OP
UTC

Vespa 125

Vespa 125
UTC quote
I have a 62 vnb and I just put it back together but I'm having some electrical problems. The kill switch, the horn, and the headlight work fine.

The headlight works, but the front running light does not. I have blown out 2 rear running lights already. (Cooked, sooty.) The rear brake light worked for a minute, but doesn't now. Any ideas?

I'm not sure where to start. I did take it for a blast around the block. Nice to have a scoot that goes. Just need to tighten up the electrical. So close!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

71 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

71 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Did you upgrade the electrical to 12V, or are you still running the 6V "balanced" system?

Unless you're a serious purist, I'd suggest a 12V upgrade if it's an option for you.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
If your still using a 6 volt system, try one of these. Body screws to frame and is grounded and yellow wire goes to a junction point on circuit your trying to regulate or limit. It basically sends extra voltage to ground through body.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125038392679?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NPMxQAH_Tzu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=AKybdM41Tee&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
Use the scooterhelp diagram and make sure the grounds are good. Check the volts for the two wires that power the brake lights and the running lights.
The two running lights are powered from the same stator wire and at the junction box the volts should be around 6v or so. Maybe it's too high and stator is bad. Check volts at idle and revving motor.
The brake light shares a ground with the rear running lights but powered by a different wire. Make sure the ground at the rear of bike is good.
My guesses are bad grounds, bad stator, or wrong bulb wattage. A 6v regulators may help but covers up the real problem.
At least the one stator wire/coil that powers the horn and headlights seems to be working.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
If this is a 6v model with yellow and blue lighting coil (yellow tail, blue brake) then you'll have to get the pilot light working. Without it the tail will be overloaded and blow! With both these now out of circuit the brake light can't function when the lights are on.
OP
UTC

Vespa 125

Vespa 125
UTC quote
Thanks everybody. After I posted I went back and looked at the old manual that came with the bike. I noticed that the manual states that a double black wire gets grounded to the frame. (Inside) When I installed the wiring harness I don't recall there being any double blacks coming off the harness for the frame. The only ground I have on this harness is to the engine. Guess I'll go pull the tank and go spelunking.

Maybe this is a case of getting a wiring harness that will technically work but isn't necessarily the exact wiring harness for this particular scoot.

Maybe: There was an extra length of blue wire connected to the yellow that connects to the front running light. Was this supposed to be grounded?

Thanks again!
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
The grounds don't actually go directly on the frame. The grounds are the components screwed onto the frame.
The headlights ground is the handlebar switch screwed into the metal handlebar.
The brake light ground is when the brake pedal switch is pressed.
The rear pilot light ground is the rear light screwed into the metal frame.

Make sure the screws for the handlebar switch and the rear light has clean metal contacts with the frame.

If no luck after cleaning/ checking grounds, check voltage at the junction box. And please make sure bulbs are good.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Metalmover wrote:
There was an extra length of blue wire connected to the yellow that connects to the front running light. Was this supposed to be grounded?

Thanks again!
If you earth the blue connected to the yellow you wouldn't have any running lights at all! Is this blue your speedo lamp feed?

I can't see this being an earth problem as the rear is getting too much current, not less. Also, the headlight shares the same earth as the front running light and this works so that is ok.
The yellow that supplies the tail is also connected to the front running light so this should work unless there is a problem with the lamp or lamp holder. A non working front running lamp will cause the problems you have.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0098s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]