The scooter usually starts on a first start, but after a first drive (and a quick stop) there is trouble cranking. Sometimes it just thud and nothing, sometimes it is like a jarring clunk after I press start. I wait – sometimes for a few minutes, try again, and it starts. Sometimes I have to wait for like 5 minutes.
I spent hours diagnosing and jumping through hoops:
- Lights are up on key turn, break lights operate, on/off switch is ok. Fuel pump primes, dash lights up.
- Battery less than 1y old. Holds current 12.7, goes down first then up to 13.0 on start, on revs - 13.6. Honestly the same symptoms were present on the old battery.
- Checked for all the electrical issues (as per robots video). All normal readings. Battery charges ok. (did not check regulator/ too deep).
- Starter relay replaced to a new one. Again current to relay equals to that of the battery.
- Continuity checked battery->relay, relay-> starter, starter->battery, all ok.
- Starter removed and checked on external battery – it spins, with a large spark though. -
Cant tell if anything is abnormal. Put back into the scooter – symptoms are the same.
- Checked for parasitic current draw (pulling fuses, Amp reading) – nothing unusual detected.
- There is a short somewhere in the steering wheel cabling (clock resets occasionally when turned to the left, with a buzzing sound). It has been like that for years tho.
The only thing I seem to have left – sprag clutch? weak starter?
starting video here:
Last edited by keltis99 on Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:43:39 +0000; edited 1 time