OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
Hello all. Just serviced my driven pulley in my et2. The variator pulley fan gets shredded up. I'm not sure why. Everything seems seated correctly as it should be. When I kick start the bike there is a scrapping sound inside the cvt case. I take the cover off and there's no noise so something is running on the cover. I'm certain everything is pushed in and is snug as tightly as it should be but obviously something is off. Also my electric strat isn't working but that's another issue. The bendex starter spins but that's about it. Could it be the relay? Any and all help is greatly appreciated as usual
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 LX150

Enthusiast
2007 LX150
UTC quote
Sounds like the outer half of the pulley is not fully seated against the boss. When reassembling, did you pull open the rear pulley to relieve slack on the belt? Doing that helps to keep a tight belt from preventing the outer pulley half from seating all the way.

An outer pulley half not fully seated would also cause the bendex issue that you're describing. If the outer half is too far out, then the bendex gear isn't able to engage with the teeth on the pulley when it spins out.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
I squeezed the rear pulley so I could get the belt down into it. And it sat on the variator boss as it normally does. Maybe I'm misunderstanding
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 LX150

Enthusiast
2007 LX150
UTC quote
When reassembling the front pulley, you don't want the belt to sit on the boss - that's the tightest spot between the two pulley halves. You want belt to be higher up on the front pulley, the widest spot between the two halves, so that it's not getting in the way of seating the outer half. That's why you squeeze the rear pulley - to provide enough slack in the belt so that's it's able to reach the top of the front pulley.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
Okay I think I get it. Let me take it apart and report back
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
Okay so I pulled everything off and got the belt as far into the rear pulley as humanly possible, reseated the front pulley as far in as I could and tightened everything down. The bendex comes out and grabs the front gear but it stops. It's like it isn't strong enough to move it? Battery is fully charged. And with the cvt cover back on I'm still getting this grinding sound. Seems like it could be the variator fan. I revved it up really high and got a burning rubber smell. I'm at a loss not sure what else I can do
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 LX150

Enthusiast
2007 LX150
UTC quote
Any chance you can take a photo of cvt with the cover off? Is the back wheel turning when you rev it up high? Burning rubber smell would come from a belt that not being grabbed by the pulley, but rather just getting spun on the crankshaft.

Are you sure you have all the pieces assembled in the right order on the crankshaft?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
ill take some pics tomorrow and post. Im pretty certain I have everything assmebled correctly but obviously im fudging something up
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
how important is it to have the variator fan on? im curious what taking that off will do and ifd thats where the noise is coming from
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
i also noticed that the clutch bearing thats on the inside of the cvt cover is not very smooth
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 LX150

Enthusiast
2007 LX150
UTC quote
The fan is important. Keep it on. The fan rubbing against the case cover is indicative of some other issue that's still unresolved. It shouldn't be doing that.

The bearing on the back half of the case is easy to replace. It's a standard size (don't remember off the top of my head). You should be able to find a replacement at any good hardware store, or they can be ordered from one of the go-to scooter parts sites.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
So turns out the sound is coming from the kickstart mechanism. I think I'm missing a clip of something that keeps the kickstart lever pulled away from the case. Maybe a can just wrap some wire it something around so it doesn't get pushed in too far
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
Still not sure about the electric start. The bendex engages the gear but dogs as if it's not strong enough to turn the bike over. Electrical stuff really intimates me too tinker with
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
Was able to get a clip down into there. It looks like there's a groove for one there I mustve lost it at some point
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
The kick start lever comes off with the case I believe
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2

Enthusiast
2001 Vespa et2
UTC quote
I've taken it all apart in the past when trying to fix the kickstart. There must be a clip or washer that sits between the cast and the lever to prevent the mechanism from moving too far into the case. I had to order a new lever so I ordered a clip with it. I wish stage6 made a lever that works with the et2 their stuff looks so cool
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]