OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
I picked up a <1000 mile ET4. Ran "ok" when I got it home on a <5 mile. Next day I rode it and made it half a mile and it quit running. Got home and started to pull parts and the "issue" was that the disintegrated air filter was sucked into the carb.

Instead of piece-meal the project, I ordered new hoses, manifold, bellows, etc. The carb was disassembled and soaked and cleaned. At this point I removed the evap system. Put everything back together and get the idle and air screw set (2.5 t out) and its running fine. Out to test drive and it wont rev with a load (me) on the bike.

I 'assume' vac leak or clogged pilot?

-Check all new hoses and vac points (fuel line, vac to manifold ((which has second port capped))
-Check / re-torque manifold (even put old one back one to test)
-Check pilot

All check out OK. What am I missing? The evap removal seems solid, more of a fueling issue. I attached the evap stuff I removed. The line to the gas tank just dangles and is not 'closed.'

Any suggestions appreciated.

[/img]
evap stuff
evap stuff
UTC

ET4 150

ET4 150
UTC quote
I'm no expert but we both just made the same mistake; riding home a Vespa that had been sitting for years. I just popped the air filter cover on mine and most of the foam filter had been sucked into the engine as well. I assume this happens a lot and must not be as horrible as it sounds as the scooter was running fine on the short trip home.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Surely carb'd bikes should have the port that connected to the evap canister left open, but possibly filtered?

It's the fuel injected ones that need that port closed.

I'm pretty sure I have that the right way round! Our GTS300's (FI) have the port blocked off.
OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
It really feels like fuel starvation. I open the bowl and the float was not inline w/the body of the carb, so I adjusted the tang to make the float parallel (with the body).

I also spend an hour w/the air screw trying every combo at a 1/4 turn at a time from 1 out all the way to 5 out. Still not getting the bike off the linen.

I also checked the vacuum by pulling the vac line to the manifold and sucked on it. Created pressure and put my tongue over hole and it help pressure.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0091s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0019s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]