@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Grumpnut wrote:
Those Pinasco rims look interesting, but$$.

Really I need one OE rim without being all rusty like the one I wish to replace.
I don't see the rims I got from Kristian on his Baritalia website now.

The FA's look good. Give Mark a call at Scooter Speed, or Matt/David at SM for an honest opinion.

Guessing stockish rims are all from one or maybe two Indian suppliers. Just the bolts/nuts/finish are different. I drilled out the bolts from the worst pair and replaced them with longer(and straight now) bolts to fit Nord Lock washers. Highly recommend them, at least on the four 8mm studs.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Protect them from dings and also rust. What I really don't get is why Pinasco didn't just shave the 2mm off their rim's thickness at the mounting holes. SIP has done it with their tubeless rims.

Maybe it's because SIP use a better (harder) grade of aluminum. I know that I ruined a Pinasco rim that ovaled all the mounting holes in maybe half a mile of riding when the nuts worked their way loose one time.
I wonder if SIP uses their lug nut for centering? With the recessed hole they have, I doubt threads even touch wheel.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

79 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I don't think they're that tight a fit with the funky 12mm M8 lug nuts they use, but it could be enough that if something came loose, it wouldn't get sawed on by the stud like the Pinasco's did.

I'll have to look at them with that in mind next time I wander out to the workshop.
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I don't think they're that tight a fit with the funky 12mm M8 lug nuts they use, but it could be enough that if something came loose, it wouldn't get sawed on by the stud like the Pinasco's did.

I'll have to look at them with that in mind next time I wander out to the workshop.
Would be interesting if there was a cone on end of nuts for centering.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
The nuts themselves are vertical, but there's not much clearance around the base, so the nut is potentially carrying a significant portion of the torque stress, rather than the rim. The connection area is probably 3-4mm, plus significantly more surface area, and steel-on-steel to boot.

Definitely better design than stock.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@grumpnut avatar
UTC

Hooked
'58 VBA

Hooked
@grumpnut avatar
'58 VBA
UTC quote
Well my Heidenaus shipped today. So I'll wager they're making scooter tires again. New tubes and rubber, yum
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@mod_eric_the_skin avatar
UTC

Hooked
'59 VBA, '05 Stella 177, '80 P125X

Hooked
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Highly recommend the (SIP branded) Heidenau inner tube if you want to ride with inner-tubes.
https://scooter-speed.com/inner-tube-3-50-8-sip/

Just had a freak incident. Got literally screwed!
This is only the third time I've had a flat in many years of scoot riding, FWIW.

Going maybe 30mph on a hot day. Rear tire imploded.
Like a hard seize, but pulling the clutch does nothing. At more MPH I'd have gone to asphalt.
Just had my first flat in while on my VBA, it's a butt- puckering experience. First flat was on my P125 at 50+ mph. Ate asphalt. This time it was at about 35- 40, and I was not 100% sure I was going to stay up until I came to a complete stop.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
The powder coat will turn to dust with a mapp gas torch at around 350F+. Wipe off with a shop towel after cooling.

I've bought three from different domestic suppliers.
On one the bolts were too short for even a spit washer.
On another the bolts were so crooked the rims wouldn't come apart without a hammer.
The only usable out of the box rims were from Baritalia Classics.
I have three sets from Mercado, all of them mate up well, and the powder coating it pretty good. It's hard to get the tire off with out scratching up the finish inside the rim though.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Mod Eric The Skin wrote:
Just had my first flat in while on my VBA, it's a butt- puckering experience. First flat was on my P125 at 50+ mph. Ate asphalt. This time it was at about 35- 40, and I was not 100% sure I was going to stay up until I came to a complete stop.
I've only had two blowouts. But both within a year of each other on the Allstate.
A few flats over many years of scooting, but a true blowout is as you describe.

Both were on very hot (like 100F) days, so the tires mushed into a you-can't-even-push-it-off-the-road state.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0177s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0085s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]