@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
I was just going through the current list of their apps to list all the supported models and found a different app listed as for Internal Testing. And guess what I found in the description of this? "test IAP". What does IAP stand for? It's "In App Purchasing"

I suspect it could be for renewing the navigation license which is only 3 years with a supertech and for me runs out in about 6 months. Cheapskates, should be unlimited

If it is only this then it won't affect me as I use my own app to relay google maps to the tft on my supertech Razz emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300
UTC quote
3rd party systems (Google/Apple, etc) seem to be the long term solution for the transportation industry. 3rd parties want/need your data, and that only comes if their product is useful, so they'll update and refresh to keep you.

Even most auto manufacturers charged $$ to update maps on their installed GPS systems (which look ugly and outdated after a year or 2). Manufacturers are not going to commit to a lifetime of software updates like maps. Their product is the vehicle, and you already bought it
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
mrob wrote:
3rd party systems (Google/Apple, etc) seem to be the long term solution for the transportation industry. 3rd parties want/need your data, and that only comes if their product is useful, so they'll update and refresh to keep you.

Even most auto manufacturers charged $$ to update maps on their installed GPS systems (which look ugly and outdated after a year or 2). Manufacturers are not going to commit to a lifetime of software updates like maps. Their product is the vehicle, and you already bought it
Yup. Bastards.

FYI it's not Google/Apple in this case. Piaggio licence their navigation system from here.com. And for curiosity here's the Wikipedia info
Quote:
HERE Technologies (trading as HERE) is a multinational group dealing with mapping, location data and related automotive services to individuals and companies. It is majority-owned by a consortium of German automotive companies (namely Audi, BMW, the Mercedes-Benz Group) and American semiconductor company Intel whilst other companies also own minority stakes. Its roots date back to U.S.-based Navteq in 1985, which was acquired by Finland-based Nokia in 2007. HERE is currently based in The Netherlands.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Hopefully they get CarPlay integration soon.

Now where are my nomex underpants?
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Now where are my nomex underpants?
In the wash 'cause you wear them so much 😝
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
I was just going through the current list of their apps to list all the supported models and found a different app listed as for Internal Testing. And guess what I found in the description of this? "test IAP". What does IAP stand for? It's "In App Purchasing"

I suspect it could be for renewing the navigation license which is only 3 years with a supertech and for me runs out in about 6 months. Cheapskates, should be unlimited

If it is only this then it won't affect me as I use my own app to relay google maps to the tft on my supertech Razz emoticon
Well, the other thing is that Piaggio's GPS map thingy is…what's the word I want here?…ah, yes, "underbaked." I play with it here-and-there, but it's seriously short on depth/details. Your app, combined with Google Maps, is the solid move from here on out, unless the big P invests in seriously beefing-up their offering. (Won't say it can't happen, but will it?)
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Well, the other thing is that Piaggio's GPS map thingy is…what's the word I want here?…ah, yes, "underbaked." I play with it here-and-there, but it's seriously short on depth/details. Your app, combined with Google Maps, is the solid move from here on out, unless the big P invests in seriously beefing-up their offering. (Won't say it can't happen, but will it?)
"underbaked"? lol, just a tad. It doesn't work properly and they appear to want to charge for part of it. Fail.

BTW the most recent update to Google maps broke my detection of their nav icons. Just finished fixing that today, should be uploaded to the store once i test it a bit more on the road.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
well with less than only 4 weeks left before expiry of my 3 year licence to use the maps in their app and no way of renewing ... yup, piaggio quality

thankfully I don't need their app anymore after writing my own 😃😃😃
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E, 2012 BMW R1200R

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E, 2012 BMW R1200R
UTC quote
CarPlay is the way forward for the user.
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Pepy27 wrote:
CarPlay is the way forward for the user.
Hell no
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
UTC quote
Works great in my cars
UTC

Enthusiast
Gts hpe supertech

Enthusiast
Gts hpe supertech
UTC quote
Pepy27 wrote:
Works great in my cars
Yeah I really enjoy car play in my car. Wish my vespa had it alone for Apple/Google maps.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
back to the original point of this post ...

map nav 3year license and in app billing

Well, I've crossed 3 years. as it approached that date I could see in the app that it had the expected expiry date (about a week ago now). when it actually passed that date it jumped forward to jan next year, rofl. the app checks the license by connecting to piaggio's server to find the expiry data, I can see in that request that the server updated it's reply to the new date. clearly piaggio had to change their server because they didn't have the billing system ready so have given me a free extension ROFL emoticon
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:

Well, I've crossed 3 years. as it approached that date I could see in the app that it had the expected expiry date (about a week ago now). when it actually passed that date it jumped forward to jan next year, rofl. the app checks the license by connecting to piaggio's server to find the expiry data, I can see in that request that the server updated it's reply to the new date. clearly piaggio had to change their server because they didn't have the billing system ready so have given me a free extension ROFL emoticon
Good deal but if you get in a pinch, an airbud and Apple (or Google) maps work great
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Good deal but if you get in a pinch, an airbud and Apple (or Google) maps work great
I actually don't use theirs at all. I use my own app that can monitor the Google Maps app and show it's direction info on my Supertech dash

see Looking for tester for my Android app for Vespa or Piaggio
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Any advantage to the map on the tft rather than on a phone mounted to a mirror stem, other than the mirror on the mirror stem being not so sexy?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:

Y'know, this was on my mind the week before, along with the (not likely) thought that byvthe time people started to have to pony-up for the thing, the map portion of the app might've gotten spruced up as well. Looks like they're 0-for-2 here.
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Any advantage to the map on the tft rather than on a phone mounted to a mirror stem, other than the mirror on the mirror stem being not so sexy?
Never like the though of having my phone backing in the Sun for long rides. Plus I get to do other things like record all bike and gps and tpms data and also show phone notifications on my tft and show warnings on my tft when the coolant temp goes above a threshold etc etc etc
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Fair 'nuff.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0162s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0085s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]