OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Sadly this year the death toll is 5 including a father and son.

https://news.sky.com/story/isle-of-man-tt-we-all-know-the-risks-says-racer-after-five-deaths-lead-to-calls-for-ban-12632067

Honestly going to see the Isle of Man is on my bucket list and I know someone who has raced it a few times. The competition is the pinnacle of motorbike racing but comes at a risk. I'm not sure how I feel as the very real risk of not making it to the other side of the finish line is known to the racers. That being said , is it too dangerous? I respect a lot of MVers options and I'd be interested on the take.

For a first person view of what they do here is a take.

The official channel -

https://www.youtube.com/c/TTRacesOfficial
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Personally I don't think so.
As long as it was only racers doing the dying and injury part. It's a known risk.
If they ban this, then what other sports and sporting events would have to be considered?
I mean, what makes Isle of Man special, that it be banned but not, say, skydiving or wing-suiting (whatever you call the activity)?
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
As long as it was only racers doing the dying and injury part. It's a known risk.
If they ban this, then what other sports and sporting events would have to be considered?
I mean, what makes Isle of Man special, that it be banned but not, say, skydiving or wing-suiting (whatever you call the activity)?
Madison Sully wrote:
Sully I probably side with you as the racers do know the risk. However talk to someone like my better half and the opinion is very different. Face it, just the fact that we ride comes with some level of risk. Not like the racers but it's there. Still we do it because we love it and while I'll admit I was pretty shaken up by my accident I still ride. It was on a Vespa but the irony is it was the "big" bikes it took me a while to get back on but I was out in a downpour today on my GSA 1250 and had a huge smile on my face.

The racers that do the TT are a different breed all together but still they reason is the same. They do it because they love it and are passionate about the sport. Sure, some of them make some good money but many do not. For a few sponsorship bucks there are way safer professions out there.
UTC

20 GTS Super Tech 300

20 GTS Super Tech 300
UTC quote
No they know what they are doing and are professionals. I would just try and make run off areas or bad spots as safe as you can.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Other race tracks for all speed sports have runoff areas, gravel traps, appropriate fencing and medical facilities and personal nearby for assistance.

They don't race on the full Nurburgring, Spa Francorchamp or Parabolica at Monza among other historic tracks. The AMA stopped motorcycle road racing at Loudon's Road Race course after a fatality and injuries.

Sometimes you just have to say enough.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Racing on roads is always going to be way more dangerous than on tracks, that's just the way it is.

The Isle of Man TT is an example that seems pretty extreme but the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (which includes a motorcycle category) is pretty crazy too. Or more locally to me the Targa Tasmania (no bikes) has had a few deaths in the last couple of years and is a now cancelled.

And of course there's the regular rally racing on sealed and unsealed roads (eg WRC) ...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Nanny states...

Let the rider decide! In this case the racers.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Nanny states...

Let the rider decide! In this case the racers.
I agree to the point that riders should make intelligent decisions regarding risk. There's the rub though. Intelligence. Freedom of choice. Where does the state step in?

I wish it was easy and fit on a t-shirt of bumper sticker but unfortunately practically every damn thing is far more complex than anyone wants to accept. It's why we get bullshit, one size fits all laws. One size never fits all.

Maybe for the Isle of Man they just need a minimum age requirement. Say, well, 48??
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Not forgetting the Isle of Man has almost a completely separate government from the UK - I don't see the Tynwald banning a major source of income for the Island anytime soon.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
5 deaths in one race is horrific. Imagine if 5 drivers died in a Nascar Race? I'm a freedom loving individual but this seems extreme. Where do you draw the line between russian roulette and racing.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
Never saw the point.
Once you watch a bike go by at those speeds
...in those confines - you go "wow, that's crazy! Let's get a taco."
(I've been to Le Mans....it's what people do)
Yeah, no they'll never cut off this source of income.
Limit the bikes to 100cc, use more hay bales, and enjoy the skill of the builders and riders.

but, everyone knows why the crowds come to this.....
O.S.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
Mad Sunday will continue to have more & more restrictions
The locals aren't for the most part complaining & never will so long as there isn't collateral damage, just racers & tourists leaving wads of cash behind every year
The racers will come as long as someone puts on a race

So no there won't be a ban anytime soon

I've had plenty of fun riding stupid fast on mountain roads
After a close call some years ago, I started acting as if the road was only 1/2 as wide & stay in the middle of the proper side
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I just watched a bunch of videos from the Island of Man TT. I was ignorant on the subject. My gosh that is some racing. Call the riders crazy?, have you seen the side car bikes racing? The dude in the side car is the crazy one.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (which includes a motorcycle category) is pretty crazy too.
Not anymore. The Pikes Peak event no longer has a motorcycle category after one person perished. The bikes are fast and getting faster so they are no longer included.

Kenny Roberts, one of America's best, said, "You ride on the streets, you race on the track." and never entered the IOM while winning several 500cc World Championships.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
Not only should the race be banned but the name of the place should immediately be changed to "The Isle of People".
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Other race tracks for all speed sports have runoff areas, gravel traps, appropriate fencing and medical facilities and personal nearby for assistance.

They don't race on the full Nurburgring, Spa Francorchamp or Parabolica at Monza among other historic tracks. The AMA stopped motorcycle road racing at Loudon's Road Race course after a fatality and injuries.

Sometimes you just have to say enough.
I am with you on this. Track after track gets modified to reduce the risk of dying or severe injuries. Why not for this race? Personally I don't want to watch people getting hurt for my entertainment.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
GBaby wrote:
Not only should the race be banned but the name of the place should immediately be changed to "The Isle of People".
The isle of tailless cats maybe?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
They do race bikes at Spa Francorchamp as well as running a 24 hour event.

Written on the back of every ticket is - Motorsport is Dangerous, so if you attend the event and you see something unpleasant you were warned.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Maybe for the Isle of Man they just need a minimum age requirement. Say, well, 48??
Except the oldest rider to die this year was aged 53.

Put thousands of motorcyclists on a tiny island with a racing circuit for 2 weeks and inevitably you will get casualties, the number of fatalities become skewed.

Should the TT be banned? - No. Don't take away the liberty of the motorcyclist who enjoys speed. We are all adults and know the potential risks of riding fast on 2 wheels.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
It is a fine line - as long as the event gathers people to see ultimate motoring skills we may be on the right path.

If if starts to gather vultures, folks who go there in anticipation to see damage, then it's time to pack it.

I also seriously think they should try a bit harder to improve safety in the Isle of Man TT - it smells a tad 'optimizing profits using racing spirit as an excuse' approach, but I do hope I'm wrong with this.
Isle of man death statistics
Isle of man death statistics
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Well it makes sense that more people will be injured and killed when the speeds and performance increase.

If you ban the TT then you should ban the North West 200 also.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
If you start banning sports because the participants could ultimately end up dead, you're not going to be left with a lot of sports!

It should be left up to the individual (adult) whether to risk one's neck in this way, just the same as skiing, potholing, hang-gliding, boxing etc.

The 'course' can only be made so safe because for 50 weeks of the year, it's not a course.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Well it makes sense that more people will be injured and killed when the speeds and performance increase.

If you ban the TT then you should ban the North West 200 also.
Good point on speed and performance. I was wondering the same thing and the bikes/hacks in the same category are going to be faster. You can argue that the gear is better made now but full kit in the leathers has been pretty well made for a long time now. Helmets however have definitely seen major improvements. They have in recent years I believe added more run offs and hay bales so they aren't crashing in to brick walls.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
In 1989 I attended the 24 hours of Le Mans Motorcycle Race and during the weekend 9 people died.

None of them died on the race track. It was exclusively down to race fans getting drunk and riding into things like cars and other hard surfaces outside the circuit.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
They do race bikes at Spa Francorchamp as well as running a 24 hour event.
But was the race on the full older track, what was it 7 or 8 miles, that they raced in the 1960s or the present, shorter sanitized circuit?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
One thing that you can't call Spa Francorchamp is sanitised.

This may be shorter than the old version but it's fast and as dangerous as hell.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
One thing that you can't call Spa Francorchamp is sanitised.

This may be shorter than the old version but it's fast and as dangerous as hell.
Granted, but it's nothing like the old track with hazards galore.

But, like the Isle of Man there were things about it that just couldn't be fixed. Where do you even start when guys are racing by the corners of buildings at blinding speeds? Going airborne at over 100 mph? When it started bikes had maybe fifteen or twenty horsepower. Now two hundred is every day.

Do I want to see it banned? Not really. But five people perishing every year is just not cool. Maybe a shorter circuit with some of the more deadly spots removed if possible is about the only answer since building a full race circuit there is just not possible.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
How many motorcyclists die every day on the roads and not on the racetracks ?

It's not about the length of the circuit, it's about the speed that you crash at and what you impact with.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
There is a whole series of Road Races for motorcycles, so would you cancel the whole series? The Isle of Man TT is a bit unique in regards to length of the circuit and speeds experienced, but I thoroughly enjoy this annual spectacle.

While the death toll is very high, the participants are aware of the risk. Riding two wheelers involves inherent risk no matter on a closed course or normal public traffic.

I have heard of a program that will let you work as a race marshal for the TT. I am hoping I will be able to volunteer for this at least once in my lifetime.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Oh ffs - there are far more deaths in sports like rugby and American football than in motor sports. Are you going to ban those? Thought not.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
How many motorcyclists die every day on the roads and not on the racetracks ?

It's not about the length of the circuit, it's about the speed that you crash at and what you impact with.
Looking at it that way you are correct sir. We all make choices that can end up badly.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
UTC quote
I'm firmly in the "let the rider decide" camp but as a thought experiment, when I imagine myself as one of the organizers of the event, I would have to be very bold, very committed , to know that at least one person is going to die during the proceedings. It's happened in something like 74 out of the past 75 years. It's a sure thing. I'm not sure I could do it, even while holding nothing against those who do, and having no desire to stop them.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Hang on. We all ride scooters or motorcycles so we are all at a higher risk of injury or death than most other motorists but we accept that as part of the deal.

When you take that acceptance to a competitive level the risk increases and sometimes people die.

More people across the world will die on two wheels in a day than in an entire week at this event so why are we questioning its future ?

I hate to point out the obvious but the element of risk is part of the attraction.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I don't think banning is the answer, but making the course safer for those involved should be possible without taking the excitement out. MotoGP tracks have been made much safer over the years and the races are still fun to watch for spectators.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
This was typical football gear in 1910.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

We've added a few pads since then for safety.

It's a dangerous race. Nobody goes into it thinking any differently. I'd like to see statistics, though, on number of deaths per number of participants compared to other sports.

At the end of the day people will push the limits of everything. I just looked at an article about the most dangerous sports. These are the top 10.

1. Base Jumping (could have seen that coming)
2. Horse riding
3. Scuba diving
4. Running of the bulls
5. Jallikattu (bull taming)
6. Bull riding (seeing a pattern)
7. Gymnastics
8. Boxing
9. Soccer
10. Cycling

So, yeah ... we do dangerous things for entertainment. I think the TT gets a bad rap because people who die climbing Mt Everest don't die instantly in a spectacular crash on camera. They're no less dead, though.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Hang on. We all ride scooters or motorcycles so we are all at a higher risk of injury or death than most other motorists but we accept that as part of the deal.

When you take that acceptance to a competitive level the risk increases and sometimes people die.

More people across the world will die on two wheels in a day than in an entire week at this event so why are we questioning its future ?

I hate to point out the obvious but the element of risk is part of the attraction.
Very true.

I do not know if there are animals that deliberately seek risk to enjoy the kick of it.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
This two wheeled stuff is dangerous. I think about it every time I ride.
Yet, off we go for the amazing thrill of two wheeled riding.

There is a fine line between protecting and limiting choice. If you are not
endangering someone else, I am an advocate of free choice.

It is like when the mandatory helmet law was repealed in Minnesota.
A very heated debate occurred. I almost always wear a helmet - but
leave it up to you as an adult to choose.

Bob Copeland
Rest Stop on a Group Ride Yesterday - Everyone wore helmets.
Rest Stop on a Group Ride Yesterday - Everyone wore helmets.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
Some folks only truly feel alive out at the limits of talent and traction.

Few spectate for the gore; most go to witness something more intense than their daily regimen, imbibe in the fumes of adrenaline and petroleum, perchance to be inspired to gap the spark of their lives a bit tighter and brighter.
@vsteve49 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 PX 150, 2008 LX 150 2022 Sei Giorni., 2016 Sprint 3vie

Hooked
@vsteve49 avatar
2005 PX 150, 2008 LX 150 2022 Sei Giorni., 2016 Sprint 3vie
UTC quote
I'm not sure that an race event should be banned, because people who don't race think that it is to dangerous. If the racers think that its to dangerous they wont enter the event, and the event will die out. Let the racers decide. IMHO
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Quote:
Should Isle of Man TT be Banned?
-Since 1903 racing on the highways and byways of Britain was impossible, forbidden by Act of Parliament.
-Sir Julian Orde, set off in February 1904 for the Isle of Man because he had a fairly shrewd idea that the Manx authorities would adopt a more conciliatory attitude to automobile racing on public roads. he was right.

If one lives and votes in the IOM then one can use their opinion at the ballot box. The IOM government is considered one of the oldest parliaments and IOM residents have their own passports.

If the IOM were to be banned what about Irish Road Racing? Robert Dunlop was killed at the North West 200. William Dunlop (son) was killed at the Skerries 100 Road Race. Et al.

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0205s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]