had just put a new carb. On from Scooterwest and thought it might help.Glad you got it fixed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0099s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]