OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
So my Vespa px125 isn't starting after sitting in the garage for years.
After changing the sparkplug, jumpstarting the battery, having a look at the carburator i've come to the conclusion that fuel just isn't getting to the carburator anymore.

After taking a look inside the fuel tank i possibly found the problem.
There are like chips of rust?paint? is it the fuel gone bad? im not sure what it comes from but its very dirty and contaminated inside, i've drained the fuel and letting the fuel tank dry now.

I plan on cleaning it but i could use some advice on how to do it. Or what could give the best results for fixing this blockage.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb
UTC quote
Welcome.

Lots of good posts about cleaning tanks:

Ex -
Clean old gas tank

You will also need to clean/rebuild your carb and probably replace the fuel line if it's hardened.

Carb rebuild:
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
Thanks for pointing me in the right way. that post was exactly what i was looking for.

The carb is actually really clean, its clearly not getting any petrol anymore, if i unscrew the fuel line in there, its dry and wont flow with the tank open.
the bike is only 5 year old but barely used just under 300km on it.

Just confused how the fuel tank got in such a bad shape. Guess i'm going to have to take it out to clean it and take a better look at where the problem is located
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
It's just caused by condensation build up in tank and if the fuel is low it will slowly form rust inside the tank which will float to bottom and gets sucked in the carb. Then you will get all the crud hopefully caught by carb filter. Pic of my shbl carb after my mechanics tear down attached. Get an ethanol resistant fuel line and new ethanol resistant fuel tap. Is the tap hard to turn? When they stiffen can be ethanol fuel related. Have you made sure the petrol cap breather hole is clear , it's tiny like a pin hole. Poke some thin fuse wire through it to ensure it goes all the way through, blast with a compressed air tin.
Petrol tank crud in carb filter
Petrol tank crud in carb filter
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
So far i have managed to take the fuel tank out, filled it with acetone today after work and i will let it sit and shake it now and then for the next 24 hours. Possibly i'll repeat it and do a round with some rocks or bolts in there too
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
pgsmer wrote:
So far i have managed to take the fuel tank out, filled it with acetone today after work and i will let it sit and shake it now and then for the next 24 hours. Possibly i'll repeat it and do a round with some rocks or bolts in there too
Sounds like a plan , not rusty bolts though 😂😂😂. Measure your fuel line and get one at same length for replacement. New fuel tap too whilst your tanks out as they are so cheap. Would your partner object to you putting in the tumble drier? I did years ago when I wrapped an LD150 tank in a duvet to protect outside and drier and gave it a whirl, the noise was a dead give away and she weren't happy.
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Sounds like a plan , not rusty bolts though 😂😂😂. Measure your fuel line and get one at same length for replacement. New fuel tap too whilst your tanks out as they are so cheap. Would your partner object to you putting in the tumble drier? I did years ago when I wrapped an LD150 tank in a duvet to protect outside and drier and gave it a whirl, the noise was a dead give away and she weren't happy.
I was looking at it before and decided to wait but you're right, i just ordered what you suggested. Even if after the cleaning i get it working like this then i got some spare parts for the future
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Yes I would get the tap as they don't last and so much easier when tank empty to replace . You will notice how smooth and easy it is to turn after fitting and for 20 quid peanuts. Cut corners only equals grief later.
@mickeyfan1 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1965 VBB/2005 Stella

Enthusiast
@mickeyfan1 avatar
1965 VBB/2005 Stella
UTC quote
Cleaning the gas tank of my 1965 VBB barn find which was ungodly rusted was a piece of cake.
After removing the tank and fuel flow valve I took a long length of chain and put it in the tank. I then wrapped the tank in padding such as and old throw rug, towels, anything for padding and tying it securely around the tank, I popped it in the dryer and let it tumble for a few hours. This knocked most, if not all the rust off. I blew it out well then I filled it with apple cider vinegar and let it sit for couple of days. Low and behold the inside of the tank was sparking bare metal clean.
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
I guess i've encountered the next problem.

So replaced fuel tap, fuel line and cleaned the tank.
I can get it started now, so happy about that.

When using the throttle you can feel there is something wrong there,
the engine will run but not really react to it and when using the throttle it doesn't seem to go back in place.

Im thinking of the part in the carburator, maybe something wrong with the spring or the part in there might be stuck.
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Addicted
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 1966 Allstate Blue Badge Small Frame, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1980 Honda NC50

Addicted
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 1966 Allstate Blue Badge Small Frame, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1980 Honda NC50
UTC quote
I just tried this after hearing rave reviews. It's truly amazing stuff. Like electrolysis with out the battery charger.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/
OP
UTC

PX125

PX125
UTC quote
The problem was this plastic part being completely stuck.
After cleaning and using some lube everything seems to be working fine again.

Time to take it for a test drive
Thanks for the help here.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0318s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0090s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]