OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1889
Location: Hyde Park, New York
 
Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1889
Location: Hyde Park, New York
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
 
Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3924
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
UTC quote
My takeaway: It depends.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Following amateriat's lead...

My take away: There's massive opportunity for innovation and business.

My career for the last several decades has been solving hard science and engineering problems - really hard. The kind of problems that sound impossible when you start. Where many scientist and engineers are pessimistic about a solution. But given some time to think about potential approaches, putting teams together to find potential viable approaches, we almost always came forward with imaginative and innovative solutions to those "impossible problems". There's always a way. My graduate advisor once said to me, "Miguel, the solution to most problems is crafting the problem onto a similar problem you already know to solve." Brilliant!

Simply defining the problems is 50% of the solution. The article presented a lot of the problem areas, many look quite ripe for new approaches, fresh ideas and innovation. That's the first step to finding solutions.

My advice is don't give up. Solutions to hard problems take time to gestate and take form. Building the solution takes time once you've proven the basic solution. Advances can be slow but they do come.

Have faith. Naysayers never solve problems. Be optimistic. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Thanks for the article. Pep talk over! Miguel
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
Joined: UTC
Posts: 546
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
 
Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
Joined: UTC
Posts: 546
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
UTC quote
Good article, thanks for posting.

Most of it was already known to me but what I didn't realise was just how heavy the HD Livewire battery is at 113KG or 249 LBS. That's not far off twice my weight!

That figure needs to come down significantly and I'm sure it will but sooner the better.
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
 
Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Following amateriat's lead...

My take away: There's massive opportunity for innovation and business.

My career for the last several decades has been solving hard science and engineering problems - really hard. The kind of problems that sound impossible when you start. Where many scientist and engineers are pessimistic about a solution. But given some time to think about potential approaches, putting teams together to find potential viable approaches, we almost always came forward with imaginative and innovative solutions to those "impossible problems". There's always a way. My graduate advisor once said to me, "Miguel, the solution to most problems is crafting the problem onto a similar problem you already know to solve." Brilliant!

Simply defining the problems is 50% of the solution. The article presented a lot of the problem areas, many look quite ripe for new approaches, fresh ideas and innovation. That's the first step to finding solutions.

My advice is don't give up. Solutions to hard problems take time to gestate and take form. Building the solution takes time once you've proven the basic solution. Advances can be slow but they do come.

Have faith. Naysayers never solve problems. Be optimistic. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Thanks for the article. Pep talk over! Miguel
Miguel, would you please take on the problem of building a working fusion reactor? Preferable a micro or nano sized one please.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
KimPossible wrote:
Miguel, would you please take on the problem of building a working fusion reactor? Preferable a micro or nano sized one please.
Hah!! It's an admiral goal and a problem that someone solves but there are so many logistical and regulatory hurdles that I think it will be sometime before we see something that you could power a scooter with!

Miguel
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
 
Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Hah!! It's an admiral goal and a problem that someone solves but there are so many logistical and regulatory hurdles that I think it will be sometime before we see something that you could power a scooter with!

Miguel
Really, just show them how to finally get more energy out than they put in. If someone solves the engineering and physics problem, the regulatory hurdles will be stringent, but surmountable. They've been working on this for more than 40 years.

As a librarian, I'm sure that they are going about this backwards. Instead of superheating to plasma to overcome the repelling force of the electron, they just need to turn off the electron for a nanosecond. Then the nuclear force will take over. Yeah, I'm certain that is what they should do. ROFL emoticon

Room temperature nano-fusion, that's all I want.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
KimPossible wrote:
Really, just show them how to finally get more energy out than they put in. If someone solves the engineering and physics problem, the regulatory hurdles will be stringent, but surmountable. They've been working on this for more than 40 years.

As a librarian, I'm sure that they are going about this backwards. Instead of superheating to plasma to overcome the repelling force of the electron, they just need to turn off the electron for a nanosecond. Then the nuclear force will take over. Yeah, I'm certain that is what they should do. ROFL emoticon

Room temperature nano-fusion, that's all I want.
A physicist that I worked with once explained the difference between a physicist and engineer. Physicist measure things and the precision and accuracy to which they can measure something is the end goal. Engineers build things to solve problems using physical principles and mostly existing devices. There is, as you expect, a lot of cross over. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm really an engineer at heart and the deep physics associated with room temp fusion is way out of my sweet spot. Thanks for the confidence tho!

Miguel
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0172s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0073s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]