OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
On 14 June, just a few days ago, I took the plunge after loads of research and review reading and travelled from my home in Hua Hin to Bangkok to collect the brand new 300 Supertech I had arranged to buy from an official Thai Vespa dealership.

I collected the scooter, and after being familiarised with it, I set off on the 200km ride home. After an uneventful refuelling stop, I stopped 72km into my ride for a coffee break.

When I went to restart the bike, it turned over, spluttered, and died. It would not restart. The dealership sent a truck, and got me and the bike back to the showroom.

Next day, I was told it was a spark plug issue, and was promised it was fixed and would not recur. That didn't seem right to me, given that when it died there was a strong smell of petrol, and it appeared to have flooded or to have a fuel related issue.

As I was about to leave and restart my journey, the manager approached me and confessed that it was actually a "big problem" with the fuel pump, and offered me a full refund. I was told the bike would have to be sent back to the factory in Vietnam to be repaired, a 2 month process. I accepted the refund, rather than grapple with the dealer over a long repair.

Going online now, I have found loads of reports of identical problems, some going back years, but common in the 2022 300 model range. Apparently a recall is planned.

Just wondering what others know, and what experiences they have to share. I am very disappointed that I don't own a reliable new Vespa. Thinking of modifying my choice and looking at a new 150 Sprint, but only if they don't share the 300 fuel pump issues.

Would really appreciate any feedback or info.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
it does not need to go to the factory to replace the fuel pump. Any qualified vespa mechanic can do this.

here is a video showing how to replace the fuel pump
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I've done several - quite easy. Especially quick if you let the dealer know you'll let them claim for the warranty while you replace the pump yourself. You may well find they have a few on their shelf...
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
This was a one day old purchase, which I was not in a position to repair. The dealer was very clear that a return to the Vietnamese factory was the only repair option they had.

In the position I was in 200km from home, accepting the refund offered was the only real option for me, although very disappointing.

I cant see that a home repair at my cost for a major fault on a 1 day old brand new vehicle, which is at the top of the dealer's range, and under warranty makes any sense.

But to get back to my question, does anyone have any info on similar issues with the 150 models?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
I say: Get thee back to to thy dealer for recall information.

When I first brought my '22 GTS SuperTech to my dealer a day after it conked out a mile from home (luckily), they said they'd give it the once-over; by day's end, they called me back, telling me they couldn't replicate the failure, and since "couldn't replicate the failure" isn't covered under warranty, I was on the hook for an hour's shop labor when I picked th bike up the next day. But, when I called the next morning to arrange picking the bike up, they said they were about to call me because Piaggio had just contacted them regarding a "service update" for certain Vespa models, including GTS, Primavera and Sprint models…and, indeed, my GTS was among those falling under this "alert." They're not calling this a recall…(damn, I want to make a "special military operation" joke here, but that's not funny at all…)

To Wit: If your dealer's on the ball at all, they should already know if your (former) bike falls under this service alert (hint: it failed, so it's likely on the list.) Can't see why the dealer could't handle this in-hpuse, assuming they have a service department. My dealer had my bike up and running in a week.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 2 times
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks, interesting. Perhaps there is a different dealer policy in your market? My dealer was absolutely clear (eventually) that it was a return to the factory option only.

They do have a reasonable sized service department, so I can only assume that that is the policy directed by Vespa Thailand in this market.

That is only speculation, as I couldn't get anything further from anyone here, including Vespa Thailand who have declined to respond to my emails asking for for information.

But for whatever reason, a repair in less than the 2 months I was quoted was not on the table.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Shimonnz wrote:
Thanks, interesting. Perhaps there is a different dealer policy in your market? My dealer was absolutely clear (eventually) that it was a return to the factory option only.

They do have a reasonable sized service department, so I can only assume that that is the policy directed by Vespa Thailand in this market.

That is only speculation, as I couldn't get anything further from anyone here, including Vespa Thailand who have declined to respond to my emails asking for for information.

But for whatever reason, a repair in less than the 2 months I was quoted was not on the table.
Very sorry to hear this. I'm quite stunned by the long timeline in getting something like this handled there. Here in the States some dealerships are clearly better than others in this regard…I'm lucky to have a fairly decent one.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
2022 VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Very sorry to hear this. I'm quite stunned by the long timeline ig getting something like this handled there. Here in the States some dealerships are clearly better than others in this regard…I'm lucky to have a fairly decent one.
I echo this sentiment. We are lucky to be around some great dealerships. Sorry this happened to you man. I remember the day my fuel pump gave out. I almost cried since I was only 477 miles in......and oh man I love this thing

That is great that the dealer offered you a full refund, because they didn't have to do that......but it's sad that it would take so long.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]