UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Hi Folks

My Vespa GTS 300 suddenly has like a stiff feeling - kind of making me make wider turns etc. On straightaway it's totally fine, and it's even fine turning……it just feels stiffer and not like butter and fluid as it was. Just happened when I was riding the other day. I checked my psi and it's 31 in front and 29 in back so that's all good. Any thoughts?? It is a bit hard to explain but it's just a feeling of stiffness when riding and it's not letting me turn handlebars as fluidly. I was hoping it was tire pressure but it's not.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
I don't think this is the answer to your question, but are you sure it's supposed to be 31 in front and 29 in back? Usually the rear is higher than the front.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Can you feel resistance in the steering when the scooter is not moving?

Is there anything wrong with the brakes?
⚠️ Last edited by JKJ-FZ6 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Was just going by what some people said on here.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Can you feel resistance in the steering when the scooter is not moving?

Is there anything wrong with the brakes?
When I am at red lights Etc I turn from side to side and see if it feels fine. It's just then if I am riding and want to turn there is a bit of resistance that wasn't there a few days ago and I have to make wider turns and lean in it seems
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
Sounds like you got it backwards, that's all. It wouldn't have any effect on the steering unless the pressure was much lower than that.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Sounds like you got it backwards, that's all. It wouldn't have any effect on the steering unless the pressure was much lower than that.
Yep, that minor a difference is well within tolerance and steering would be fine. Tire pressure to me is a personal preference thing and go with what feel right as long as it is within tolerance. People weigh different amounts some have a lot in the top case etc etc. If I'm filling the top case with heavy groceries (beer) I don't adjust my pressure for the trip home.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Just a thought -- You're fairly new to that scooter, aren't you? Maybe you're adjusting to the way it handles and leaning more, or starting to feel your counter-steering.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
I was hoping it's a tire pressure thing but it's not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Strange steering 'feelings' could be several things. It could be the beginning of a notch in the steering bearings, it could be engine swingarm needle bearings breaking up, it could be engine support silent blocks disintegrating.

Or, as above, if the GTS is new to you, and you're comparing to an LX say, then it could just be that you need to become better acquainted,
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
I don't see the subtle tire pressure difference as a big deal, though as JKJ states you've got the pressures backwards.

May just be you adjusting to the ride..... Nerd emoticon
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Perhaps it's just me adjusting I guess…….it's just that after 800 miles it suddenly feels a bit different is all. I guess it's not a big deal
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Just got this scary message via PM - ??? Is this spam or what
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
Check the decals or metal plate for PSI required.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Thescooterbud runs a scooter parts web store. Beyond that, I don't know much about him or his site. Scooter emoticon
These are the manufacturer's recomendations.
These are the manufacturer's recomendations.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The spam question was answered in its own thread. Let's drop that subject in this one.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
At only 800 miles, it can't be a wear issue.

I have replaced worn steering head bearings, but both times after 50,000 miles.

I believe that you are new to the scooter and getting used to the way it handles.

But just in case, have someone familiar with the GTS ride it and offer their thoughts.

Bill
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Have you been poking around in the headset/ horn cast lately? Theres a lot of wires and brake cables in there. If any of those became dislodged and jamming/fighting, it could cause an issue.

Like Bill said, have someone familiar with a GTS ride it and ask their thoughts. If you cant, go to your dealer and have them ride it. Bad steering can turn into a safety issue.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
Have you been poking around in the headset/ horn cast lately? Theres a lot of wires and brake cables in there. If any of those became dislodged and jamming/fighting, it could cause an issue.

Weird, though, that it seems to turn fine when not actually riding... Nerd emoticon
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Weird, though, that it seems to turn fine when not actually riding... Nerd emoticon
Honestly, who knows!?! Until we get hands on, were all guessing at something posted on the internet! Thats why I agreed with Bills idea, have someone else check it out.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
I'd lean toward worn marzlevanes. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. When the marzelvanes wear irregularly the side fumbling is noticeable.

Yeah ... I've got nothing.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
Put it on the center stand and put a jack (and soft pad) under the front frame and jack until the front wheel is off the ground.

Does the wheel turn freely side to side? Any obvious notchiness or grunching?

Get on the floor and look up into the area where the steering tube enters the frame. Anything look like it's binding? Any debris jammed up there? Any play front to back?

Look at the suspension arm at the front wheel. Anything jammed into the pivots? Maybe a piece of road trash? Is there a bolt or nut backed out or rubbing?

Watch the front wheel as you lower the jack. Does the suspension flex as the weight comes back to the front end?

Is the fender binding/rubbing underneath the leg shield?

Are any cables binding or out of their clips?

Take it step by step: look, manipulate, listen, feel. Get a flashlight and a mirror to look behind things.
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I'd lean toward worn marzlevanes. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the panametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. When the marzelvanes wear irregularly the side fumbling is noticeable.

Left fumbling and right fumbling are two different problems. Has this bike ever been in Australia?

Yeah ... I've got nothing.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
have you been hitting any bumps or holes hard enough that the front suspension has 'bottomed out' (reached the end of it's vertical travel)? the shock travelling up the front fork could damage the steering bearings.

I think it was hitting way too many potholes and speeds that were too fast as well as too much corrugated / washboard roads that have damaged my steering bearings. GTS steering bearings

PS and fix your pressures as everyone else here has mentioned although I'm not really sure that that's the cause.
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 3 times
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
I think you just bought this bike new from the dealer a couple months ago? Is it feasible to have them look it over?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
have you been hitting any bumps or holes hard enough that the front suspension has 'bottomed out' (reached the end of it's vertical travel)? the shock travelling up the front fork could damage the steering bearings.
Reading RocklandDad's experiences since he recently acquired a new GTS, it is hard to imagine that would be his problem.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
Sometimes it's the tire. I have felt strangeness like that on old tires, changed them, and had steering feel normal again. The bike would try to turn in or flop to the inside such that I had to push excessively on the the inside hand to keep it from turning in. Maybe it's your new tires
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
Remember 2 wheelers are leaned, not steered, except at. real slow speeds.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
The other day when I checked my PSI when this all started happening, I noticed they were just about the settings they were supposed to be (as per sticker in glove box) but I thought perhaps since it's been 400 or so miles since last service that maybe they has PSI higher than normal........and that is what I was used to......So, I put my back at 42 (recommended 37.7) and my front at 32 (recommended 26) and it feels back to normal.

Perhaps it's all in my head.......but I will take it!! 30 miles today and was pissed I couldn't stay on due to family obligations. lol
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
The other day when I checked my PSI when this all started happening, I noticed they were just about the settings they were supposed to be (as per sticker in glove box) but I thought perhaps since it's been 400 or so miles since last service that maybe they has PSI higher than normal........and that is what I was used to......So, I put my back at 42 (recommended 37.7) and my front at 32 (recommended 26) and it feels back to normal.
I'm not sure where you are getting some of these numbers. Piaggio recommends 1.8 bar (26 psi) in front and 2.0 bar (29 psi) at rear for one up riding and 2.2 bar (32 psi) at rear for 2-up riding. A heavier rider will probably want to go a little higher than 29 at the rear. Having said all that, adding another couple of pounds (front and rear) if you like the feel of that will certainly not doing any harm, but I'd think 42 psi at the rear while riding one up would make your scooter ride like an ox cart. Just saying.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
Has the scooter had its first service at 620 miles (1000km)?

The Primaveras (and I assume the larger Vespas as well) are meant to have the steering adjusted after the first 620 miles.

After the first service, it's never routinely adjusted again - only inspected.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
So, I put my back at 42 (recommended 37.7) and my front at 32 (recommended 26)
42?
forty two?
FORTY TWO?

Seriously no, that's so far wrong it's not even funny
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
I'm not sure where you are getting some of these numbers. Piaggio recommends 1.8 bar (26 psi) in front and 2.0 bar (29 psi) at rear for one up riding and 2.2 bar (32 psi) at rear for 2-up riding. A heavier rider will probably want to go a little higher than 29 at the rear. Having said all that, adding another couple of pounds (front and rear) if you like the feel of that will certainly not doing any harm, but I'd think 42 psi at the rear while riding one up would make your scooter ride like an ox cart. Just saying.
Check this out......it states clearly 37.7 for rear.

OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
Has the scooter had its first service at 620 miles (1000km)?

The Primaveras (and I assume the larger Vespas as well) are meant to have the steering adjusted after the first 620 miles.

After the first service, it's never routinely adjusted again - only inspected.
Yes, I had the first service done......I had it done at 477 miles since they were replacing my fuel pump which was faulty at that time.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
Clearly states 37.7 for rear.
If you read the whole plate you'll see it's talking about with 2 large adults on it. What did i just say? We'll it says gross vehicle weight of 352kg (98 front and 254 rear). The wet weight of gts is about 160 so to get 350 would require 2 x 95kg people. Yikes.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
Check this out......it states clearly 37.7 for rear.

That is the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight pressure, 2.6 bar (37.7 psi). That's the maximum for driver and passenger, as stated on the sticker inside the glovebox. Driver alone is less - depending on your weight. Piaggio suggest 2.2 bar - personally I like it a little more, 2.3 or 2.4, and I weigh ~175lb. 42 psi (2.9 bar) is way over the limit for safe riding on *this Vespa*. The tyre itself may have a higher maximum on it (they vary) but that's to prevent failure...

42 psi is NOT wise. You risk having a less than adequate contact patch and blowing out if you hit a pothole.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
That is the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight pressure, 2.6 bar (37.7 psi). That's the maximum for driver and passenger, as stated on the sticker inside the glovebox. Driver alone is less - depending on your weight. Piaggio suggest 2.2 bar - personally I like it a little more, 2.3 or 2.4, and I weigh ~175lb. 42 psi (2.9 bar) is way over the limit for safe riding on *this Vespa*. The tyre itself may have a higher maximum on it (they vary) but that's to prevent failure...

42 psi is NOT wise. You risk having a less than adequate contact patch and blowing out if you hit a pothole.
What do you have front and back?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
RocklandDad wrote:
What do you have front and back?
1.8 and 2.3 bar (26 and 33 psi) at the moment. Rides like a dream.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
I will do that as well.
OP
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
1.8 and 2.3 bar (26 and 33 psi) at the moment. Rides like a dream.
Thanks for your help with this. So many different people telling me different things.....but I followed your guidance and mine is back to riding dreamy.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]