OP
@delaadam avatar
UTC

P150S Strada, Lambretta 150 LD

@delaadam avatar
UTC quote
I have a 1983 Vespa P150S ( Indo. model). WAS running but very poorly. would kick over and rev super high. could not get the carb adjusted with turns. I switched the carb, then kicked over and ran a few times very weak and would stall. Then I prob. flooded it. Would not fire up at all. for 2 days. Then- Totally cleaned my orig. Dellorto carb.- jets and all- and put it back on. Will not fire up at all. Has good spark. getting fuel. Tried starting fluid etc. Tried putting it in 2nd and bump starting- for another 2 days. Has mildly low compression- 90 psi. Any help as to how to get this fired up would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
You barely have enough compression to run it and it sounds like it also has an air leak. Honestly, I think there is no quick fix, an engine rebuild/refresh is in order.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Also, you will get more responses on the NSM side where the 2 stroke guys and girls hang out.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Have you changed the gear oil? Is there gas in the oil? If so, the clutch side seal is blown.

Also, I agree with Tierney. It sounds like an air leak. Check the flywheel side seal for a leak also.

Sorry man Hope this helps...
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
You barely have enough compression to run it and it sounds like it also has an air leak. Honestly, I think there is no quick fix, an engine rebuild/refresh is in order.
^ +1
OP
@delaadam avatar
UTC

@delaadam avatar
UTC quote
Ok, Thanks for the responses. I was hoping it was something easy, but thinking it was something like described. I'll have to pull the engine and start going through it!
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
DelaAdam wrote:
Ok, Thanks for the responses. I was hoping it was something easy, but thinking it was something like described. I'll have to pull the engine and start going through it!
You may get lucky and not need to pull the motor and just tiddy up the outside bits. Drop the gear oil and check for gas. If you smell gas in the gear oil, clutch seal is bad and splitting the cases is required to fix. If you don't smell gas you maybe home free.

Pull the head and cylinder and change piston rings since compression is a little low. New gasket with some motoseal and torque up head nuts to spec. Pull the flywheel and stator and change that seal for insurance. Just need to pick seal out and tap back in.

Hope that helps and you can avoid a case split.

Good luck!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
I'd try this^^^ too if there's no gas in your transmission oil, and I would add a light hone on your cylinder. Also, check your plug when it won't start to see if it's wet or dry so yo KNOW if it's flooded or thirsty.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]