@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I've been noticing some scuffing on my handlebar cover, primarily around the controls for each hand, and also below the speedometer (presumably from opening the seat).

Any recommended ways to handle this? Seems like the options are:

- Apply some kind of wax to these areas periodically to fill in the scratches and make them less noticable.

- Find stickers that fit over these areas, as protection from said scratches.

- Accept that things that are used show wear, and keep ignoring them.
Notice the white areas on either side of the headlight switch
Notice the white areas on either side of the headlight switch
UTC

Banned
still shopping

Banned
still shopping
UTC quote
I don't know if this helps, but my summer gloves are kevlar reinforced fabric and they abrade the heck out of the switch gear on my Guzzi. My winter gloves are leather and don't do that.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
do you have a cover on your bike when parked? if so could it be rubbing on a windy day?
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
If it were your turn signal button and the throttle I'd say look at your gloves, but I doubt you're aggressively switching from high to low beam. Unless you overshoot the button with your glove when you hit the turn signal.

A mystery!

I would either get some vinyl sheeting in a complementary color (maybe a matte black) or 3M clear film protector.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I have scratches down the center of my speedometer. I can try to get pictures but the scratches don't show well with my phone camera. So it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what caused this!
Cracking/hazing from being parked outside during work?
Normal crazing like a car headlight gets?
Vandals?
Nope, when I slide forward and stand up to let my wife off the scooter as a passenger my zipper bottom on my jacket, were the zippers meet, hits the dash. Since we rarely ride double anymore I just accept the scratches as part of actually riding it as intended. Still annoys me though a bit because I notice the scratches when giving the scooter a bath. And the scratches are just deep enough that headlight repair kits don't work.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
If it were your turn signal button and the throttle I'd say look at your gloves, but I doubt you're aggressively switching from high to low beam. Unless you overshoot the button with your glove when you hit the turn signal.

A mystery!
It confused me at first too, because it's also on the ASR button, which I've very rarely used. It's possible that asshats are playing with my switches when it's parked (I have occasionally found the killswitch on), but I doubt that happens enough to abrade the finish. Eventually I just presumed that after 2+ years of use, maybe I'd ridden it enough between washes that it started to patina.
steelbytes wrote:
do you have a cover on your bike when parked? if so could it be rubbing on a windy day?
BarnacleBill wrote:
My winter gloves are leather and don't do that.
The fingers on my gloves are leather, and I don't use a cover.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
That is odd. I don't think that is normal. Is the stitching on your gloves rough at all?
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
That is odd. I don't think that is normal. Is the stitching on your gloves rough at all?
Nope - soft leather undersides on all my gloves.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I had presumed this was a wear-and-tear thing, but after hearing from you guys that it's uncommon, I've realized this is another casualty of the GTS Touring's perennially defective espresso brown seat.

The tell is that it's also occurring under the speedometer, which rarely gets contact from anything else. It also explains why the righthand switches are scuffed, even though I rarely use them, and why the lefthand ones are more heavily scuffed - it's the side you'd make contact with if you opened the saddle with the ignition locked - and why the scuffs continue farther in than I'd expect my thumbs to be making contact.

So my seat has been ugly for more than half the life of my scooter, I don't even know how many pairs of pants have been stained with failing vinyl, and now my paintjob is being abraded too. It's so infuriating that Piaggio hasn't been making this right.

At some point I should just give up and pay out of pocket to replace it. With the backdrop of my dealer's optimism that they'll eventually fix it, it's been easy to perpetually put it off. These scratches might be the last straw.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The seat vinyl should be under warranty (I've had two replaced in the past), your dealer should insist, and keep on insisting. Piaggio nearly always refuse the first request for a cosmetic warranty repair or replacement, so your dealer *must* keep at them.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I had presumed this was a wear-and-tear thing, but after hearing from you guys that it's uncommon, I've realized this is another casualty of the GTS Touring's perennially defective espresso brown seat.

At some point I should just give up and pay out of pocket to replace it. With the backdrop of my dealer's optimism that they'll eventually fix it, it's been easy to perpetually put it off. These scratches might be the last straw.
If you want to do something ASAP but still holding out foe a replacement, why don't you get a Cheeky Seats cover? Goes on easy, comed off easy if you get the warranty cover, and keep or sell it later.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I confirmed it's the saddle today - the spacing of the control area scratches lines up perfectly with the seat when the handlebars are straight.
jimc wrote:
The seat vinyl should be under warranty (I've had two replaced in the past), your dealer should insist, and keep on insisting. Piaggio nearly always refuse the first request for a cosmetic warranty repair or replacement, so your dealer *must* keep at them.
Every time I've talked to my dealer since it happened he says he's on it, but it's been 16 months (not counting the first saddle this happened to). This is absurd. Maybe it's time to file a complaint with the NHTSA.
@grouper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring

Hooked
@grouper avatar
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring
UTC quote
That is strange. I have the same model and have not had any problems with the seat degrading. I do put a vinyl protectant on it about every 2 or 3 weeks.
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
I'm not saying you should throw money at the problem, but at 16mo I would have either reupholstered or replaced the seat out of pocket.

By going the replacement route you could have brought it to your shop, given it to them, and possibly eliminated the 'out of sight, out of mind' issue. You also would have had more flexibility brining it to other shops to see if they could help with the claim.

If/when the seat was finally replaced under warranty, you'd have the option of selling the new seat to recoup some of your loss.

Regarding the scratches along the handlebars and controls.. do you hold onto one of the handlebars when the seat is open while you're fishing around in the under-seat storage? Possibly moving the bars against the seat ever so slightly? Do you keep the seat open while the bike is running and you are getting geared up, so that the vibration of the motor is aggravating the problem?

I am by no means being accusatory. I hope my message is not being taking so. Just trying to figure out how so much damage is being done by a seat resting against the handlebar.
UTC

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300
UTC quote
I wonder if riding pants (like the stuff the OP is wearing in his avatar) are going to be more abrasive to soft surfaces like the vinyl Vespa used for seat covers.

Vespa is a lifestyle brand and builds products to be comfortable to a suburban dufus like me in cotton jeans. I just don't see how that OEM seat holds up well to Kevlar, mesh, or Cordura pants.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
mrob wrote:
I wonder if riding pants (like the stuff the OP is wearing in his avatar) are going to be more abrasive to soft surfaces like the vinyl Vespa used for seat covers.

Vespa is a lifestyle brand and builds products to be comfortable to a suburban dufus like me in cotton jeans. I just don't see how that OEM seat holds up well to Kevlar, mesh, or Cordura pants.
I've had two seats replaced in the past after Piaggio admitted that they were covered in a bad batch of vinyl - any hint of sun (even in the UK) and they'd get sticky. I suspect Piaggio bought it cheaply.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0652s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0467s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]